Bullet Scam Angered Philippine Legislators

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Just had a text from a friends Leaving for HK this Afternoon, They checked in early because of the long Queues, Seems that there Are Supervisors and PNP officers at Each Security Station Checking and Double Checking, maybe, Just maybe they actually are taking this more seriously than we know. They apparently are not Stopping anyone from taking Videos.

Jack :)

• Like 4

gaga4
Posted
Posted (edited)

Thanks everyone for posting about this. I will be returning to manila this Friday the 13th and am concerned about it.  From some of the information I have found on Facebook and YouTube, the problem is mostly with flights going out of Manila.  I also wonder if there is civil action that could be taken against the airport if it is proven that a bullet was actually planted??  When the airport has to start paying for the scam, then the scam will end. Please keep me informed.

Here is something that was posted online on how to help not getting victimized:

A suggestion to prevent getting victimized before handing your baggage to the "security screener" while you are in line in the airport. I'm sure you can find ways to further improve it but the basic idea is this:

Since members of this syndicate may have tampered with your luggage starting from outside the airport anything is possible. So while you are in line for security, inspect your baggage yourself. Remove everything even if you have to do it in the middle of the floor in the airport while you are in line. Inspect the contents and luggage thoroughly. It is your right to do this especially with what is happening. No one can prevent you from doing it. The public address announcements in the airport are always warning travelers about carrying anything from someone you do not know. You are simply following what the announcement says by checking your luggage.

If you find a bullet or any contraband while going thru the contents of your luggage, throw it in the trash. Put the contents back once you are assured there is no bullet or contraband. Do not let anyone unknown to you come near you while you are doing this. And do not let anyone else handle your baggage once you put everything back in your luggage until you hand it to the screener. Take your cell phone out and video the process. They will want to see your cell phone as you go thru the scanners. Get it back right away after you are scanned and continue videoing your luggage until you have it back. Every traveler in NAIA should do this.

If after you inspect your luggage and someone messes with again, repeat the process. If it slows down the line that is not your fault. Let the airline worry about it.

Oh... and to answer your other questions about taking legal action.... don't hold your breath... I guarantee nothing will come about it!!!

The judicial system is a joke. An example I happened to know of is a case that is probably at least 40 years old. A US company (Brown & Root) owed back pay to a bunch of OFWs who worked in the Middle East in the 70s. B&R agreed to pay $600 million for all unpaid wages. It went to the Philippine gov't and the OFW claimants eventually got a trickle of their claims - after 40 years!!!

Edited by gaga4

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Since members of this syndicate may have tampered with your luggage starting from outside the airport anything is possible. So while you are in line for security, inspect your baggage yourself. Remove everything even if you have to do it in the middle of the floor in the airport while you are in line. Inspect the contents and luggage thoroughly. It is your right to do this especially with what is happening. No one can prevent you from doing it. The public address announcements in the airport are always warning travelers about carrying anything from someone you do not know. You are simply following what the announcement says by checking your luggage.
If many do that, it will be chaos in the airport, which I suppose would bother the airport bosses  :hystery:

But now they seem to have started bothering finaly...

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

K and k went through T2 last Thursday with no problems; she was careful of course.

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Well... a US citizen was arrested in the Cebu airport for having a gun.  Maybe he was on his way to Manila to pick up all the extra bullets?

Ok... the headline sayas he was "nabbed".  Seems like a juvenile term for a reporter...  :tiphat:

US citizen nabbed for gun possession at Cebu airport
ABS-CBNnews.com
Posted at 11/09/15 11:50 AM

MANILA - An American citizen was arrested Sunday night after authorities confiscated a gun from his baggage at the Mactan-Cebu International Airport (MCIA). 

Col. Joselito Solido, head of MCIA'sPhilippine National Police Aviation Security Group (PNP-Avsegroup), said airport authorities stopped suspect Timothy Lindsay, 66, at the international departure area after noticing a suspicious box in his baggage. 

Airport authorities discovered a caliber .45 firearm inside the luggage of the American who had been bound for Incheon, South Korea. 

Solido said Lindsay failed to present documents for the gun. 

The suspect, who is a retired ship captain, has been detained at the MCIA. 

Airport authorities are coordinating with the Bureau of Immigration regarding Lindsay's custody

Source: http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/nation/regions/11/09/15/us-citizen-nabbed-for-gun-possession-at-cebu-airport

• Like 2

gaga4
Posted
Posted

If many do that, it will be chaos in the airport, which I suppose would bother the airport bosses  :hystery:

But now they seem to have started bothering finaly...

Thats the idea. Tom. They created this problem..... 

• 2 weeks later...
Richieboy67
Posted
Posted

Has anyone seen any news on this recently? Is this still going on?

I'm be going through Ninoy and if it were to happen to me I suppose I will be detained. I'm not caving to any extortion and I cannot afford it anyways.

The last I heard was that released a few people but are still investigating them. Has anyone else been picked up?

Is it legal to record busy going through security?

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

ps, have a look at this news article that includes a Video.     Boss and Mods this is News so I hope the link is OK?

It would have been but when I clicked the link my Avast antivirus popped up with a message saying blocked harmful bla bla so I took the link off the forum.

post-1-0-14023100-1448264234_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

ps, have a look at this news article that includes a Video.     Boss and Mods this is News so I hope the link is OK?

It would have been but when I clicked the link my Avast antivirus popped up with a message saying blocked harmful bla bla so I took the link off the forum.

attachicon.gifavast block.jpg

Ah OK My apologies

Jack. :tiphat:

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Has anyone seen any news on this recently? Is this still going on?

I'm be going through Ninoy and if it were to happen to me I suppose I will be detained. I'm not caving to any extortion and I cannot afford it anyways.

The last I heard was that released a few people but are still investigating them. Has anyone else been picked up?

Is it legal to record busy going through security?

I think there are other factors to consider other than just the airport for example if in a hotel you have the bellboy come to your room to take your luggage downstairs. Opportunity there to work with buddies at the airport. Then comes the taxi which might have already been mentioned, same deal as they are handling your stuff.

• Like 1