Honestly, is this the voice of a leader

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Gratefuled said:

You are right. The government cannot make them rich. They do not have to be rich but the government could make education easier for them. It is expensive to give children in the Philippines even a high school education. Public schools are poor. If you only knew the condition of them you would be surprised. Private schools are too expensive for poor families. 

So, as I've read the way to control a population is to:

1. keep them poor, 2. keep them ignorant. and 3. keep them busy.

Should they be re-elected, you ask. I think some should be replaced but I don't think Duterte is the answer. 

We could talk about this back and forth but nothing we can do so why bother. 

You forgot about the best weapon to control population: Religion.

My fiances sister has been working on cruiseboats around the world for a few years now. Her contract is about 10months on the boat and 2 home. After the last contracts she was just venting on FB about wanting to do something else and that shes not really happy on the boats. A few people replied that she should be happy to have a job like that and that thousands of people are praying everyday to get a job like she has. I wanted to reply that maybe those people praying should work hard to get there (like she did) instead of wasting their time praying. Luckly i didnt - im sure that would have got me enemies haha.

Plenty of people here living with a today mentality. They dont care about tomorrow. "Its gods will" or whatever. Just a easy way of saying im lazy. Alot of the times People stuck "struggling" dont do anything to make their tomorrow better. Back home we have a saying that even god only helps people that help themselfs.

Anyway i dont think there will be much change for the better, no matter whoever gets voted as a top dog. Question is how much worse can it go.

Edited by Sander Martin
  • Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Sander Martin said:

You forgot about the best weapon to control population: Religion.

My fiances sister has been working on cruiseboats around the world for a few years now. Her contract is about 10months on the boat and 2 home. After the last contracts she was just venting on FB about wanting to do something else and that shes not really happy on the boats. A few people replied that she should be happy to have a job like that and that thousands of people are praying everyday to get a job like she has. I wanted to reply that maybe those people praying should work hard to get there (like she did) instead of wasting their time praying. Luckly i didnt - im sure that would have got me enemies haha.

Plenty of people here living with a today mentality. They dont care about tomorrow. "Its gods will" or whatever. Just a easy way of saying im lazy. Alot of the times People stuck "struggling" dont do anything to make their tomorrow better. Back home we have a saying that even god only helps people that help themselfs.

Anyway i dont think there will be much change for the better, no matter whoever gets voted as a top dog. Question is how much worse can it go.

Maybe the question is if you are near the bottom rung, would it change your life at all? Those people might be willing to experiment. There are a lot of people in the Philippines you would have a hard time convincing that they had something at stake. It is hard to control people who don't believe they will lose anything no matter what they do.

• Like 3

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Sander Martin said:

Plenty of people here living with a today mentality. They dont care about tomorrow. "Its gods will" or whatever.

I have seen a particular shrug they do that I have named the "but what can you do" shrug.  I have heard people say that while giving the shrug.  'That is just the way it is - what can you do.'

They are trained that way I think.  It seems that attitude benefits the government and the church.  They do not question authority, don't worry about politics, don't struggle to improve their own lot... (and it is not just in the PI's)

Maybe Dutertes popularity is the only way they know to fight that.  I think it will backfire on them, but they are trying.  You know, they have only been free since 1946, they are still learning what democracy is, many are not sure if it is what they want.

• Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

many are not sure if it is what they want.

Not too sure many know what they can Actually have

Larry45
Posted
Posted

It amazes me how many expats are still supporting Duterte.  As foreigners, we have very few rights here now....imagine how few we will all have under martial law.  "Six months until no crime" will become, "sorry I underestimated the problem...we need martial law".  I'm guessing Marcos didn't run his campaign on the "martial law" platform either...lol.   All politicians are corrupt, but I always voted for the one that can hurt me the least.  Duterte can hurt me and my family the most, and probably you and yours too.....think about it./rant  :) 

• Like 4

robert k
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Larry45 said:

It amazes me how many expats are still supporting Duterte.  As foreigners, we have very few rights here now....imagine how few we will all have under martial law.  "Six months until no crime" will become, "sorry I underestimated the problem...we need martial law".  I'm guessing Marcos didn't run his campaign on the "martial law" platform either...lol.   All politicians are corrupt, but I always voted for the one that can hurt me the least.  Duterte can hurt me and my family the most, and probably you and yours too.....think about it./rant  :) 

If it makes you feel better, I'm not voting for any of them.:thumbsup:

I'm not even supporting any of them as that would be interference, which is against the law.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, robert k said:

I'm not even supporting any of them as that would be interference, which is against the law.

:hystery: :thumbsup::shades:

Larry45
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, robert k said:

Well, of course, I cannot vote for anyone either, nor am I supporting anyone.  Duterte will make changes that will benefit Filipinos, and that's good.  FILIPINOS need a strong leader and some discipline that their parents never taught them.  I'm just saying don't be surprised if expat life here turns upside down when he is elected.  That's the concern. And your point is taken, also. :)  

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I am not supporting anyone either...but I may have a preference.  Too bad she is doing so bad in the polls ha ha.  :tiphat:

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
On 24 April 2016 at 5:29 PM, robert k said:

Maybe the question is if you are near the bottom rung, would it change your life at all? Those people might be willing to experiment. There are a lot of people in the Philippines you would have a hard time convincing that they had something at stake. It is hard to control people who don't believe they will lose anything no matter what they do.

That is how Communist revolutions begin. When the poor greatly outnumber the rich and the middle class has shrunk. The Philippines is ripe for a drastic change in government.