Should Mindanao Become An Independent Country?

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

A very complex problem here. Involving all the hot buttons, religion, regional prejudice, cultural differences even ethnic differences.

I have my own thoughts about this but I know one thing for sure..............As long as things hold together for another 15-20 years I'm good with it :thumbsup:

• Like 5

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Once you start trying to negotiate with terrorists there will always be an unhappy splinter group you have to deal with later.  Also, if the Philippines is a secular government (I know - debatable), why do the Muslims need their own territory?

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

The Americans have traditionally held the view that secessionists are rebels.  A lot of good men died when the south tried to secede, so tell us, if you had to do it all over again, would you let the rebels secede and form their own country or would you have another civil war, as many seem to be promoting for Philippines?

• Like 2

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

K is from Mindanao. from the allegedly unsafe province of Zamboanga del Sur. Like most of Mindanao, it is mainly Christian, and stolidly peaceful.

The Christian majority in Mindanao are about as keen on "independence for Mindanao" as the Protestant majority in Northern Ireland are on "Union with the South".

That is to say, NOT at all and they will take up arms if the idea is seriously proposed.   

• Like 4

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I am an American, and a Southerner.   The secessionists were rebels.  The Founding Fathers were also rebels.  Whether they were right or wrong - is up to history to decide.

I really don't understand how a Muslim minority is getting so much power - how about a vote?    :tiphat:

• Like 2

WordsandMusic
Posted
Posted

Just the same the rest of the Philippines is going to be easy pickens for the angry south. It's just a matter of time before you start seeing illegal immigration in the southern regions. They will dare the government to do anything about it, and the government will try but it will be so massive that the government will eventually lose that battle. They must be pro active in dealing with this part of the islands, if not it will surely be too late. There is already things brewing there that if not contained soon will boil over.

The Philippines is in no way prepared for what is going on in the rest of the world and it will be a slam dunk for a massive wave of illegal immigration. Immigration policies only work when there is respect for the law. Take respect for the law out of the equation and you have American and German immigration issues like you are seeing today. 

China is the shark biting the Philippines right now. The Philippines is being surrounded by major issues that will overwhelm their government.

They will have to ask for assistance and when they do, most countries will have had their fill of fighting off Illegal immigration and Terrorist. 

So, I say they had better nip some of this in the bud before it gets to that point. The Philippines must be proactive in their own sovereignty! 

If Trump is president, he will ask them, What Are You Going To Give US? With him there will be no more free spending on the behalf of any country for any reason. I can see Trump investing a lot of money in the Philippines when he starts to deal with China in trade. So if the Philippine government doesn't want the US government to start wheeling and dealing with China from a US backed metropolis there in the Philippines, they might want to think twice about asking the US for help if Mr. Trump is President. 

If I'm correct about the Immigration indigestion that will regurgitate everywhere,  it will surly effect those of us living in the Philippines.  

The world is coming unraveled and will mutate into something we have never seen before, maybe it's suppose too, some say that this is the end of dazs! Whether you believe in that stuff or not, our lives are all about to change forever!!

• Like 3

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

At the moment, the illegal immigration is all the other way - Moslem Filipinos moving into Sabah. In quite considerable numbers - 200,000+. Maybe a lot more.

These are mostly Badjao, who get a poor deal from their Tausug co-religionists, but some Tausug as well. 

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted
JP is spot on. The Moro would not be happy until they had everything that they had before (from Manila to the south). This whole separatist movement was created when the US "gave" the country back to the Filipinos after WWII. The Moros logic is that they never surrendered to the Filipinos (their former slaves) but to the US. The US decided to call it quits so they wanted to revert to what was before.
  Yes.  The muslims even say related to the piece bill who will be allowed to become "citizens" in the new autonomy. Among them are people from PALAWAN.   So besides Mindanao I suppouse they want Palawan too.

I have talked to some civilians (christian Cebuanos) in Agusan del Sur. They DON'T like the muslim guerila, find the province dangerous. It's a big MESS in Agusan del Sur with:

/muslim guerila

/NPA

/at least one private army belonging to a big MINE company, recently SCARED away owners of land the mine want :1 (72):

/I suppouse some Philippine military/police too.

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

Excellent discussions guys!  Made me review my geography of the Philippines islands again.  My question is the physical or the practicality of border control.  Who or what will maintain that border?  Where do you define the border(s)?  Will it be like a DMZ with thousands of mines on land and sea?  Will we see a massive movement of people going in both directions before the borders are closed off?

Will we see the Muslim independent region(s) be a haven for terrorists to be imported from all over the place? And most important question: will the price of San Magoo be different or for that matter, use a different currency?  

My god, I don't care about cultural or religious separatists having their way.  I just don't see Filipinos against Filipinos taking up arms. It's like a war between California and Arizona for christ sake!

This is religious history all over again and again -- you either die or be converted by the sword....... 

PS -- to moderators, please remove or revise my comments, we're getting into politics or religious discussions here

Edited by Jake