Some Of The Crap We Are Expected To Accept.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
or same 50 % in advance undepending

Maybe this will help a little Thomas. When we built our home here,  we paid for most materials as they were used. When all the specialty workers came in ie. cabinet makers, window installers, roof installers, air conditioner installer etc. etc. etc. They all required minimal 50% upfront. I had no problem with this, but asked why anyway. At first I thought it was to insure good faith on my part. But in reality it was so they could buy the materials they needed for the job. It turns out most of these "installers" don't keep a stock of material, nor have the assets to buy them without the "upfront" payment.

Now this was just my experience, yours might be different when you move here and build your own home :thumbsup:

• Like 5

RBM
Posted
Posted

What is interesting in my case after some extremely heated in your face discussions this swing door was removed and redone. Still not in my opinion in a competent professional way how ever functional and just acceptable. Unlike before.

It can wear one down, guess although it goes against the grain, one seems to have to force oneself to accept sub standard work even while paying standard and above prices. An issue that puzzles me, asking many Filipinos what they thought of the shoddy workmanship, just received a shrug of the shoulders, it's ok Lang.

Perhaps if your brought up with this one can accept more so than expats coming from the first world.

• Like 2

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)

What we probably miss here RBM, Scott, is having a pre established personal relationship with the vendor. We are only told they are good, while in actual fact, it's totally hit and miss.

Take Fatso,the gambler, if we knew anything about him we we totally avoid him. He's grabbing what he can off the 50% deposit and leaving the wife short on the business end. Shoddy work will ensue, but it's her fault also. She should be strong enough to step in and take financial control of the business, meanwhile we suffer.

The other party who suffers greatly are the poor guys who install on contract with the vendor. They get the earful from us, when it's not their fault.

Edited by chris49
  • Like 3

Thomas
Posted
Posted
They all required minimal 50% upfront. I had no problem with this, but asked why anyway. At first I thought it was to insure good faith on my part. But in reality it was so they could buy the materials they needed for the job.
I have no problem paying an advance for material  (but prefering buying self, so builders can't run wuth my money, only run with my material, which is much heavier  :lol:

After hearing many having problem with builders not finnishing - beside quality - not coming back the day after they get pay,

NO CHANCE I will pay for WORK BEFORE it's done...   (OK to pay in STEPS - at Fridays  :)   -  but NOT ok to pay in ADVANCE.)

Many have been SCAMED "small" by wotkers, but HUGE by subdivision DEVELOPERS...

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
NO CHANCE I will pay for WORK BEFORE it's done

Then I wish you luck getting anything major completed here Thomas, I really do :cheersty:

• Like 5

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted (edited)

They all required minimal 50% upfront. I had no problem with this, but asked why anyway. At first I thought it was to insure good faith on my part. But in reality it was so they could buy the materials they needed for the job.
I have no problem paying an advance for material  (but prefering buying self, so builders can't run wuth my money, only run with my material, which is much heavier  :lol:

After hearing many having problem with builders not finnishing - beside quality - not coming back the day after they get pay,

NO CHANCE I will pay for WORK BEFORE it's done...   (OK to pay in STEPS - at Fridays  :)   -  but NOT ok to pay in ADVANCE.)

Some workers walked off of a job the other day because they could not get an advance on their wages. Thomas what we would do in our old countries just doesn`t work here.

Edited by sonjack2847
  • Like 4

RBM
Posted
Posted

Some workers walked off of a job the other because they could not get an advance on their wages. Thomas what we would do in our old countries just doesn`t work here.

Nothing works here like in the old country. Just this am another blow....During construction we hired a computer guy on contract to install two high speed routers. We were particular to ensure all wiring done before the ceiling was installed. Yes sir all done, I could not clamber up there even if I wanted so accepted this as could see both routers.

Today came the TV people whom also install the wi fi, sorry sir we cannot supply the wi fi as your computer man forgot to install electric for routers.....Now an ugly wire on the inside or have them clamber inside ceiling and try fit an outlet. It's almost Fiesta here so little chance of much happening

• Like 2

chris49
Posted
Posted

Some workers walked off of a job the other day because they could not get an advance on their wages. Thomas what we would do in our old countries just doesn`t work here.

Our 2 main laborers are my wife's uncles. 350/day plus the incidentals. We give a very good lunch plus 2 meriendas with about 2 litres coke each time.

They get paid Saturday evening. And they get a large 4 x 4  Saturday PM, and maybe one on Weds if things are going well. If it's a minute late they get tense. As if you have cut their wages.

We are getting ready to start again, 2 weeks work to extend the roof, do cementing, tiling and some bamboo work to extend the house. I have a bike club friend who is a carpenter, and will work for me personally, half days in the afternoon doing the carpentry on the roof. One uncle will be free to do the tiling and we will save a lot of time. But I already hear rumblings abiut me bringing in an outsider, so I am not sure.

Ilocano's are good workers good all rounders. But they are weak in finishing, They are not really used to work with the higher level materials, which might beautify the place. No so good in anything decorative like brickwork. But at the same time they insist they can do it, and prefer not to have another party on the job.

Luckily no one walked off the job, but it has happened here, in another project nearby, sometimes over the issue of unequal pay. Electricians and plumbers get more or shorter contracts.

Again it's a challenge. I try to go hands on as much as possible, usually in the area of mixing cement and relaying it by hand to the workplace. When I work, they work harder.

These guys don't follow a plan. Probably wouldn't know how. They follow my sketches on paper and will frequently suggest changes going through Gina, she tends to approve, even if I don't. That's why physical presence is always the first option.

• Like 4

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Several expats have told their workers left BECAUSE they got paid  :mocking:      (E g paid Wednesday, then the workers DIDN'T came back the rest of the week to finnish the work...)

If I don't pay IN ADVANCE, then I at least have the money left, not being without BOTH workers and money...  :lol:

But I can agree to pay MORE OFTEN, but not in advance for WORK.