Is the Philippines a Dangerous Place?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, davewe said:

At the risk of getting hammered again I have had one other thought regarding the issue of danger/safety in the Philippines. I can't prove it but I think that most of us are risk takers. I have met several guys from this forum, from other forums, and expats in general living in the Philippines and other 3rd world countries, and in my view most are risk takers. I guess this includes me. Every time I tell people the story of being in Kenya, 12 feet away from a roaring male lion and being completely enthralled - well friends look at me with envy, as well as a look that says 'he's freaking crazy.' I don't think I'm crazy - I wouldn't trade that experience for anything, but I guess it's why someone might question my sanity.

So if I am right and most of us are risk takers, then the way we view danger or safety is different than the norm.

OTOH if a guy came to the Philippines just for a girl or the cheaper cost of living, maybe he's more risk adverse - and for good reasons. And no, I'm not trying to measure the size of everyone's balls :hystery: - just stating what seems obvious to me.

Well, it's only a theory but I'm sticking to it.

Dave, by coincidence I was going to start a new topic somewhat along the same lines.

• Like 1

davewe
Posted
Posted
55 minutes ago, scott h said:

I will buy into this also Dave. I would prefer to adjust it to "calculating, adventurous and self assured".

A lot of us are willing and even eager to leave the security and known quality of our home countries. But at the same time have the wisdom and common sense to avoid overtly dangerous situations.

Now if we are distracted by looking at our significant other and step in front of a Jeepney, or get struck by lightning, well that can happen anywhere.

Bottom line is, living with the unknown where you adrenalin is always slightly elevated because a person is in area strange to him, whelp, that life is not for everyone.:thumbsup:

Totally agree Scott and you said it better then me!

• Like 1

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted

I'm more worried about killing someone here, then being killed. I feel like murdering people everytime i go to the supermarket here and wait 30minutes in line because it takes them ages to serve the 4 persons in front of me and then just before its my turn, they start to count the money they have in the cash register....

One day at a time ???.

• Like 4

FortuneFavorsTheBold
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 7/2/2016 at 5:05 AM, Larry45 said:

I've posted several times that I'm on the way out.  I would prefer to stay, if the country was headed in a different direction.  It really makes me sad to see otherwise intelligent expats completely disregarding the dangers here, and perpetuating that delusional nonsense to other potential newcomers.  How anyone can positively spin the news lately is beyond me.  Communists are now allowed to kill anyone they deem as a drug addict?  I really cannot converse with a forum that doesn't see the extreme danger in that.  Good luck to you all...   

Larry45 ~ Yes, you bring up some issues that people have no control over, and are not aware of. My partner was partners with FM before the CIA took him out of power. DU30 was just an unknown cabinet member at the time. This is why DU30 is so close to BongBong. Anyway, most people know that FM ran the Country under Martial Law. To try to be brief, Martial Law is being implemented in parts of the Country as we speak, and the history and people involved speak for themselves, so we will see where it goes. 

Edited by FortuneFavorsTheBold
Spelling error.

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic