Is the Philippines a Dangerous Place?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Sander Martin said:

Why stay here if you think this place is so dangerous and you might get robbed or murdered any minute?

5 hours ago, virginprune said:

I concur, if I felt like that I wouldn't be here.

I answered that in a previous post (see below) so let me now respond to your question with another question:  Do you think the people who have been victims of crime in Philippines felt safe up to the point they were victimized?  Do you think they would have left the country if they felt there was danger here.

On 6/28/2016 at 6:53 PM, Dave Hounddriver said:

People tend to feel safe in the strangest of places and we never believe it will happen to us.  Thus, how we feel is a very poor indicator of how safe it is or is not.

Somewhere on this forum I stated my personal position on this a long time back.  Personally, I told my family back in Canada that I believe this to be a more dangerous place than Canada but the excitement and joie de vivre of living here outweighs the desire to live in a secure place.  Thus, I told them, if the worst happens know that I made my choices and accept the consequences.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 5

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
58 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Do you think the people who have been victims of crime in Philippines felt safe up to the point they were victimized?  Do you think they would have left the country if they felt there was danger here.

Let's turn that around. If you were assaulted badly on the Streets in Canada. Had you wallet and car stolen at the same time would you leave Canada if up until this incident you felt safe? 

• Like 4

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted

If I didn't feel safe in a place and i had the funds and ability to move, then yes i would get the hell out of there and fast.

We are not psychic. I might die here in Philippines tomorrow, in a month in Europe, but hopefully 50 years from now in a place i like. There is alot you can do to minimize risk both here and anywhere else in the world.

• Like 4

Larry45
Posted
Posted

Well, Dave Houndriver is probably right.  As much as you want to warn the newcomers about potential dangers, they are most likely to turn a deaf ear and ignore the realities of living here.   The big problem for me is that I don't benefit from living here as much as most guys do.  But that's also how I can give an honest assessment of expat life here.  If I was a divorced 60ish guy, having spent all those year in the west...well, it would be heaven here for me, and I would be trumpeting to the world how awesome this country is and how safe I FEEL here.  Cheers  :cheersty:

• Like 2

chris49
Posted
Posted

Don, others. I didn't think the OP was a troll. A troll will be a first time poster with some agenda? Or are they Spammers? After reading the comments, maybe he was trolling for answers, but that is a bit different.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, chris49 said:

Don, others. I didn't think the OP was a troll. A troll will be a first time poster with some agenda? Or are they Spammers? After reading the comments, maybe he was trolling for answers, but that is a bit different.

It was his first post, and he made statements answering his own question many times with the most negative thoughts available.  Read his post in the topic here:

http://www.philippines-expats.com/profile/6287-fortunefavorsthebold/content/

He is a troll in my book until such time that he introduces himself properly and tells more about his life here in the Philippines, if that is where he is.  If he can do that, I have no problem apologizing and accepting him as a valued member of the forum.  

• Like 1

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic