Can You Live Like A Filipino?

i am bob
Posted
Posted

This is standard across the Philippines - they all charge this way.  When you think of how little these people make on a daily basis after they pay their expenses, I"ll pay the P20 (our local rate).

:tiphat:  :mocking:

• Like 1

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

This is standard across the Philippines - they all charge this way.  When you think of how little these people make on a daily basis after they pay their expenses, I"ll pay the P20 (our local rate).

Really ? I didn't know that. So if they pick you up alone at a heavy passenger point and whisk you off, they all assume you will pay them the equivalent multiple fare of a full passenger load. Did I read you correct?

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Really ? I didn't know that. So if they pick you up alone at a heavy passenger point and whisk you off, they all assume you will pay them the equivalent multiple fare of a full passenger load. Did I read you correct?

Yup!  

The part I get a kick out of is that I have flagged down and gotten onto a Trike that already has somebody onboard, when we reach the other end destination, they are still paying the full fare and I only pay the lower amount...  

:mocking:

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted

Yup!  

The part I get a kick out of is that I have flagged down and gotten onto a Trike that already has somebody onboard, when we reach the other end destination, they are still paying the full fare and I only pay the lower amount...  

:mocking:

Must be different here then, if I go outside my sub division and get a tryc to the mall it is 8 pesos, whether he is full or empty, if he gets another fare or not it is still 8 pesos.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Must be different here then, if I go outside my sub division and get a tryc to the mall it is 8 pesos,

It is common to be offered a private tryke at the tricycle terminal, which is where the op started, and I find it common in the evening when flagging down a tryke he will charge a private price because he will get no return passengers.  During the day I find I can grab one anywhere for a short hop and there is no inflated price.  The exception is if I want to go anywhere off the 'route' of the tryke (route being a vague area that he operates in and around), that is often subject to negotiation.

As to 'pakyaw' it simply means a contract price.  You might get your house renovated on pakyaw, or your car painted on pakyaw, or negotiate for pretty much anything that way.

• Like 1

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

Must be different here then, if I go outside my sub division and get a tryc to the mall it is 8 pesos,

It is common to be offered a private tryke at the tricycle terminal, which is where the op started, and I find it common in the evening when flagging down a tryke he will charge a private price because he will get no return passengers.  During the day I find I can grab one anywhere for a short hop and there is no inflated price.  The exception is if I want to go anywhere off the 'route' of the tryke (route being a vague area that he operates in and around), that is often subject to negotiation.

As to 'pakyaw' it simply means a contract price.  You might get your house renovated on pakyaw, or your car painted on pakyaw, or negotiate for pretty much anything that way.

Thank you for explaining the 'pakyaw' or private contract price. I've only run into it blindly once here. Now I understand why maybe the guy wanted such a crazy price that one time, 7 or 8 years ago when my wife and cousin put me into a trike for a solo ride home at the bus terminal. Then again, I was a Kano going 2 km to the gated subdivision where we lived at the time and he probably assumed I owned rather than rented. I wrote if off as the usual gouging attempt, since we caught him going by on the fly. No line-up.

Never ran into it since over the last 10 years here. Normally in the Western Visayas where I have lived, depending on whether you catch a trike at a line-up point or on the fly, ( there is occassinal rogue priceing attempts and calorum - unregistered and illegal to deal with), by and large the legal drivers stick to the posted prices on the cards they are required to post inside the cab which include basic minimum and per/km additional costs. Here they are free to pick up other passengers, but I (we) are seldom charged more than basic per\pax rates. We only pay that and for extended mileage. If they think you're vulnerable to some attempted price gouging, they'll give you a high quote which you are free to refuse and walk away from if they don't want to negotiate.   Late hour evening contracts, material haulage etc. all call for negotiations and pre-agreed prices.

If its common practice there for the first rider to be charged 5x the single pax rate in Mindanao or Davao, you have my sympathy.

Mindanao must be somewhat different from what I've encountered on Mindoro, Panay and Negros, but not totally. What my wife calls "stupid" drivers will quote you ridiculously high prices if you are arriving at a bus terminal or have a large load of groceries and want to use the 'lineup' trikes. Better to walk across the street and catch one on the fly if you want the normal, legal rate.

Good luck with dealing with your local trike drivers.

• Like 1

virginprune
Posted
Posted

I have only ever been charged the normal fare whether off a line up or on the fly. This is in Marbel in Mindanao!

earthdome
Posted
Posted (edited)

Here is my experience with a trike driver.

I had just arrived on a jeepney when a Trike driver offered to take me home. I agreed. When we arrived, I paid him the usual 7 Pesos. He said, NO, it's 35 Pesos. I asked ,why?  He answered,"pakiao".  I said, "no, i only pay 7 pesos from my home to the main road so why should I pay 35  from the main road to my home" Again, he answere, 'pakiao".  He refused the 7 Pesos. So I gave him last chance, take it or leave it. He left without the 7 pesos.

It was only later that I learned that "pakiao" means that I pay for the other 4 passengers who he would receive money from if I had waited for the Trike to fill up. 

I didn't know this and I'll never pay 35 pesos to ride alone. I can wait for 4 others. It is just from the main road to my subdivision and not from subdivision to main road. 

Sounds like a "ripoff" to me.

I have never seen trike prices that low. Lowest I have ever paid is 20-30 pesos. Then again most of my time has been spend in Baguio where there are no trikes. So my experience is mostly when traveling or vacationing.

Still, 35 vs 7 pesos is only a difference of around 60 cents.

Edited by earthdome

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I was going by my experiences in Davao, Cebu, Toledo City and CDO...  I  asked my Special Someone about this after my first Trike and she was the one that told me it was standard fare this way across the country...  It won't be the first time my info wasn't perfect...   :mocking:

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Well they are licensed for 4 (YEP 4 only) so in Dumaguete the official ride fair is 6.50 peso, if you pay the ride fare only,  he can pick up his empty seats as you ride, you want to ride alone then of course you should pay the rest of the seats.

JP :tiphat:

• Like 1