Some Of The Crap We Are Expected To Accept.

RBM
Posted
Posted

We are in the finishing stages of our build, more details will post later with a few pics. This one is a window grizzle.

After seeking advice we accepted quotes fron a supposedly top quality window shop. Sure some of our requirements were some what different, how ever hardly an issue for a competent window maker. The main problem was a swing door for the bedroom.

After a month plus of promises and delivering some windows, and taking them back as not right, they insisted this time things are good.....Unforunately we were not here at installation time for sliding and swing doors.

Readers I can state categorically that an average 10 year old kid could of done better. Barrel bolts that don't line up, gaps in doors around 10mm, non existent sealer leaving huge open areas on the sides. Frames of doors and screens that are unattached to the walls, windows that will not slide......I shall spare you more rumblings of my discontent..

The point of the post is they knew well the quality I required, plus we paid a very high price price (1/2) to have the quality. What is in their heads.....do locals accept such crap without complaint? Maybe someone can enlighten me on this oh so familiar why why why.

Incidentally once cooled down have informed them, rip the lot out and do it again....We shall see.

• Like 4

stevewool
Posted
Posted

O dear, i am not expecting the same quality or build in what i may get here, but i am prepared to change it once i am there to what i was trying to say,

We was lucky having Ems dad on site all the time, but trying to explain what we are wanting and what he thinks he should do is two different things,

Looking on the bright side , you will have lots to do to keep you busy for a long time once there

• Like 2

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

we used a local company to supply our windows and blinds

all windows fit tight blinds work without jamming and the sliding doors from the living room that open onto the balcony look good and work well ! they also fitted those funny tilting windows to the downstairs side wall and the kitchen and again very good ! I am happy with them and their service. we even bought some Venetion blinds from the local Robinsons Handyman and one of the sales assistants came and fitted them after he had finished work we paid him 250pesos and gave him food. needless to say we use Robinsons a lot !

( no advertising intended )

• Like 3

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)

Mate I had 7 windows measured in a hour, windows installed in less than a day's work. Family friend, distant relative, husband and wife ex school teachers have a prospering business on the highway. 19k, all up. his 20 yo son supervised the work and the measurements were spot on. Pefab aluminium windows measure to size, each window had a slight variance, how easy is that if they are measured properly. The 20 yo kid also supervised the installation and his dad I think dropped by once.

On my QC house the builder put in steel windows and I did not intervene. I ordered from a steel and glass local business, fly screens all windows, 2 stories and a total of 3 screen doors. Around 50 k, might have been 60, can't recall. The trouble started when the installer was a separate team, hired by the steelworks, and paid by them. They did the measuring and they did the running back and forth to the workshop (I say steelworks, but they did the aluminium screens also).  After measuring the installers came back but no support the shop. I left instructions to my then partner no to disturb the structure of the house. **My mistake I played golf that day.

I came home, the installer already left for the day. .All fine except for the upstairs screen door access to balcony. Partner says they could not fit the door, will be back to tomorrow. I went to take a look. The story is the door frame has not been made square while the fly screen is a perfect rectangle. It won't fit...so the remedy is to break the cement around the door frame. then cover that with a second strip of aluminium matching the frame. I completely hit the roof and was shouting, swearing so half the street heard me. 

The guys came back the next day and somehow manged to fit it on, all the time complaining that they are not paid for the "extra" work. Of course we gave them the usual merienda but no extra money. Then my partner intervenes and gives the guy 200 for his travel allowance because he blames the builder for not squaring the door. I blame them because they did the measuring. What was clear though is that they are only laborers paid the minimum. But who knows, I have to give some benefit of doubt.

**Remember RBM, I said a few months ago you must be there for each step of the process.

Now in your case above. In my best guess your window maker has asked for a 50% or more deposit. That's how they work, balance is paid on completion. They pay the laborers but you pay directly to whoever runs the window place. Maybe he will come out to get the payment near the end of the day.

They got you. But I would have intervened earlier and told them I'm not accepting such shoddy work.

Anyway here's how it works. One of the builders, maybe the head guy will refer you to the window shop telling you how good they are. For every customer he sends there way, he's on a commission. It doesn't mean they are good, it's just part of the deal between the 2 parties,

Edited by chris49
  • Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted
we paid a very high price
Did you pay all IN ADVANCE??

I haven't checked windows any much yet,

but I have seen some very NICE doors at rather poor Filipino houses, BETTER that what most spend in our home countries.

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted

we paid a very high price

Did you pay all IN ADVANCE??

I haven't checked windows any much yet,

but I have seen some very NICE doors at rather poor Filipino houses, BETTER that what most spend in our home countries.

As Chris stated above, 50% down is normal. Our main problem is the swing door, can accept the windows....just. Have never seen such shoddy work in my life. At least from other posters they can do it. Maybe it's the team we had, how ever the shop has been told very firmly no balance will be paid until sorted.

Yes as difficult as it is one should be on site at all times. God help those whom build from abroad trusting others to supervise, locals seem to accept substandard work as par for the course.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
God help those whom build from abroad trusting others

Anyone who builds in abstenstia is just asking for trouble, and will get a big "I TOLD YOU SO!!" from the forum.

We lived next door during the entire construction and still there were minor problems we caught in the nick of time.

RBM, I feel for you. Over all we are very satisfied with our results. BUT, like you, there were a few thinks that just royally ticked me off during construction. Personally I think it is unavoidable taking into account some of the methods, tools and construction practices they use here.

But here's to a great result when your house is finally done :cheersty:

• Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

We lived next door during the entire construction and still there were minor problems we caught in the nick of time.

I lived on Site throughout the Build and still there were problems. What we need is A team of Experts from the Forum to Supervise Labour in their own Field and we might get somewhere.

It could work! but wait, we still got to have local Labour and none of us have eyes in the Back of our Heads  :unsure: Then we would still have the other Problems so Snakes and Ladders? post-2148-0-10899600-1443402862_thumb.jp Don't think I will try this Build thing again, my stress levels reduce daily, Pay day Yesterday! No Gardner again today. Will I never Learn. :no:

JP

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted

Chris thanks your comments it helped me. Just back from a very heated discussion with fat shop owner and his wife. From what the poor woman told my partner most of the problem revolves around el fatso using the business money for gambling on the cocks, hence short cuts with his work.

I remembers the comments when they blame the builders.....bottom line is window installers measured and made window so the buck stops with them....

Pity the poor wife as its a family business how ever quality must come first. Time will tell, we made her write down all our complaints, she admitted it was unacceptable.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Chris thanks your comments it helped me. Just back from a very heated discussion with fat shop owner and his wife. From what the poor woman told my partner most of the problem revolves around el fatso using the business money for gambling on the cocks, hence short cuts with his work.

I remembers the comments when they blame the builders.....bottom line is window installers measured and made window so the buck stops with them....

Pity the poor wife as its a family business how ever quality must come first. Time will tell, we made her write down all our complaints, she admitted it was unacceptable.

RBM well that`s a start getting somebody to take responsibility here is as rare as rocking horse poo. In my opinion what these people (some of them) need to remember is that it is our money they are messing with and I personally would not pay for crap work no matter what the excuse they give. I hope you can get it sorted mate 

• Like 3