The Older Older Man

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Jack and I are of one mind on this issue.

Well I am glad that someone actually Understands me because there are issues that get to me and this one of them

I have people every month crying on my Shoulder over these things and all I can say is " I told you so" but do they listen NAH! I know Best

Bin there done that and now have settled for the best and I am not about to Ruin it. just Hope that others Mistakes can make a Difference to many, Sure Go with the Flow But Learn to say Hey! OK now lets think and talk about this a little more.

I apologize to those who think I am Harsh but I learned the hard way, there is no need for them to 

Jack :)

• Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Some great response boys and i must agree with what jack has said.

I am the eldest of a little group of friends who have young Filipino wives .

Being 56 and my Ems being 40 this year I think we blend in very well here in the UK but we still get the stares and snigles .

I don't think I could cope with a younger on my arm here in the UK.

But each to the own

• Like 3

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)

I don't mind if Steve would rephrase the question again.

Which I take to be:

In an age gap relationship, what happens later on when you are less active, perhaps disabled? With a reference to a case which happened in the UK. And your young wife becomes your carer, caregiver?

So is that the question?

Now Methersgate and myself do fall into that category. Meth in the UK, and we must assume that he is comfortable supporting his young wife in the UK going forward.

Me in the Philippines, can support the family as long as I'm alive, but we do have young kids.

So what happens as we age up and our circumstances change?

I only know Gina. A simple hard working farm girl who is unlikely to have the chance to live abroad, unless it comes later through the kids. Based on what I know, I think she would stick it out with me. 99% sure. However, if we lived in Australia would that change the situation. Let's say I'm 80, partially disabled and the money is no longer enough to live on? Well that wouldn't happen because I would relocate to the Philippines for practical reasons.

How about Methersgate? I dunno, let's ask him again again.

So Steve, is that the gist of the question?

Edited by chris49
  • Like 4

Methersgate
Posted
Posted (edited)

If I look back over my life to date very few of my plans worked out as I expected. In particular, as I look forward to marriage no 3, I do not think that marriage is for ever. It is for law and taxes. This colours my answer.

I want to give K and her son the opportunity to get British citizenship; that means the next five years here.

If she likes it here, then it will, from her son's point of view, be better to stay here. Reasons for staying in the UK relate to healthcare (i.e. free, and good) and to the education of my 13 year old son as well as her 7 year old son (ie. free, and good)  

My definite preference would be to carry on working here for a few more years

After that, I would offer the  same answer, as Chris: I would, if that suited K, and if she was still with me, relocate to the Philippines, as I grew older and more frail. The reason is that care giving is labour intensive and labour is cheaper in the Philippines. And the heating bills  are "nil".

As things stand, I am on good terms with her family, and that gives me the options of Molave (not ideal) in Zamboanga del Sur and of Canlaon and Dumaguete on Negros. I would probably not be able to afford Subic and she has no family there. The importance of the family is that one does not want to depend on a younger wife as a carer, and one does not want to depend on hired help alone.

K is probably capable of holding down a proper job in the UK. She might prefer to go on her own and do that. Fair enough; I am then no worse off than I would have been had I stayed single.

Edited by Methersgate
  • Like 4

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

Thank you for that very wise and kind post, Jake.

• Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted

Thank you for that very wise and kind post, Jake.

I don't think I will ever figure it all out.  It's just based on my 30 plus years of marriage and it's still a work in progress.  The one thing I can suggest is maintaining a sense of humor, spontaneous random acts of kindness and a simple warm embrace.  Nothing more, nothing less.

Speaking of kindness, I do go out to my dog house to relief myself of internal combustion of nasty gases.....he, he.  

I get no respect sometimes......

• Like 4

canadamale
Posted
Posted

No two relationships are the same, if it is based on love and mutual respect the age difference will not be the deciding factor on the ending of said relationship, on the other hand if the relationship is based on what the younger spouse can get out of the monetary aspect of the union then I can see the younger spouce becoming disillusioned. I know 2 couples here in Canada both with 20 plus yrs spread in age. Both seem very happy.

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

If I look back over my life to date very few of my plans worked out as I expected. In particular, as I look forward to marriage no 3, I do not think that marriage is for ever. It is for law and taxes. This colours my answer.

I want to give K and her son the opportunity to get British citizenship; that means the next five years here.

If she likes it here, then it will, from her son's point of view, be better to stay here. Reasons for staying in the UK relate to healthcare (i.e. free, and good) and to the education of my 13 year old son as well as her 7 year old son (ie. free, and good)  

My definite preference would be to carry on working here for a few more years

After that, I would offer the  same answer, as Chris: I would, if that suited K, and if she was still with me, relocate to the Philippines, as I grew older and more frail. The reason is that care giving is labour intensive and labour is cheaper in the Philippines. And the heating bills  are "nil".

As things stand, I am on good terms with her family, and that gives me the options of Molave (not ideal) in Zamboanga del Sur and of Canlaon and Dumaguete on Negros. I would probably not be able to afford Subic and she has no family there. The importance of the family is that one does not want to depend on a younger wife as a carer, and one does not want to depend on hired help alone.

K is probably capable of holding down a proper job in the UK. She might prefer to go on her own and do that. Fair enough; I am then no worse off than I would have been had I stayed single.

Free education and healthcare no I pay taxes in the UK, mate don`t fall into the category of people who say it is free as that is usually the freeloaders and I don`t think you are one of them.

• Like 3