Is the Philippines a Dangerous Place?

chris49
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Since the women who kill their foreign husbands in Philippines seem to get away with it, more often than not, how would anyone arrive at hard numbers.  Seems we can either open our eyes and look around or put blinders on.

True, but often the reason is so trivial; such as the wife found a younger man and can live on the dead foreigner's social security for the next dozen years or so if he's dead, this due to them having one or more kids together.

I just did not see men getting killed in Canada by their wives.  Of course the wives in Canada would be foolish to do that when they can divorce him, take half or what he has now and half of what he will earn for a large part of his future life.  Here, there is no divorce, only annulments and widows.

I know only the one's I have seen in the newspaper or on TV. Are there others?

There must be some data on the number of foreigners killed by their assawa?

Mr. Bobo
Posted
Posted (edited)

deleted

Edited by Jollygoodfellow
Sorry wont allow that link on this forum

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, chris49 said:

There must be some data on the number of foreigners killed by their assawa?

I can give one piece of data the otherway around that I never forgot.

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Larry45 said:

Mogo, I stated that school shootings (or any shootings) are horrible, and are indeed a tragedy.  My point was that the odds of it happening are much smaller than you might think.  Unfortunately the media and anti-gun lobby portrays these rare incidents as if they are common-place.     

Even tho they are rare in the US, then they are much much much more rarer in other countries of the world. There's not meny countries in the world where a random person can walk into a Walmart like store and buy an assault rifle.

My favorite stand up comedy about Gun Control.. He has some good points.

Sure expats get killed here, but how much of that is just random violence? Ok some get killed/abducted in Mindanao by the Muslims and some might get robbed. Id say tho that most of the expats killed in PH knew the killer/person who ordered the killing.

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Sander Martin said:

My favorite stand up comedy about Gun Control.. He has some good points.

If there is one thing that throws topics off and become heated is gun control. Please avoid it and stick with  "is the Philippines a dangerous place".  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, RBM said:

Personally feel just as safe if not safer than being in Christchurch.

I totally agree, and I had many a chat with Hank (Henk) before he was murdered and he felt exactly the same way.  Everyone feels safe until after they have been a victim.  My mother tells me how she felt safe as a kid in Brixton during the Blitz.  She would wake up in the morning and see the neighbors house was just a pile of rubble and she would go play in the bombed out buildings.  People tend to feel safe in the strangest of places and we never believe it will happen to us.  Thus, how we feel is a very poor indicator of how safe it is or is not.

• Like 2

Nephi
Posted
Posted
On 6/26/2016 at 8:10 AM, FortuneFavorsTheBold said:

Is the Philippines a dangerous place?

I'm going to kinda go against the grain of opinion here and say that yes, The Philippines is a dangerous country for foreign expats and or visitors.

This is true because it is an extremely poor country where people will take advantage of most any opportunity to get ahead. Mostly it is because they use ways or ideas to take advantage of us that are new and different to us and being from Western countries that are easy going and far too trusting of others. That in itself is enough to get us into trouble or dead.

It's no more dangerous or risky here than on the bad side of town in LA or Chicago but we must keep out wits about us and remember this "aint" Kansas and that we stick out like a sore thumb where ever we go.

• Like 2

Nephi
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Maybe so but we all get on with our lives and dont hide under the bed just incase the boogie man is waiting. We weigh up the risks, take precautions as best as we can and go about our daily lives no matter where we live except for an ex buddy of mine who looks over his shoulder when walking about every 5 meters, stops every 10 meters and turns around to scan the area unless he is in the mall.  :smile:

True for sure; but it's the people that come here without checking things out and taking the time to learn the ropes that get hurt or dead. Many people come to live here expecting it to be "just like home" and that's just not the case.

• Like 5

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

It was dangerous for my friend Henk.  Married a filipina 12 years ago (or so), had a son, bought property, she found someone else and ran away.  She came back recently and wanted money.  He did not give her enough, it seems, as he was recently killed by 2 men on a motorcycle.  Story here

http://biliranisland.com/blogs/2016/06/27/dutch-national-shot-dead-in-biliran/

And then this was posted this morning on another forum.

American murdered in Dauin

An American was stabbed to death in Dauin this morning.  It is not general news as of yet as all of the next of kin (their children) have not been notified and the investigation is ongoing.

So, please, if you know who he is, please keep it quiet for now.

He was one part of an American couple who retired here about a year ago.  They were house sitting when a burglary occurred early this morning and he was killed.

His wife is  confined to a wheelchair.  Another retired American couple (friends of theirs) is presently staying with her.  Her plans now are to get out of the Philippines as soon as the investigation and funeral are completed.

If anyone in the Dumaguete/Dauin/Bacong area knows of anyone with a reliable rental car that is available, please PM me. 

Or if you are someone in the area that has a car and is willing to help out, do the same.

I personally knew this couple and broke bread with them many times. 

End of copy

• Like 3

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic