Some Of The Crap We Are Expected To Accept.

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)

Well one thing for sure, if and a big if ever I was thinking of building a house in the PI, after reading these posts it sure has put me off even considering the prospect. I had built a few houses in my past life and that was bad enough, here sounds like your worst nightmare, thank to all for being so honest and frank, maybe I will just buy a place, in her name of course.

One key point.

Provincial land is extremely cheap. But most of us could not even afford a small lot in Metro Manila, Cebu, other major cities to a lesser extent.

If ever you did get a piece of provincial land, you build a house also in provincial style, like Tim who has posted elsewhere, and myself. Building using strictly local materials and local labour but you are the Foreman and Head Contractor. Working with a budget well under 1M, perhaps building in phases. So if there's no work, tell everyone to stay home. Or for example if it's raining heavily, suspend the work even for a period of weeks.

Using cement, local lumber, even bamboo. It is incredibly rewarding to put something like that up, and if your wife is on board it's doubly so.

I have said below 1 million. Once it goes even a little over and you see things not going well it will be incredibly frustrating. Under 1M is tolerable.

American guy here scored a bargain 1.5 M on a large house, large lot. The house is low lying in a flood zone and was clearly built without a plan. Worst designed house I ever saw. They have spent a year building retaining walls and laying drainage pipes.

So caveat emptor. I still prefer to build my own.

Edited by chris49

RBM
Posted
Posted

Well one thing for sure, if and a big if ever I was thinking of building a house in the PI, after reading these posts it sure has put me off even considering the prospect. I had built a few houses in my past life and that was bad enough, here sounds like your worst nightmare, thank to all for being so honest and frank, maybe I will just buy a place, in her name of course.

One key point.Provincial land is extremely cheap. But most of us could not even afford a small lot in Metro Manila, Cebu, other major cities to a lesser extent.If ever you did get a piece of provincial land, you build a house also in provincial style, like Tim who has posted elsewhere, and myself. Building using strictly local materials and local labour but you are the Foreman and Head Contractor. Working with a budget well under 1M, perhaps building in phases. So if there's no work, tell everyone to stay home. Or for example if it's raining heavily, suspend the work even for a period of weeks.Using cement, local lumber, even bamboo. It is incredibly rewarding to put something like that up, and if your wife is on board it's doubly so.I have said below 1 million. Once it goes even a little over and you see things not going well it will be incredibly frustrating. Under 1M is tolerable.American guy here scored a bargain 1.5 M on a large house, large lot. The house is low lying in a flood zone and was clearly built without a plan. Worst designed house I ever saw. They have spent a year building retaining walls and laying drainage pipes.So caveat emptor. I still prefer to build my own.

If you do as intended I wish you well and advise, remember to bring a very big bucket of patience with you. For sure will be needed more than anything.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

One key point.Provincial land is extremely cheap. But most of us could not even afford a small lot in Metro Manila, Cebu, other major cities to a lesser extent.If ever you did get a piece of provincial land, you build a house also in provincial style, like Tim who has posted elsewhere, and myself. Building using strictly local materials and local labour but you are the Foreman and Head Contractor. Working with a budget well under 1M, perhaps building in phases. So if there's no work, tell everyone to stay home. Or for example if it's raining heavily, suspend the work even for a period of weeks.Using cement, local lumber, even bamboo. It is incredibly rewarding to put something like that up, and if your wife is on board it's doubly so.I have said below 1 million. Once it goes even a little over and you see things not going well it will be incredibly frustrating. Under 1M is tolerable.American guy here scored a bargain 1.5 M on a large house, large lot. The house is low lying in a flood zone and was clearly built without a plan. Worst designed house I ever saw. They have spent a year building retaining walls and laying drainage pipes.So caveat emptor. I still prefer to build my own.

If you do as intended I wish you well and advise, remember to bring a very big bucket of patience with you. For sure will be needed more than anything.

How so very Right, I won't put here what I wrote on my Stress Topic but if you have read this you can see what I mean Because the Guy chose to do it his way, The whole Front Garden was without Electric Last Night and Ruined our Evening.

I will not get rid of the Dogs (Which was he answer) My dogs are there for a Reason, Dogs [Especially Puppies] do these things but when I go to lengths to Minimize the Problem it is because I have sat and thought about it. Please, just do as I ask and all will be well.

Even with Supervision it can still go wrong. So much So that now even after 3 Years I am still tied to the House, and we are only Finishing and Landscaping.If I go of to Town I tend to Go when Her indoors is here WRONG! move. As they just say what shall we do with this, Then she says oh do what you think is best but Ma'am Sir said, well he is not here. :hystery: That's when the Problem Starts.

Jack :unsure:

• Like 3

chris49
Posted
Posted

.If I go of to Town I tend to Go when Her indoors is here WRONG! move. As they just say what shall we do with this, Then she says oh do what you think is best but Ma'am Sir said, well he is not here. That's when the Problem Starts.

I was out for the morning the day after the foundation was laid. Columns in place. Gina had them start on the back wall with cement and steel, had it about 6 blocks up. She forgot the back door and had a solid wall. Knocking the section down down become difficult because of the steel. It had to be hacksawed.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I was out for the morning the day after the foundation was laid. Columns in place. Gina had them start on the back wall with cement and steel, had it about 6 blocks up. She forgot the back door and had a solid wall. Knocking the section down down become difficult because of the steel. It had to be hacksawed.

:thumbsup:  I rest my Case  :) BUT but did No one look at any sort of Plan

Jack :tiphat:

chris49
Posted
Posted

Had sketches on paper. Reviewed by Gina and finalized by me. 3-4 times. I put it in her hand before I left.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I put it in her hand before I left.

:hystery: Sorry Chris post-2148-0-87863000-1444806971_thumb.jp was that left or right hand cos you know what I mean!

Oooops sorry mate Wednesday humour.  :)

Jack post-2148-0-65634200-1444807057.png

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted

Actually I enjoyed our building phases. We had earlier put in an outdoor CR, 12 ft deep septic tank, learned a

lot about the builders that time. That contract included a large bottle of 4 x 4 gin each day. Stopped that next time.

If you have a good worker he will extend his work each day to finish the task he was doing. It's a big help to us. And I would reward that at the end of the week with extra money.

One thing I don't do is give them work they can't do. Electrical work they have no clue, better bring someone in from the beginning.

Weds humour is good when the internet is working. Other wise no.

RBM
Posted
Posted

.If I go of to Town I tend to Go when Her indoors is here WRONG! move. As they just say what shall we do with this, Then she says oh do what you think is best but Ma'am Sir said, well he is not here. That's when the Problem Starts.

Reminds me, we asked them to widen the bathroom by a half meter from the plan. Went away for the day, upon return the whole side of the house was widened, lucky just 1 block high. 

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)

Reminds me, we asked them to widen the bathroom by a half meter from the plan. Went away for the day, upon return the whole side of the house was widened, lucky just 1 block high. 

I just said in your other Topic I would change the Engineer, When ours did the set out staking I should have had alarm bells ringing.

I asked where shall we put the Ballast and Stuff, Oh in Front by 1 meter of the Last Corner Stake. OK Delivery comes and to make sure I have it Tipped 1.5 meters in front of the said Stake. Come Start day he blows a fuse at the Foreman because the loads are too near the Staking.

Transpires he had Forgotten to Include the 1 Meter Overhang of the Terrance and Roof. So Re stake. But if this Problem had not arisen with the Load of ballast, My House would have been 1 meter wrong all over.

now if we can't even trust the Engineer WTF? :no:

Jack :unsure:

But it's OK cos this is not considered Stress

Edit to have a little wind up  :hystery:

Edited by Jack Peterson
  • Like 1