Some Of The Crap We Are Expected To Accept.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Or if like RBM's wife (was it ?), she counts the heads and she pays out the money. She will also note that skilled tradesman get a higher rate. She will know that of course.

This why we ( Azon) paid direct the Worker on Hours[Days] Worked then she knew where we were, The Foreman was paid the same way If they Borrowed between themselves that was up to them to sort out.

Money is just something here you Must be in control of. Foreman or Not She Trusted only herself to do the Wages and control any ( If at all) Loans, Cash Advances Deductions were Weekly and we all knew where we Stood. ( me Included with my Meagre allowance for being here )  :hystery:  If they did not turn up on Saturday to work, they got paid on Monday and she never ever gave any mans money to another, without written Authorization from the Payee [ Even Wags {Wives and Girl friends}  :no:   )

Don't matter how it is done as long as it is Controlled.

Jack  :thumbsup:

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

The foreman plays another ace in the hole here. He's quoted you for the crew of XX number of laborers and helpers. If you bother to do a daily head count, you will find on certain days some of the "helpers" will not report. Your contract is with the foreman for a fixed amount. In the true Filipino way, he takes the agreed amount, but does not have to pay each laborer in full. He will keep his closest friends like his relatives working, while only calling the helpers now and then. If he's quoted you 350 for a helper he might pay them 300, 50 pesos being his commission.

This we never allowed, We chose each worker with the Engineers recommendation. Every one here is an expert in all things and a friend or Cousin of the Working Foreman, No we had so much trouble on the last Project because of this & with an 8 Month Overrun, Not this time we said. never again would I Do a fixed Contract. Any savings and backhanders on Discounts come back to us and our Men get paid the rate for the Job they can and do do.

then That's us Folks!

Jack post-2148-0-10717100-1443939556.png

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted

This we never allowed, We chose each worker with the Engineers recommendation. Every one here is an expert in all things and a friend or Cousin of the Working Foreman, No we had so much trouble on the last Project because of this & with an 8 Month Overrun, Not this time we said. never again would I Do a fixed Contract. Any savings and backhanders on Discounts come back to us and our Men get paid the rate for the Job they can and do do. then That's us Folks!

That was a good strategy on what must have been a large project?

I was differentiating earlier between projects under 1 million and those at the higher level. Same strategy but more day to day. If money is short, you just stop the work, send everyone home and call them back.Bigger projects with higher skilled labor, that won't fly at all. They will be off on another project andwould not come back.

As this topic draws to a close, or maybe not. I think there's a lot of good information in there. Learn as you go and learn from your own mistakes of course. But you are in charge of the workers and not vice versa, if they start dictating terms in the middle of the agreement, I play hard ball and let the all go rather to be under their control.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

rather to be under their control.

Something we have only done once.

When we decided what to do with this lot, we  prepared 2 Costings.

1. Based on the Architects Bill of Quantities and Labour Requirements with fixed value Labour and Materials.

2. Our own Costing based on the Bill of Quantities but with a few alterations ( we did not need the Amount of CHB''s and Bags of Cement + Hardcore and back fill, Timber we found over Stated) We Bought as we needed After the Initial Purchase of Stuff. Way too much steel was indicated and I was beginning to think we were building a house for some one else as well. We reduced the Labour Content by 3 men. and Engaged our own Foreman and Engineer. who helped us pick the tradesman and Labour. Although the roof was a fixed Price, we did our own Welding of Trusses etc.

All in all we got 19% saving on material ( Discounts) Over all we came in at 22% less than a Fixed Price Contract.

Can't say any more than this now, as it is what it is. A saving of 1.3 million ( Approx) from the Price of 5 Mil on Contract. post-2148-0-86063700-1443941787_thumb.pn

Jack :)

RBM
Posted
Posted

Posted Today, 11:53 AM One way to ovoid the often asked ....cash advance is...   Make pay day twice a week,

attachicon.gifScratch head.gif RBM, Doesn't this amount to the same thing as a cash Advance really? 

If he misses days after he gets Docked next time, if he don't come back at all he gets Blacklisted (Face will come in here)   You were Paying the Foreman too much mate. :hystery:

I take all your points but it still leaves it all about they need Money midweek.

Jack :thumbsup:

No Jack not all, they work Mon till Wednesday get 3 days salary, work Wdnesday until Saturday evening receive 3 days salary. If they miss a day it's docked.

Guys be careful letting them use a power tool, 10 minutes ago they destroyed my good heavy duty drill, guess what nobody did it!!!!

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Posted Today, 11:53 AM One way to ovoid the often asked ....cash advance is...   Make pay day twice a week,

attachicon.gifScratch head.gif RBM, Doesn't this amount to the same thing as a cash Advance really? 

If he misses days after he gets Docked next time, if he don't come back at all he gets Blacklisted (Face will come in here)   You were Paying the Foreman too much mate. :hystery:

I take all your points but it still leaves it all about they need Money midweek.

Jack :thumbsup:

No Jack not all, they work Mon till Wednesday get 3 days salary, work Wdnesday until Saturday evening receive 3 days salary. If they miss a day it's docked.

Guys be careful letting them use a power tool, 10 minutes ago they destroyed my good heavy duty drill, guess what nobody did it!!!!

Of course I fully Understand that, I was really trying to Highlight to some one who seems not to Understand the need for that Mid week Payment. I am sure there are few construction workers would survive the week without :hystery:

As to the Drill, My Idiot of the Day has Just dropped our B&D Hammer drill into the water Butt he is Building a Wall around. A Mason needs a Drill ?post-2148-0-28729900-1443943293.gif Do we Feel for each other Here   :thumbsup:

Jackpost-2148-0-47878200-1443943315.png

But wait, stop press! apparently the drill fell from the Roof. Got left there Yesterday Evening, but no one knows who by  :no:

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
Guys be careful letting them use a power tool,

Your crew uses power tools????????????????????/ OMG. :hystery:

Jake
Posted
Posted

Plus safety goggles, gloves, steel toed shoes, safety harnesses and hard hats.  And generators for power tools during brown outs.

Yeah right.........

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted

Going off on a tangent here on the tools.

We drop down to Raon. Which is just north of the Quiapo Church. Home of Class A, off brand or non branded tools from China. I will randomly pick up things from there. The stone/tile cutter with a few extra blades. Still going after 3 years, just replaced the blade now and then. Got it 1800 plus 150 each for the blades.

Safety glasses? My guy uses a cheap pair of sunglasses seems to work.

Steel toes? Well they don't own a pair of shoes so no.

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted

Did Scott DID, no more........

• Like 2