Bullet Scam Angered Philippine Legislators

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

He was released after posting a P150,000 (Dhs 11,756) bail,” he said.

AH! I see now, so what they get cash one way or the Other Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm :unsure:

Jack :no:  Something wrong somewhere.

Morning All :morning1:

gaga4
Posted
Posted

When will this stop???

Here's the latest:

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/ofw-fil-am-77-latest-000000025.html

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Seems to me that people in Authority need to find out what "Islolated" cases means EH?

just saying  :unsure:

Jack :)

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Puting the bullet where?? And then your fingerprints will be on it.

I would say in the trash, and I would not care about fingerprints.

Is there some law that says I cannot walk down the street with a bullet in my pocket and put it is the trash?  If there is I shall have to rethink what I have said, but as far as I know it is only a crime to take it into the airport, so why not give your bags a once over before going through security.  Look for all items that you should not be bringing into the secure area and throw then in the trash.  Most airports have trash cans and also signs to tell you what you cannot have in your luggage.  Just follow the directions on the sign.  

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
“There are already officials deployed in airports in charge of helping those using our facilities. We have public assistance desks. The whole vision, mindset, of all government employees is to help those using our airports.”
Where  are these desks, the reason I ask is that once  arrested for contraband would you be able to talk to these desks/people? Seems to me anybody who makes a statement like that is either in cloud cuckoo land or playing the game as well.

The whole thing stinks and they should sort it. I read somewhere that Thailand gets 36 million tourists a year and the Philippines 6 million. As long as this country is at the center of alleged scams like this that figure will never improve.

• Like 1

gaga4
Posted
Posted

Dave, the issue here is that security personnel are slipping these bullets in your luggage. There is merit to what you are saying though. But it will require pretty much taking everything out of your luggage, checking every pocket and putting the contents back in before handing it to security for the scanner. If you find a bullet, then like you said, throw it in the trash. If thats what it takes that is actually an excellent idea.

Now, how do we pass this on the the travelers???

gaga4
Posted
Posted

“There are already officials deployed in airports in charge of helping those using our facilities. We have public assistance desks. The whole vision, mindset, of all government employees is to help those using our airports.”
Where  are these desks, the reason I ask is that once  arrested for contraband would you be able to talk to these desks/people? Seems to me anybody who makes a statement like that is either in cloud cuckoo land or playing the game as well.

The whole thing stinks and they should sort it. I read somewhere that Thailand gets 36 million tourists a year and the Philippines 6 million. As long as this country is at the center of alleged scams like this that figure will never improve.

Mike, not only will it not improve it will go down. I already see posts in yahoo about this and telling people not to go there. I can see that visitors will drop considerably. Even OFWs are now scared to death to even go home on their holidays.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Dave, the issue here is that security personnel are slipping these bullets in your luggage

With all respect for your opinion, I don't believe that is the most important issue.

I believe the most important issue is that people have to take responsibility for their own selves and their own bags and stop putting all the blame on other people.

What if it was a REAL terrorist that slipped a bomb into your bag and you did not do your due diligence, as is required before boarding a plane,?  If was not caught you would be DEAD RIGHT about terrorists slipping stuff into your bag but it you did your own checking at the final minutes then you would catch it.

What about people who get imprisoned as drug mules because someone 'slipped drugs into their suitcase without their knowledge'. We seem to automatically assume these people are guilty because any normal person would check their bags.

What theses scammers are doing is wrong.  I expect we agree on that point. People try to scam us every day and it is wrong.  We should do what we can to try to stop them BUT we should also do what we can to protect ourselves from being scammed.

So my conclusion is to keep the pressure on the bad security personnel and get them jailed or fired, but in the mean time check our own bags thoroughly before putting them on the x ray belt.

PS:  I just got in last night from a return flight from Dumaguete to Manila and there were no problems but the point is:  I was there looking at the situation first hand, as were some TV cameras looking for sensationalism.

• Like 1

gaga4
Posted
Posted

Dave, the issue here is that security personnel are slipping these bullets in your luggage

With all respect for your opinion, I don't believe that is the most important issue.

Did you even read the rest of my comments? I agreed with you and complemented you on thee excellent idea.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Did you even read the rest of my comments? I agreed with you and complemented you on thee excellent idea.

Please accept my apologies.  You are correct.  I only skimmed the rest of your comments and my focus stayed on your first sentence, which I hastily replied to.  A good lesson there that we should read twice before replying to a post.

• Like 4