Some Of The Crap We Are Expected To Accept.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

If I don't pay IN ADVANCE, then I at least have the money left, not being without BOTH workers and money...    But I can agree to pay MORE OFTEN, but not in advance for WORK. 

Thomas my friend the Whole System works on Cash Advances, if you don't want to do this then I fear you are going to end up Building your own House. In fact even your Employees of your Business will work on the same System it is what it is and it is their way.

The whole Country is built on Credit  post-2148-0-98117400-1443838516.png

Jack  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

On my house I paid for all the materials myself and the agreed upon labor cost was 50% of material cost.  I had to pay 1/2 the labor upfront for work to begin.  That is very common over here - and in the US.  People get scammed by homeowners as well as contractors.  Both have to do what they can to protect themself... but eventually someone has to trust the other a bit  :tiphat:

• Like 3

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Yep, we paid upfront for all goods and labour,

We spoke to Ems dad twice a week asking how the build was and what is needed next, the funds was forwarded and the goods was brought by Ems dad for what the workers wanted next, pay day for them was on the Saturday, that way we knew where the money was going and the price we was paying was the correct price for the goods with no mark up,

When it was all finished to what we asked for, we asked for another part to be added, but the builder wanted to buy all the material himself, even though he promised all he said on the first build, we knew he was wanting a mark up on all  the material for the next project, we decided to wait until we are there so we can do it our way and keep the extra money in our pockets  too

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

the builder wanted to buy all the material himself, even though he promised all he said on the first build,  

Even now we still buy Everything, Every time we get our main man to buy things he always tries it on But Azon is too cute and good at here Job  (Procurement Officer for Oriental Electric Coop.) She has done the canvassing and tells him That that is the price so if he has paid more ( he says) he is out of Pocket. You can't beat keen Buyer here and Trying to Kid a Kidder don't work if you want the money in Your pocket and not His.

Jack :tiphat:

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

To  being new to all this and maybe later you will get bored, but i love going around anywhere to look at materials , the qaulity sometimes can outstrip anything here and the price too is great for me but maybe not for those who live there, that way i know i am getting the best for the best price i am wanting to pay,

Plus we have our own chauffeur in Ems dad to take us where ever we want to go, he likes it too, seeing what he may or may not have in the house too, he is still waiting for the marble work top in our kitchen, but i said tile it till we get there, after what looked like a long lip for a few days the tiles do look good, :thumbsup: 

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)

The last few posts illustrate a few different methodologies.

If actually working with a contractor, he quotes you the whole job. If he's clever he pulls you in with the cheap price, but he knows he's getting a killing (builder's discount) on the materials. But if you like the guy you play along with that.

Or if on a major project, let's say 3-4 M upwards, you better go with a reputable contractor, not the local one. If he's doing it in the Filipino way, probably universal also. Around 33% deposit, and the project is divided into about 4 stages, you pay at the end of each stage, the last payment being on handover. You hold you payment or delay it, the work stops.

Or if on a smaller project maybe up to 1M, you act as the contractor hiring the laborers and tradesmen known to you, local guys. You buy all the materials, they continue doing the work. You pay local wages, food and drinks now and then. But don't hold their payments or get late. A riot might ensue. You might go over 1 M but you might also split the construction into phases as I'm doing now.

In my way it's cheaper but it's a good idea not to go cheap on the materials. Future problems will come back on you.

Edited by chris49

chris49
Posted
Posted

To  being new to all this and maybe later you will get bored, but i love going around anywhere to look at materials , the qaulity sometimes can outstrip anything here and the price too is great for me but maybe not for those who live there, that way i know i am getting the best for the best price i am wanting to pay,

Plus we have our own chauffeur in Ems dad to take us where ever we want to go, he likes it too, seeing what he may or may not have in the house too, he is still waiting for the marble work top in our kitchen, but i said tile it till we get there, after what looked like a long lip for a few days the tiles do look good, :thumbsup:

Full granite. Track back on my FB pictures, you will know what I mean. An amazing material, will last forever.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

If actually working with a contractor, he quotes you the whole job. If he's clever he pulls you in with the cheap price, but he knows he's getting a killing (builder's discount) on the materials. But if you like the guy you play along with that.

That's OK if he gets the better stuff, just a one off Cement and CHB's Big Rip offs from a Contractor. + Hardcore, Backfill and Sand

The way we did it was 19% cheaper on us Buying and on 3.4 mil that is not to be sneezed at.

We had him put in Specimens of what he would use, No way Jose. The Worst bit was the Backfill for me. Not Termite Treated.

NAH! We are now very Confident that we did it right.

Jack :thumbsup:

stevewool
Posted
Posted

We found our contractor by walking down the street to this church that was being built, Ems started the chat asking him to come and look at the house and plans,

He came to the house and seen what we wanted to do, he took the plans away and the next day we met he told us the price he wanted and we would buy all the material when he wanted it, we asked about payment to him , it was down to us , pay once done or weekly,

Before he walked out of the door he saw bags of cement that we had brought before, he said there are no good you want this make but it cost more Ems dad said, mention my name to the supplier  and you will get the best and the discount too with free delivery ,we knew then we had found a very good person and a great builder too,

All this happened a few days before we flew back to England , and so far it all went smoothly :thumbsup:

• Like 3

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Like Chris said there are a couple of ways to go about it. Our guys told us what they needed, we (I) ordered and paid for it. We handled the payroll, every Friday at noon. Having said that we were told that making advances is "customary" on Wednesdays. 500 pesos to each worker who wanted it. Since almost all did, my wife ended up doing two payrolls a week. That's the way it is, and that's what we did.

Now our neighbor liked the way our house turned out, hired the same crew, but let the foreman deal with payroll. Yep you guessed it, 3/4 through the project the foreman disappeared and they had to hire another foreman and repay the workers payroll. If they didn't, the house would have stayed 3/4 done.

But like anything here YOUR MILAGE MAY VARY :hystery:

• Like 2