Some Of The Crap We Are Expected To Accept.

stevewool
Posted
Posted
We handled the payroll, every Friday at noon. Having said that we were told that making advances is "customary" on Wednesdays. 500 pesos to each worker who wanted it. Since almost all did, my wife ended up doing two payrolls a week. That's the way it is, and that's what we did.

Yes that happened to some of the workers too, some lived so far away and they needed the advance to get home, but they came back when they said they would,

When it works , it works fine

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted

If I don't pay IN ADVANCE, then I at least have the money left, not being without BOTH workers and money...    But I can agree to pay MORE OFTEN, but not in advance for WORK. 

Thomas my friend the Whole System works on Cash Advances, if you don't want to do this then I fear you are going to end up Building your own House. In fact even your Employees of your Business will work on the same System it is what it is and it is their way.

The whole Country is built on Credit  attachicon.gifwink.png

Jack  :thumbsup:

Well. The law say employees need to be paid two times per MONTH normaly, so why need builders be an exception - so they can scam?   :mocking:

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted (edited)
The law say

Time for you to wake up and smell the coffee my brother :tiphat:

a. Laws are so routinely ignored here its laughable lololol

b. The labor laws you refer to, (which also covers holiday pay, etc) are aimed, or at least only followed by companies that actually has a payroll department, large construction companies that build government and condo projects etc.

c. At the individual level, where we as expats might be involved i.e. getting a drained unclogged, installing a light, changing a door is done on a cash in hand level with a guy on a bike wearing flip flops riding a bicycle. Not a company van with a logo embossed jumpsuit.

But I tell you what, obviously your not going to believe those of us who have actually built homes here (or any other myriad sorts of projects). So come on over, build your house, start your business, stick to your guns by following the "rules" and demand that your workers, suppliers and contractors do likewise and let us know how it goes. :cheersty:

Edited by scott h
  • Like 5

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
Time for you to wake up and smell the coffee my brother   a. Laws are so routinely ignored here its laughable lololol b. The labor laws you refer to, (which also covers holiday pay, etc) are aimed, or at least only followed by companies that actually has a payroll department, large construction companies that build government and condo projects etc. c. At the individual level, where we as expats might be involved i.e. getting a drained unclogged, installing a light, changing a door is done on a cash in hand level with a guy on a bike wearing flip flops riding a bicycle. Not a company van with a logo embossed jumpsuit.   But I tell you what, obviously your not going to believe those of us who have actually built homes here (or any other myriad sorts of projects). So come on over, build your house, start your business, stick to your guns by following the "rules" and demand that your workers, suppliers and contractors do likewise and let us know how it goes.
Never a truer word said some people don`t want to listen 
  • Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Well. The law say employees need to be paid two times per MONTH normaly, so why need builders be an exception - so they can scam?  

The Law Thomas says much but means nothing here, The Way of life is the Way of life

How many helmets did you see on a Bike Rider here This Morning in the Provincial Towns? How many people were on any of the Bikes  you saw here here this Morning? No of course you are not here and that is the Difference.

Jack  :)

Morning All :morning1: (Late start cos of a Brown out and that is also a way of Life.)

Jake
Posted
Posted

Hey guys,

I am Filipino which has seen many facets of life there in PI throughout my adult life.  Although I am currently living in southern CA, I really appreciate reading all your comments based on eyes on experience that is up to date.  More importantly, reports of the ever changing rules, regulations or the real way to do business are more valuable to me.  

I should never challenge or question your eye witness or first hand knowledge on everything you guys do.  From pig farming to dealing with immigration, your comments should be accepted seriously against 2nd or 3rd hand accounts that can be easily found on Google.  Even the actual govt websites are often times, way off the mark.  

Respectfully -- Jake

• Like 2

RBM
Posted
Posted

One way to ovoid the often asked ....cash advance is...

Make pay day twice a week, maybe its the one thing we had no problem with. How ever we did find out foreman was often lending staff from his his pocket, do not want to know details on this as we were unaffected.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Hey guys,

I am Filipino which has seen many facets of life there in PI throughout my adult life.  Although I am currently living in southern CA, I really appreciate reading all your comments based on eyes on experience that is up to date.  More importantly, reports of the ever changing rules, regulations or the real way to do business are more valuable to me.  

I should never challenge or question your eye witness or first hand knowledge on everything you guys do.  From pig farming to dealing with immigration, your comments should be accepted seriously against 2nd or 3rd hand accounts that can be easily found on Google.  Even the actual govt websites are often times, way off the mark.  

Respectfully -- Jake

post-2148-0-28497100-1443930829_thumb.jp Other words just not necessary :thumbsup:

Jack  :)

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Posted Today, 11:53 AM One way to ovoid the often asked ....cash advance is...   Make pay day twice a week,

post-2148-0-83451300-1443934964.gif RBM, Doesn't this amount to the same thing as a cash Advance really? 

If he misses days after he gets Docked next time, if he don't come back at all he gets Blacklisted (Face will come in here)   You were Paying the Foreman too much mate. :hystery:

I take all your points but it still leaves it all about they need Money midweek.

Jack :thumbsup:

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted

Posted Today, 11:53 AM One way to ovoid the often asked ....cash advance is...   Make pay day twice a week,

attachicon.gifScratch head.gif RBM, Doesn't this amount to the same thing as a cash Advance really? 

If he misses days after he gets Docked next time, if he don't come back at all he gets Blacklisted (Face will come in here)   You were Paying the Foreman too much mate. :hystery:

I take all your points but it still leaves it all about they need Money midweek.

Jack :thumbsup:

The foreman is the focal point, whether paid twice a week or per local custom once a week on Saturday afternoon. Then everyone blows there money having drinks and paying off credits.

The foreman plays another ace in the hole here. He's quoted you for the crew of XX number of laborers and helpers. If you bother to do a daily head count, you will find on certain days some of the "helpers" will not report. Your contract is with the foreman for a fixed amount. In the true Filipino way, he takes the agreed amount, but does not have to pay each laborer in full. He will keep his closest friends like his relatives working, while only calling the helpers now and then. If he's quoted you 350 for a helper he might pay them 300, 50 pesos being his commission.

If you agreed to that you are stuck with it. Or if like RBM's wife (was it ?), she counts the heads and she pays out the money. She will also note that skilled tradesman get a higher rate. She will know that of course.

That's the preferred method, but must be agreed upon in advance. Cannot be changed middle of the contract.

• Like 2