Bullet Scam Angered Philippine Legislators

gaga4
Posted
Posted

If only someone can find the ammo stash in the airport hidden by these scammers.... 

I bet if these security people are made to go thru the scanners they will detect bullets in their pockets. Plus a thorough search of the premises will yield lots of loose bullets....

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Puting the bullet where?? And then your fingerprints will be on it.

I would say in the trash, and I would not care about fingerprints.

Is there some law that says I cannot walk down the street with a bullet in my pocket and put it is the trash?  If there is I shall have to rethink what I have said, but as far as I know it is only a crime to take it into the airport, so why not give your bags a once over before going through security.  Look for all items that you should not be bringing into the secure area and throw then in the trash.  Most airports have trash cans and also signs to tell you what you cannot have in your luggage.  Just follow the directions on the sign.  

But when the AIRPORT people PUT a bullet into your lagguage, you ARE in the airport allready...   :)

Not easy to find a small bullet in a big lagguage... We passengers don't have access to equipment to "pre-xray" our lagguage... :mocking:

--

But to be fair to these unfair scamers,  there are even worse cases in the world. In some East European reload stations they add DRUGS to "any" passenger's lagguage to try to get the drug packages through the custom in the destination country to get "mules" they don't need to pay, and they don't need to bother if they get caught, because they don't know anything...

• Like 1

gaga4
Posted
Posted (edited)

You have every right to inspect your own luggage before going thru security inside the airport. To affirm this statement, every airport has public address announcements stating do not carry any thing given to you without making sure what it is. It also has sign all over showing what is prohibited to bring in to the plane.

Based on this and because of the scam in NAIA, I have every right to inspect and reinspect any or all of my luggage subject to screening - even if it means I have to set them on the floor of the airport while I am in line just to prove a point. Every passenger should do this. It will create delays but I will assert to the airline that it needs to be done because of the scam. After inspection and theres nothing there, place everything back in and don't let anyone come near. I would laso take my cell phone and video the screening process entirely. Again, something every passenger should do.

Edited by gaga4

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted (edited)

Just found this now they might do something about it.

An extortion syndicate preying mainly on the elderly and overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) and involving personnel from various state agencies, not only plants bullets in bags of airline passengers but also harasses them by questioning their travel papers, the Inquirer has learned.
Initial findings by agents of the National Bureau of Investigation reveal that some porters identify potential victims of the “tanim-bala” (bullet-planting) scam and accomplices in the security and immigration services take over from them inside the four terminals of Ninoy Aquino International Airport (Naia).
The activities of the syndicate came to light last month when Gloria Ortinez, 56, a domestic helper in Hong Kong for 26 years, was arrested, detained and charged with carrying bullets in her luggage, despite her tearful denials. Her plight was caught by TV news cameras and went viral on social media.

Amid widespread outrage and concern among domestic and international travelers, the NBI began its investigation on orders of Justice Secretary
Alfredo Benjamin Caguiao to “act with dispatch” and report within 15 days, the Department of Justice  announced Wednesday.
Narrating the activities of the extortion ring, the NBI source, who spoke to the Inquirer on condition of anonymity for lack of authority to speak to the media, said: “Each unit has an assigned task and roles, its members are recruited by  longtime workers in the four airport terminals.”
“Apart from the now very known bullet-planting extortion, the racket also covers supposed questionable documents and purpose of travel of the passenger,” he said.
“The syndicate is composed of various airport workers such as immigration personnel, airport police, X-ray scanners, baggage inspectors and porters, the source said.
Usual targets
“The usual targets are OFWs  who are easily duped and the elderly who easily get nervous,” he said. “The group had a profile of their victims who they see as gullible and could easily be bullied.”
The source explained that in the case of tanim-bala,  X-ray scanners and baggage inspectors under the Department of Transportation and Communications-Office for Transportation Security (DOTC-OTS) have no police powers and are not authorized by law to make an arrest and need the Philippine National Police-Aviation Security Group (PNP-Avsegroup) to step in, make the arrest and file the appropriate charges.
“OTS personnel or X-ray scanners as well as baggage inspectors cannot make an arrest,” he said. “An airport police should be summoned to make a believable scam.”
While the role of the porter is “to spot a target and sometimes a planter of supposed evidence whichever is convenient for possible airport violations,” the source said.
NBI agents are looking at records as far as several years ago to determine and identify members of the syndicate.
“They are now cross-referencing the incident report and airport workers on duty and even those who are in the immediate vicinity of the area and make them explain their presence,” the source said.
100 bullets seized
The source said that based on the records furnished by airport officials, close to 100 rounds of ammunitions of various calibers had been seized by  OTS personnel since January of this year.
The source added that seized evidence like bullets and slugs would be subjected to forensic tests, including fingerprints to determine its origin.
Stories of victims of harassment of departing passengers, mostly unaccompanied, center on their alleged lack of proof of sufficient reason to travel.
“They will ask for documents, such as letters of invitations, just to delay the passenger and impress on the unsuspecting victim that she or he had been profiled. Most of the victims were seafarers who usually carry money and almost always have  various destinations. They will ask for a visa despite the explanation of some seafarers that visa will be issued by their employer in the next destination,” the source said.
According to the source, sometimes the intention was simply just to delay the passenger, especially those who were rushing to board their flights.
“These airport workers will accept anything from the harassed passengers who sometimes were even grateful to be allowed to leave,” the source said.
NBI task force
The justice department spokesperson, Emmanuel Caparas, told reporters Wednesday that an NBI special task force had been formed to look into the airport scams.
The task force will “undertake an investigation on all incidents of the tanim-bala scam at
Naia to similarly undertake a case buildup on the possible criminal and/or administrative liabilities of all individuals and agencies involved, whether public or private,” according to a department order that Caguioa signed on Monday and released Wednesday.
The NBI agents assigned to the task force are Manuel Antonio Eduarte, chief; Manuel Fayre Jr., executive officer; Dennis Asistio, team leader; Joselito Guillen, assistant team leader; and Aubren Cosidon, Rodelio Velez and Marvin Villena, members.
Caguioa ordered the task force to coordinate with “all relevant government agencies” to accomplish their job.
At least two alleged victims of tanim-bala have sought the help of the NBI: American missionary Lane Michael White and Maria Paz Triaz.
Lane, who was detained after arriving from the United States, was charged with illegal possession of ammunition but was freed on bail. Triaz was allowed to leave for Singapore after signing a waiver stating that the bullet found in her bag was an amulet. With a report from Jerome Aning
Edited by sonjack2847
  • Like 1

gaga4
Posted
Posted

Whats the source, Jack?

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
Whats the source, Jack?

Article was in the Inquirer

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Does this happen anywhere else in the World? I Doubt it?

Nice one Philippines You got a another Wining Scam, Engineered at the Top, Worked by the Middle, cash Collected at the bottom and all get a share.

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Whats the source, Jack?

Article was in the Inquirer

Yes the inquirer I don`t like to post links in case it breaks the rules.