Keeping Occupied During Retirement In Pi........

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
I have a deadline self-imposed to have 90% of all books in for proofing before she gets back.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm sounds like work to me :hystery: . But that's the neat thing about retirement, each of us will march to our own drummer :thumbsup:

• Like 4

John Mogusar
Posted
Posted

I love keeping my mind and body active.

While I'm not currently in the Philippines, I spent nearly three years there and plan on returning (permanently) next year.

I am learning how to sing. I hadn't sung since third grade music class before going to the Philippines in 2007. (I took violin lessons to get out of singing class) Eventually, I usually sang for hours a day while I was there.

If you enjoy a sport, especially basketball or volleyball, you can make friends with locals and they'll be happy to let you join them.

In America, there is always a certain level of stress, because I'm always worried about time.

In the Philippines, time doesn't mean much. If a volleyball match is scheduled for 4:00, your team will probably still be preparing to leave the barangay at that time. Be prepared to stand in long, slow lines.

If you can change your western mindset with regard to time, you will usually be totally relaxed and at peace.

It's amazing to have no worries. I will work full-time on the internet while I am there, but it always feels like a permanent vacation.

You just need to find a couple of hobbies that you love and you are set.

• Like 5

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I have a deadline self-imposed to have 90% of all books in for proofing before she gets back.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm sounds like work to me :hystery: . But that's the neat thing about retirement, each of us will march to our own drummer :thumbsup:

I think of it more as a secondary pension or at least a supplement I'm building. Who knows? I may be the next Tom Clancy (and be disgustingly rich) or John clancey (who sold 3 whole single copies of the 12 he wrote)!

• Like 1

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
The kids here don't really understand Pensions, so when they ask me where I work I tell them the UK Government  Undercover
If you were bored before retirement, you will be bored after retirement.

I get that you work for the government, but it must be hard to do under the covers in the tropics.

You may be bored, if you have time......what with getting up making coffee eating breakfast and desperately thinking of excuses to not do what your wife insists if a high priority, like painting the fence, again,...........then you need to do your research (papers, books, computer........then plan lunch, hopefully with other retirees, discuss the news, solve the world problems......at times do some work for others or organizations........all this before it is time to inspect the inside of your eyelids for at least an hour.........At witch time it is now time to eat dinner or go to visit or mix the paint for whoever is doing the fence.

I get exhausted just thinking about all this.......

I had time to  be bored before I ;retired'.  

• Like 3

intrepid
Posted
Posted

I remember calling my retired uncle and asking if he would be sometimes bored.  "Never", he always responded.  He was always busy trying to catch up on the things he could not finish the day before.  Resting or napping! :hystery:  My kind of retirement :thumbsup:

Then there was my coworker who retired about 4 years ago.  After a few months and then about once a year I would ask, " Do you get bored being retired".  The answer is always the same.  "Sometimes I do get a little bored,...  But not bored enough to look for a job!" :tiphat:

• Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)

The kids here don't really understand Pensions, so when they ask me where I work I tell them the UK Government  Undercover

If you were bored before retirement, you will be bored after retirement.

I get that you work for the government, but it must be hard to do under the covers in the tropics.

You may be bored, if you have time......what with getting up making coffee eating breakfast and desperately thinking of excuses to not do what your wife insists if a high priority, like painting the fence, again,...........then you need to do your research (papers, books, computer........then plan lunch, hopefully with other retirees, discuss the news, solve the world problems......at times do some work for others or organizations........all this before it is time to inspect the inside of your eyelids for at least an hour.........At witch time it is now time to eat dinner or go to visit or mix the paint for whoever is doing the fence.

I get exhausted just thinking about all this.......

I had time to  be bored before I ;retired'.  

:hystery:  Crisky Gerald, I just Got Tired from reading your post  :rolleyes:  (not tired of reading it but there were a lot of words to take in )  :)

Best thing I do is leave a message on the PC for the Maid (cos she is always sneaking a Look at FB) That way I can get her to do all the Arranging and Things and leave me in peace to be Bored (Tired) LOL  I tell my Wife daily, you just don't know how busy I get doing Nothing, Some days I don't know how I had  time to to have a Job before I retired, So Much to Do. Gotta Go as the Dogs need walking. That's a job I Like cos I can have a beer on the way back :thumbsup:

JP :tiphat:  :cheers:

Edited by Jack Peterson
  • Like 4

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
That's a job I Like cos I can have a beer on the way back  

It's a job if you go to happy hour after.

Here happy hour is 4-7PM...........that's 4 or 5 beers (drinks) easy.

So no mater when you walk the dog (or just have intercourse with him) It is 4-7 somewhere.  Just figure where and raise a glass to them

• Like 2