Is the Philippines a Dangerous Place?

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Nephi said:

True for sure; but it's the people that come here without checking things out and taking the time to learn the ropes that get hurt or dead. Many people come to live here expecting it to be "just like home" and that's just not the case.

Yes Nephi, but you can get robbed/killed for the same reasons in any country. There are bad areas in all the countries of the world. Thats why you do your homework and ask around from people that have lived in the city/area for a longer time. I wouldn't go walking around in the slum area here wearing nice things (I wouldn't even go without the bling). Same way I wouldn't go walking around the crap areas on major western citys.

It kinda is same like home here. You just have to avoid the shit areas.

Even in safe countries like Sweden you have areas where even the police are scared to go.

• Like 4

davewe
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, robert k said:

Dave, women kill husbands lots more often than people think in the US. There is a television show called "Snapped". There are a fair number of Black Widows (the spider) that kill their mates.

Something that shocked me when I first read the stat is that more women than men abuse and kill their children in the US. It's just so contrary to what we are taught; that it's the man who is abusive. 

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Back on topic; :56da64b51da2f_36_1_681:

In regards to Expats living in Philippines we know that some behaviours may increase risks and there are areas best avoided. In most cases simple common sense and situational awareness is all that one needs. We also know in some cases the perpetrator is someone close to the Expat.

• Like 2

FortuneFavorsTheBold
Posted
Posted
On 6/28/2016 at 0:02 AM, Dave Hounddriver said:

It was dangerous for my friend Henk.  Married a filipina 12 years ago (or so), had a son, bought property, she found someone else and ran away.  She came back recently and wanted money.  He did not give her enough, it seems, as he was recently killed by 2 men on a motorcycle.  Story here

http://biliranisland.com/blogs/2016/06/27/dutch-national-shot-dead-in-biliran/

Yep, the guys on the motorcycles only cost a few thousand pesos and they can be hired for a minor disagreement, so it's not helpful to be telling newbies how "safe" it is here.

FortuneFavorsTheBold
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, chris49 said:

I know only the one's I have seen in the newspaper or on TV. Are there others?

There must be some data on the number of foreigners killed by their assawa?

A very small fraction of crime is reported in the Philippines for many reasons, fear of retribution, corrupt cops, politics, etc., etc.

FortuneFavorsTheBold
Posted
Posted
On 6/27/2016 at 1:06 AM, OnMyWay said:

I suggest to the original poster that he expand on his posts a bit and share a bit more of his background.  I'm smelling troll but would be happy to have my nose proved wrong.

On 6/26/2016 at 10:46 AM, Larry45 said:

One of the funniest posts I ever read in any forum was an expat telling the story a few years ago about how one of his neighbors got shot and bled out on his front lawn.  He related several other violent incidences and extortions in his neighborhood, yet concluded the post by stating "but that can happen anywhere...I've never felt safer than I do here."  No that doesn't happen anywhere, and that's the nonsensical delusion to which I'm referring.   Sweet, young, nubile Filipinas tend to have that effect on us, you know.   I like to think I'm a voice of reason, and six years ago I wish I had someone telling me the reality of the Philippines instead of the typical rose-colored types blowing smoke up my ass. (not directed at anyone here, that was long ago)   :smile:      

You are the voice of reason Larry45, and you will likely be attacked for it ;-) I have already been called a troll, whatever that is, just for posting the question.

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Spousal killings are a regular occurrence throughout the world. Here in Thailand, cutting off the male appenditure is an Olympic sport.

• Like 4

Larry45
Posted
Posted
On 6/28/2016 at 5:27 AM, Jollygoodfellow said:

And then this was posted this morning on another forum.

American murdered in Dauin

An American was stabbed to death in Dauin this morning.  It is not general news as of yet as all of the next of kin (their children) have not been notified and the investigation is ongoing.

So, please, if you know who he is, please keep it quiet for now.

He was one part of an American couple who retired here about a year ago.  They were house sitting when a burglary occurred early this morning and he was killed.

His wife is  confined to a wheelchair.  Another retired American couple (friends of theirs) is presently staying with her.  Her plans now are to get out of the Philippines as soon as the investigation and funeral are completed.

If anyone in the Dumaguete/Dauin/Bacong area knows of anyone with a reliable rental car that is available, please PM me. 

Or if you are someone in the area that has a car and is willing to help out, do the same.

I personally knew this couple and broke bread with them many times. 

End of copy

Please stop being so negative...that could happen anywhere.  You think your country is perfect?  Filipinos are very friendly and welcoming people.   I've never felt safer than I do here in the Philippines  /sarcasm

RIP.....

RBM
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, chris49 said:

In or out of earthquake season?  .:smile:

I have been in Wellington and Christchurch and I would say they are among the safest cities in the world.

I said the same thing in Riyadh in 1981. Then in circa 2000 and onwards things changed. We were called in to work during the first compound bombing, 39 killed. We did not get all the victims but they lined the hallways that night.

Chris there are areas in Christchurch that I would compare to top of mango Cebu late at night,  danger wise. Both I would not roam around late, during day time no worries.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, FortuneFavorsTheBold said:

Yep, the guys on the motorcycles only cost a few thousand pesos and they can be hired for a minor disagreement, so it's not helpful to be telling newbies how "safe" it is here.

If you know all about it then why did you as the question, Is the Philippines safe? 

• Like 2

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic