Keeping Occupied During Retirement In Pi........

rw191010
Posted
Posted

I love keeping my mind and body active.

While I'm not currently in the Philippines, I spent nearly three years there and plan on returning (permanently) next year.

I am learning how to sing. I hadn't sung since third grade music class before going to the Philippines in 2007. (I took violin lessons to get out of singing class) Eventually, I usually sang for hours a day while I was there.

If you enjoy a sport, especially basketball or volleyball, you can make friends with locals and they'll be happy to let you join them.

In America, there is always a certain level of stress, because I'm always worried about time.

In the Philippines, time doesn't mean much. If a volleyball match is scheduled for 4:00, your team will probably still be preparing to leave the barangay at that time. Be prepared to stand in long, slow lines.

If you can change your western mindset with regard to time, you will usually be totally relaxed and at peace.

It's amazing to have no worries. I will work full-time on the internet while I am there, but it always feels like a permanent vacation.

You just need to find a couple of hobbies that you love and you are set.

I'm also from Kansas, but now I have relocated my business to North Carolina.  I agree with trying to keep fit physically.  I intend to buy a mountain bike and explore Guimaras Island on it.  I do the daily walk of 1-2 hours, but I still have extra weight....a truck driver's worst enemy!  Being retired Army, it is hard for me to accept that Philippine time isn't the same as mine and I am the one who must adapt.

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
Have you ever tried golfing at the local country club?
Actually I have never tried golf.  It just doesn't look like my thing...although I do enjoy miniature golf  :tiphat:
  • Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I decided I was going to become a proficient author

:unsure:  i tried the rit  wryt rytin Story telling  thing once. Dismal but If I had been a Lot Older I may have had a mentor. MTE1ODA0OTcxNTQ5NDI3MjEz.jpg my Great Great Uncle on my Mothers side, was JM Barrie, hence my Street name

Hope it all goes well Bob :thumbsup:

:tiphat:

JP

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

i"s good at readin' and 'rithmetic so 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

The problem I have with any serious style of writing is it takes concentration.  Concentration gets destroyed when a 19 year old vampiress jumps on me every half hour and wants my full concentration while she sucks all the affection out of me.

• Like 2

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
decided I was going to become a proficient author and i try to spend 8 hours a day going so! Of course, the hardest part is all the research I must do... Studying mountains, beaches, volcanos, downtown, uptown, the women along the way, the stores, restaurants, even watching movies and videos and, yes, reading my favorite forum! It's a hard job!

When we move there full time I would be happy to assist you, as it sounds difficult and strenuous.  

• Like 2

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
Philippine time isn't the same as mine and I am the one who must adapt.

not hard just remember when you get up at 5 it is happy hour in Fil

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Actually I have never tried golf.  It just doesn't look like my thing...although I do enjoy miniature golf  :tiphat:

I agree. In golf it's ages between the actions, most of it is walking, and I find walking boring  (except when exploring interesting nature). But more action in table tennis than in mini golf   :)

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

I agree. In golf it's ages between the actions, most of it is walking, and I find walking boring  (except when exploring interesting nature). But more action in table tennis than in mini golf   :)

Great way to spoil a good walk but you have that one shot, and you try to emulate it, it's what keeps you coming back.

• Like 1

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
agree. In golf it's ages between the actions, most of it is walking, and I find walking boring  (except when exploring interesting nature). But more action in table tennis than in mini golf   Like This Selective Quote Top Quote MultiQuote

:999: You should golf with me Thomas, you may enjoy much interesting nature, Water, sand, trees, hiding from other golfers when they get un the way of my ball.  With me it is not a game but rather an adventure.   :th_unfair: 

• Like 1