Keeping Occupied During Retirement In Pi........

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)

Well I'm not there yet but pretty much the same as I do now but more of the things I enjoy without the work bit (which, tbh I only do when I have to - I'm lucky with regards to that)..

Diving, online gaming (yet to see how that will work out in PI but after seeing Frosty's PLDT connection I have high hopes, in Guihulngan it wasn't so good; PvP so the ping times count), guitar, music and sound engineering in general, writing, reading, gym, running, cycling (possibly suicidal), motorcycling (yes, after having been in the back and beyond, I will be bringing my Ducati with me for leisure riding), cooking from scratch.  Might even take up walking made less enjoyable by hitting a small white ball around again.  Of course sampling the local beverages.  Looking for that someone special as well will be on the list too but not in any great hurry on that front either.  

Edit:  Learning the local language is pretty high on the list.  I know it's not necessary but it's just a thing I do. 

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 3

UnCheckedOther
Posted
Posted

Jon1, MANGO wine? Would you care to share tips on how to make that? My heart just jumped at how delish that sounds.

• Like 2

jon1
Posted
Posted

Unchecked, check out this overview of the process http://www.lifeinsubic.com/p/mango-wine.html 

It is a very sweet light wine. If following the recipe, it should end up being about 11%ABV. Mine, I am not sure as I dropped my hydrometer and am waiting for a replacement to come. It is definitely better cold than room temp. Here is the thread that got me to thinking about making it http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f79/mango-pulp-wine-216092/ The thread does not cover the process completely so I made a few mistakes that I will rectify the next time. It is a clear almost transparent wine with good aroma. I am stabilizing my 23L batch today (with Potassium Sorbate and Potassium Metabisulfite) which inhibits any further yeast activity. After a week, I will bottle it and then the wife will be happy. I just bottled 23L of Hard Pear Cider (5%ABV) for the wife 2 days ago. That will be ready to drink in a couple of weeks. So by next month the wife and her girl friends will have plenty of session drinks while me and my friends will have my home brew.  I am making an English Barleywine (9%ABV) this week.

The great thing about this hobby is it teaches patience. The mango wine I started on Dec 23 and it will be bottled around March 1. My home brews average about 6 weeks from brewing to bottling and conditioning before being ready to drink. 

If you decide to embark on this recipe, get with me before you start and I will share with you my mistakes and revised process for making it. All in all, the basic ingredients cost me about $20, I spent about $100 on chemicals, corks, corker, wine whip, etc. So this first batch cost me about $4/750ml bottle. The next batch will be half of that as I already have the equipment and chemicals on hand.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

What do I do to stay busy?  Well I was at Unitop this morning (right before a trip to Jollibees... I am so Pilifino!)  anyway... I saw a feather duster for p19 and decided it was time to make a new magic wand.  I have seen these commercially for $30-$50 USD.  I made this one for under p100  

Now I can make sure the kids are clean before they assist me ha ha      :tiphat:   

This is, of course, 2 pics of same wand...

post-2045-0-07478300-1425112326_thumb.jp    

• Like 5

i am bob
Posted
Posted

What do I do to stay busy?  Well I was at Unitop this morning (right before a trip to Jollibees... I am so Pilifino!)  anyway... I saw a feather duster for p19 and decided it was time to make a new magic wand.  I have seen these commercially for $30-$50 USD.  I made this one for under p100  

Now I can make sure the kids are clean before they assist me ha ha      :tiphat:   

This is, of course, 2 pics of same wand...

attachicon.gifFeather Wand.jpg

Ahhh, Tim, you're just magic!

:D

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
zardoz
Posted
Posted

I'm 51 now... I've been retired since I was 35. I think I've got the hang of it ;)

This wonderful new adventure (and my amazing bride to be) is going to occupy a lot of my time... I'll be fine I think ;)

Gord

• Like 1

rw191010
Posted
Posted

My dad always told me never retire - he said it was too boring.  I assured him that he was bored being retired... but I would be fine.

I quit working 2 years ago and have not missed it yet!  I do have small (mostly ignored) blog.  I joined the local Rotary club.  And just became their webmaster ha ha

I got plenty to do because I love doing nothing! 

But if I get tired of sitting around watching banana trees grow I can go to the mall, go to the beach, take a walk, ride my bicycle, chase my wife around naked (I would be naked... not her).  Always something to do here.    :tiphat:

Have you ever tried golfing at the local country club?  I'm bringing my clubs back next time I visit the States and I'm going to give it a go.  Iloilo has lots to do and Guimaras Island has many hidden treasures as well.  I'm semi-retired because I still like working and one can always use extra cash!

rw191010
Posted
Posted

Boredom, like most things in life, is a state of mind. If a person is bored when not working, then it's probably not a good time to retire yet. Me? I'm more bored at work, despite a very good job. People say "won't you feel bored not doing anything productive?" Those people are also not ready to be retired. I no longer feel a need to be productive, in the traditional working way of thinking.

I am finding enjoyment by helping out the local community on occasion.  This week, I'm building a new basketball goal for the kids on my street.  I find satisfaction in these projects and a little good will goes a long way.

• Like 2