Is the Philippines a dangerous place?

Yes and No (subjective)

• Like 1

Larry45
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, davewe said:

Another angle on the safety issue:

When my wife 1st moved here she thought the US was the safest place imaginable - certainly much safer than the Philippines. After all that's what Filipinos believe: the US and Europe are safe places lined with gold.

Her first indication that things were not what she believed was witnessing all the homeless people in our city. Explaining the dynamics of homelessness took several lengthy conversations.

"Well at least there are no terrorists here, like in the Philippines," she said. I laugh. "What about 9-11?" I asked. Of course she didn't know about that or any other terrorist attacks here. I showed her videos. Her eyes grew wide.

I felt I had to show her about crime in our relatively safe city, just to let her know that there are dangers and to act safely. I think overall she feels safe here - but she carries her mace everywhere and knows how to use it!

I've said it before and believe it - ultimately "safety" is an emotion; you feel safe or you don't feel safe. It's a choice that has little to do with crime statistics.

Not picking on you, Davewe, but to me it's just totally disingenuous and unconscionable to continually spin reality in a manner that benefits a website.  Shouldn't there be a disclaimer...The other Dave did as such about a resto recently, as did the bossman....let's have some accountability on the forum.  If you actually live here and want to interact...you should be separate from the vendors merely posting rose-colored drivel to promote their websites. 

• Like 1

FortuneFavorsTheBold
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Larry45 said:

Well, Dave Houndriver is probably right.  As much as you want to warn the newcomers about potential dangers, they are most likely to turn a deaf ear and ignore the realities of living here.   The big problem for me is that I don't benefit from living here as much as most guys do.  But that's also how I can give an honest assessment of expat life here.  If I was a divorced 60ish guy, having spent all those year in the west...well, it would be heaven here for me, and I would be trumpeting to the world how awesome this country is and how safe I FEEL here.  Cheers  :cheersty:

15 hours ago, chris49 said:

Don, others. I didn't think the OP was a troll. A troll will be a first time poster with some agenda? Or are they Spammers? After reading the comments, maybe he was trolling for answers, but that is a bit different.

Thank you Larry45, Chris49, and others who have provided honest assessments. I will post my CV and respond to some of the nonsense I see in this thread when I return from the mountains. Maybe I will get lucky and see OnMyWay's CV when I return.

FortuneFavorsTheBold
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Larry45 said:

15 hours ago, chris49 said:

13 hours ago, Larry45 said:

Yeah, Mike, that's the issue here.  Foreigners considering the safety of their families and we're all together on that.  NPA operate in the bukid / mountains nearby here and have made a nuisance of themselves, even hijacking convoys for Typhoon relief efforts.   They are not our friends, and if they met me on the street with some empowerment, they would likely kill me with pleasure, and laugh about it afterwards.  I've chatted with several locals on this news, and none of them are happy with it.  Yeah, just old news.

100% correct Larry45. When I came here 16 years ago, the NPA attacked a convoy of AFP near where I was at the time. About 24 killed per the news, many more if you knew how many were helicoptered out before daylight. Point being, although the NPA got a lot of weapons and ammo, this was just a training exercise for them. What a lot of foreigners don't understand is the extremely low value that is placed on human life here.

FortuneFavorsTheBold
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, virginprune said:

Quite a patronising post all in all. I cannot vouch for anybody else but I certainly did not spend 60 plus years cosseted in the west. As a younger man I spent 18 months on active service in the army in Northern Ireland, certainly dangerous and unpleasant. In my 30's, I lived in Antigua for a couple of years, after that sabbatical I spent a year living rough in London. Now that is a dangerous place to be! I have also lived in Thailand for 4 years so not unaware of the realities of SE Asia.

I think what you can do is give an honest assessment of your expat life here. However, that does not make you an authority on all expat life here.

As for heaven, that exists nowhere on this earth and anybody who thinks it does is deluding themselves!

Thank you for serving virginprune, it is greatly appreciated. Combat veterans don't get the respect that they deserve.

• Like 1

FortuneFavorsTheBold
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Larry45 said:

Duterte is coming through on his promises, and I don't think we have anything to worry about now.  False alarm everyone.

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/philippines-duterte-urges-communists-kill-criminals-112610716.html

I believe DU30 when he says thousands will die. Although it appears that many foreigners here do not bother to watch or read the local news, it has been reported that hundreds have been executed already, before DU30 even officially took office.

FortuneFavorsTheBold
Posted
Posted
On 6/30/2016 at 5:20 PM, chris49 said:

Does it matter? The discussion here has been good, above board. Quite a bit of useful information.

I agree chris49. If you ignore the off topic personal attacks and insults, there is some good discussion and useful information in the thread.

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Larry45 said:

Well, Dave Houndriver is probably right.  As much as you want to warn the newcomers about potential dangers, they are most likely to turn a deaf ear and ignore the realities of living here.   The big problem for me is that I don't benefit from living here as much as most guys do.  But that's also how I can give an honest assessment of expat life here.  If I was a divorced 60ish guy, having spent all those year in the west...well, it would be heaven here for me, and I would be trumpeting to the world how awesome this country is and how safe I FEEL here.  Cheers  :cheersty:

Im not a divorced 60ish guy.. Not even close to it ?. I dont think its overly dangerous, but im excited on leaving. Not because i feel unsafe, but because i found out quite quickly that Philippines isn't for me. A few posts after that one you said the same. Why in hell are you still here, if you dont like the people and the country????

Edited by Sander Martin
  • Like 3

robert k
Posted
Posted
On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 4:11 PM, Sander Martin said:

Why stay here if you think this place is so dangerous and you might get robbed or murdered any minute?

23 hours ago, virginprune said:

I concur, if I felt like that I wouldn't be here.

I said the same in the "New President" thread. I was told it isn't that easy to move. Maybe they don't really believe they are in danger, maybe some people are just more decisive than others?:89: 

I wonder how many would go back to their home countries for treatment if they had an expensive life threatening illness? Many would tell you they would be gone like a shot if they were physically capable of travelling.

• Like 3

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic