Sharing between the family

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Since you have moved to the Philippines have you changed the outlook of the family into helping each other, or is it the case they still think its down to the rich ones in the family to help out,

I am a great believer in if we all put something in the pot then everyone is happy rather then just 1 person filling the pot themselves, reading through many threads about finance, helping the family and so it seems we all have given something and many still give now to help support each other,

We are all getting older and many are on fixed incomes and are trying to make our money stretch as far as it can go but when something comes along that you have not budgeted for, well you either go without or try to share the cost,

Am i best to grow a thick skin now or can things change, i do know i can say a big No and the family know that too, but it would be nice to think yes we are all family and a problem shared is a problem halved

• Like 4

RBM
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, manofthecoldland said:

Hate to say it, but I really don't see much 'sharing' in my personal situation. What they call sharing is... I give and they take.  Even our relatives that have jobs as government workers, teachers, police, seamen, etc... (with the one exception of an officer seaman who treated us at a restaurant), seem pretty quick to ask when in need, but NEVER have they come through for my wife. 

I had her run an experiment... she asked for help (money) and everyone was apparently broke or dealing with debt. 

I will not fund anyone's education for a worthless degree. I will contribute up to 50% of medical bills for a few close people if in need. 

SInce they are seemingly broke all the time, even after I bail them out, I am still expected to pay them if they mend our fences, do laundry etc., despite 'giving' them money for unforseen medical bills, etc.  They do have to eat. 

I know that my own brother and sisters would make it a point of honor and pride to carry their fair share of any family burden, but here in the PI that doesn't seem the norm. Its more of a communist manifesto thing... from each according to his ability, to each according to his need. That's anathema to individualism and fair exchange, but then again, this isn't a very individualistic society. 

Do you believe by continually bailing them out your in fact helping or just encouraging them to just ask for more?

• Like 4

mogo51
Posted
Posted

I can care for my SO but there will be none for extended family.  I made that quite clear when we first met and I will be adhering to it.  My SO understands this.

• Like 3

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, manofthecoldland said:

They soon get the message that you're not a patsy or easy mark and label you 'Koriput' in their ignorance,

I wear it like a badge of honour

• Like 4