Bullet Scam Angered Philippine Legislators

Richieboy67
Posted
Posted (edited)

Yep, Walter Cronkite has nothing on me. :)

*had. :)

Edited by Richieboy67
  • Like 1

gaga4
Posted
Posted

Glad its working out like you said.

Unfortunately, because there is no accountability with just about anything in this country, I don't trust what is going on. I find it mind-boggling that there is a prosecutor onsite when the problem should be addressed by law enforcement such as the PNP or NBI by simply arresting those perpetrating the crime. Assigning a prosecutor does not address the problem. They are basically letting the crime continue and ignoring the perpetrators when the objective should be to stop the crime by arresting all those involved.

• Like 2

Richieboy67
Posted
Posted (edited)

Glad its working out like you said.

Unfortunately, because there is no accountability with just about anything in this country, I don't trust what is going on. I find it mind-boggling that there is a prosecutor onsite when the problem should be addressed by law enforcement such as the PNP or NBI by simply arresting those perpetrating the crime. Assigning a prosecutor does not address the problem. They are basically letting the crime continue and ignoring the perpetrators when the objective should be to stop the crime by arresting all those involved.

They are most likely waiting for things to die down a bit and then they will probably be more selective with targets.

I agree, we need some punishment or what is really to keep anyone from doing this?

Maybe a new President will fix this.

Edited by Richieboy67

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Maybe a new President will fix this.

That my friend could be a lot of happenings still before May 2016. if it was something a "Foreigner had done" things would be Instant

But.............................. :rolleyes:

Jack :unsure:

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

In todays Inquirer. They system may not be perfect, but improvements have been made. For those of us that have ranted, raved, b*tched and moaned about how thing are done here (MYSELF INCLUDED) this is a hopeful sign. 3 folks held, two released, 1 being held due to a bureaucratic foul up, and if anyone here says that their home governments don't screw up now and again,,,,well I can only :hystery: .  Improvement comes in slow, small and excruciating steps, all we can really hope for it that the powers that be build upon these slight improvements and not rest on their laurels.

THREE people at Ninoy Aquino International Airport (Naia) were arrested for carrying bullets in their bags, but were released on Tuesday after the Pasay City prosecutors who handled the complaints saw no criminal intent on their part.

They included a woman who was not even an airline passenger but was only at Naia to welcome an arriving relative.

The Aviation Security Group (Avsegroup)-National Capital Region identified the arrested persons as airline passengers Marc Angelo Unida and Gerald Udarbe, and Josephine Agbayani.

The US-bound Unida, 27, was arrested Friday night after a 9-mm bullet was found in the wallet he placed in his sling bag. The contraband was discovered at the final security screening checkpoint of Naia’s Terminal 2.

The 27-year-old Udarbe, meanwhile, was arrested Monday night when a .40-caliber bullet was found in a black medicine pouch inside his backpack. He was prevented from boarding his flight to China after the bullet was detected by the x-ray scanner at Terminal 3.

Agbayani, 52, entered Terminal 3 Monday afternoon to fetch her relative when a rifle bullet was spotted in her shoulder bag as it went through the x-ray scanner.

The city prosecutor’s office found no “evil” or “malevolent” purpose for the bullets carried by Agbayani and Udarbe, but recommended that Unida’s case undergo further investigation due to the absence of a ballistics report in the complaint.

On Agbayani’s case, assistant city prosecutor Joahna Gabatino-Lim noted that the woman, during inquest proceedings, insisted she was keeping the bullet as a talisman to “drive away evil spirits”—thus making it “a harmless possession.”

Assistant city prosecutor Teresa Purzuelo, who handled Udarbe’s case, said “there is no logical reason why respondent would possess a single bullet with criminal intent to use it, except that he kept it as an amulet with benign intent to ward off evil spirits or as a good luck charm, an acknowledged Filipino custom especially among old folk.’’

• Like 4

gaga4
Posted
Posted

It begs the question however as to why a " prosecutor" is assigned to the airport when all the authorities need to do is arrest the people planting the bullets.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
arrest the people planting the bullets

Several screeners and other airport personnel are under investigation. Its called "Due Process" Gaga, unless you are advocating martial law and suspension of existing laws? Which I don't think you are.

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

It begs the question however as to why a " prosecutor" is assigned to the airport when all the authorities need to do is arrest the people planting the bullets.

Hey Gaga4,

Isn't it obvious that they needed a quick fix and brought in outsiders to police the airport.  The head of aviation security cannot be trusted. In post #132, you alluded that the airport manager is related to the president.  Are you assuming that criminal investigation and ultimate justice is very slow?  I would......

Edited by Jake

gaga4
Posted
Posted

If the "authorities" really want to put a stop to this terroristic scam they would have done it already. But the masterminds are still trying to decide whether or not to kill the golden goose.  As far as due process, there is no such thing in the Philippines. 

And I am not making assumptions. I am stating facts. The fact that no one has been arrested just shows the perpetrators are connected. If it walks like a duck..... 

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I am stating facts. The fact that no one has been arrested just shows the perpetrators are connected. If it walks like a duck..... 

MANILA, Philippines – The Office of Transportation Security (OTS) has released its results in the bullet planting scam known as ‘tanim-bala.’

The report noted that numerous discrepancies in the records of passengers held or arrested in the anomaly shows that many were in fact planted.

So far 17 employees have been sacked from their positions because of the discrepancies.

http://philippineslifestyle.com/blog/tag/bullet-scam-philippines/

Are these not Facts.

Jack :unsure: