scott h
Posted
Posted

According to the latest poll, 40% of his fellow countrymen think so:89:

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Nephi said:

A thought I have here is if he were to cut ties with the US and Australia, China would be in here and forcibly take over within two weeks. At that point the Philippines would have no one to come to their aid to liberate them. This man would no longer be president and would likely be dead himself. That type of event would likely cause all of us expats to be forced to leave and return to our home countries if it were possible to do so. Also during this transition of government our retirement deposits to local banks would be stopped and we really would be in a world of hurt.

Nephi

That is definitely a worst case scenario.  Or it may be just talk, he talked the talk in Davao which is why he got where he is.

Tudirty for President!!!!!   Er, I mean Duterte, or do I :whistling:

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

No critical thought just pride. Something much needed today.

ITGeek
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Mike S said:

Lets not get into US politics as it isn't allowed ..... we all have our own favorite and choices ..... the Phils is a different ball game as we can't vote or make a choice anyway .... :cornflakes:

I think the point is that Duterte and Trump are very similar in personality.  Both talk a strong message and pose a threat to the political status quo.  Both have been raked over the coals by the MSM and PC police over their remarks and neither apologize for it.  This has only made them more popular to their respective countries citizens.  I would love to be a fly on wall when if it comes to a meeting between Duterte and Trump.  Now that should be shown on PPV like a Pacquiao vs Mayweather match, remember the celebrity boxing matches? :rolleyes: 

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

US president Lyndon Johnson might have said the same words in a similar situation. He said enough other garbage, exposed himself to people for shock value, used racist epithets and so on.

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, robert k said:

US president Lyndon Johnson might have said the same words in a similar situation. He said enough other garbage, exposed himself to people for shock value, used racist epithets and so on.

Yeah but that was 50 years ago. Its a different world today. People like Duerte and Trump are born 50 years to late. Hopefully idiots wont vote people like that into power.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Sander Martin said:

Yeah but that was 50 years ago.

Just as a statistical analysis, not as an endorsement of any candidate of any country. The thing is though that Duerte is polling in the 40%. Trump has already been approved by 20-30% of ALL the citizens who have so far cast ballots.

That's the nasty thing about democracy, it give a fairly accurate picture of the mood of the populace (or segments of it anyway)

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

This Duterte embodies the difference between American politicians and Philippine politicians.  To illustrate, do I need to tell you the nationality of the politicians who spoke these words (paraphrased for effet)

"I did not have sex with that woman."

"I wish I had been one of the guys having sex with that woman."

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

To me it boils down to instability in the future. The Philippines can not afford to cut ties with anyone and one candidate seems to have no mentality other than kill all. By that I mean his hard line get rid of drug dealers which has spread his popularity but he has no policy other than big words that will end him in the future. 

I see big problems if he is elected and dont get me wrong I once thought this was the man but now I have my doubts. 

• Like 3