Some Of The Crap We Are Expected To Accept.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Do you mean all builders have so much work, so they can say No

post-2148-0-96620900-1444045897.gifIt is called Filipino Face Thomas, something it seems you have to still learn about.

Jack

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
Do you mean all builders have so much work, so they can say No to geting a HOUSE build work paid for done work at Fridays?

What I am saying Thomas, its an entirely different value system. Yes they can say no when all that is required for daily life is a cup of rice and a dried fish for the day. Even if they don't say no, what would be the quality of work that gets done if "custom" is not followed?

I wish I had a good equivalent of a Swedish custom for an example, but imagined if I showed up in your country and said you will change the way you do your job even though you have done it that way for years and do it my way, or you wont have a job tomorrow. Will they work? Probably. Will they be happy and give me their best performance? I doubt it.

As the old, old saying goes. "When in Rome, do as the Romans do" :tiphat:

• Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)

This why we ( Azon) paid direct the Worker on Hours[Days] Worked then she knew where we were,

post-2148-0-27580500-1444093036.gifYou will note please Thomas that we did allow Loans and Cash Advance and they were Strictly Controlled.

She Trusted only herself to do the Wages and control any ( If at all) Loans, Cash Advances Deductions were Weekly

If you are going to quote me, please quote the Important bits Too so anyone reading can be clear post-2148-0-44031100-1444092997.png as per page 6 # 51

Thank You. Jack. :thumbsup:

Edited to  place page and Post number :thumbsup:

Edited by Jack Peterson

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
When I work, they work harder.

That's great advice for someone who is a knowledgeable hard worker, but from the other side of the coin, when I try to help my workers they tend to slow down.  They seem to work at the speed of the slowest worker and that is generally me.  I would suspect that firing the slowest worker each day would have a desirable effect  But who knows?

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted

Do you mean all builders have so much work, so they can say No to geting a HOUSE build work paid for done work at Fridays?

What I am saying Thomas, its an entirely different value system. Yes they can say no when all that is required for daily life is a cup of rice and a dried fish for the day. Even if they don't say no, what would be the quality of work that gets done if "custom" is not followed?

I wish I had a good equivalent of a Swedish custom for an example, but imagined if I showed up in your country and said you will change the way you do your job even though you have done it that way for years and do it my way, or you wont have a job tomorrow. Will they work? Probably. Will they be happy and give me their best performance? I doubt it.

As the old, old saying goes. "When in Rome, do as the Romans do" :tiphat:

Actually Scott........when in Rome, do as the Filipinos do.....he, he.  Anyway, I like you reverse logic by applying culture/customs in another country.  

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I would suspect that firing the slowest worker each day would have a desirable effect  But who knows?

:)  Much the same here Dave and would imagine we would be the First to Go. "WOW" Dismissed from your own Project, How embarrasing  :unsure:

Jack post-2148-0-89622000-1444094849.png

Morning All  :thumbsup:

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
What I'm saying is I will not agree to pay anything in advance

What worked for me was:  I chose, paid for and had delivered all the materials.  The contractor told me what he wanted and why and I went shopping to find what I liked.  Then I contracted him to hire a crew and do the work for 40% of the cost of the materials.  I paid him twice a week (advance mid week and balance on Thursday) and we negotiated how much he was getting that week depending on what work had been done and how many workers he needed to pay.  The final bill worked out to exactly 40% as we had agreed.  The nice thing about it was being able to stop when the money ran out.  When I could not afford to buy materials I just told the contractor:  Job's done!

The work I had done was mid range good.  No squatter's hut but not a high end home either.  So depending what you want to build then different methods work better.

• Like 4

RBM
Posted
Posted

What I'm saying is I will not agree to pay anything in advance

What worked for me was:  I chose, paid for and had delivered all the materials.  The contractor told me what he wanted and why and I went shopping to find what I liked.  Then I contracted him to hire a crew and do the work for 40% of the cost of the materials.  I paid him twice a week (advance mid week and balance on Thursday) and we negotiated how much he was getting that week depending on what work had been done and how many workers he needed to pay.  The final bill worked out to exactly 40% as we had agreed.  The nice thing about it was being able to stop when the money ran out.  When I could not afford to buy materials I just told the contractor:  Job's done!

The work I had done was mid range good.  No squatter's hut but not a high end home either.  So depending what you want to build then different methods work better.

The discussions has now veered way of course by all of us including myself.

I think of interest to many is the original title, how to receive proper quality workmanship which has been my my bitch.

From my own experience quite good workmanship is possible how ever seems they prefer to dish out shi...quality in the hope one will accept. After I had my out burst which resulted in this fat bag of Shi.. sweating and crying at the same time the end result was swing doors removed and re done.

Seems if one is a nice guy one will pay heaps and receive crap, or is this just my isolated experience, I think not.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Seems if one is a nice guy one will pay heaps and receive crap, or is this just my isolated experience,I think not.

No RBM, you will find that we all will, have a few stories but in the main I think we can all agree, you get what you are willing to pay and How, many times, and always it is about Money. If the Terms they want to work too are not met you can almost Guarantee Sloppy Work.

On your Particular issue I think they just tried it on and met their match.

JMHO of course.

Jack :tiphat:

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Seems if one is a nice guy one will pay heaps and receive crap, or is this just my isolated experience,I think not.

No RBM, you will find that we all will, have a few stories but in the main I think we can all agree, you get what you are willing to pay and How, many times, and always it is about Money. If the Terms they want to work too are not met you can almost Guarantee Sloppy Work.

On your Particular issue I think they just tried it on and met their match.

JMHO of course.

Jack :tiphat:

I worked construction for many years. Some locals here say why you have more money than me I say we took pride in our work and worked hard not like you who think compassion is a weakness

• Like 3