Is the Philippines a Dangerous Place?

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, FortuneFavorsTheBold said:

Yes, the Department of Tourism postcard type comments are not helpful to newbies in a very dangerous Country.

Well your already made up your mind it's dangerous but for some reason many expats live there, more coming and tourist numbers are up. Let me ask you what your local papers says at home, robbery in seven eleven maybe, bashing on the corner of such and such. Woman raped bla bla so in what way is the Philippines dangerous unless you venture in known terrorist or war torn areas which represents a small part of the country. 

• Like 5

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Larry, are you serious??  Go and tell the families of the kids who have been murdered whilst just going to school, or a shopping centre or whatever.  Ask them what they think of your 'statistics'.   

• Like 3

mogo51
Posted
Posted

I have never felt less safe in Phils, than I feel in Thailand or Australia for that matter.  If you go to the wrong places in Philippines, it will be the same as anywhere else in the world = you may be asking for problems.

Please note - these places do not include schools, shopping malls or cinemas for example.

• Like 3

MikeSwede
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, FortuneFavorsTheBold said:

Yes, the Department of Tourism postcard type comments are not helpful to newbies in a very dangerous Country.

Before I even try to reply, what are we comparing with here?

On a certain scale from 0-1, Sweden is more "dangerous". On another scale, Brazil seem a bit more scary around the favelas than the province areas of Luzon.

From where are you taking your bearings, and what are your vices that would follow you here?

• Like 4

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted

I am a bit confused, your profile says you are here but asking a question like you have never been. Where are you now? Why are you asking? Sharing more about yourself will get you better answers.

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

3 hours ago, FortuneFavorsTheBold said:

Well your already made up your mind it's dangerous but for some reason many expats live there, more coming and tourist numbers are up. Let me ask you what your local papers says at home, robbery in seven eleven maybe, bashing on the corner of such and such. Woman raped bla bla so in what way is the Philippines dangerous unless you venture in known terrorist or war torn areas which represents a small part of the country. 

I suggest to the original poster that he expand on his posts a bit and share a bit more of his background.  I'm smelling troll but would be happy to have my nose proved wrong.

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Well played sir.

il_570xN.722205080_i3cs.jpg

• Like 5

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

This would qualify as a dangerous place.  Rio.  What a hellhole it has become.  I always wanted to go but even back in the 80's it was bad.  A friend who was 6 foot 5 inches, black and muscular got his watch ripped off while riding the bus, just as shown here.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

In every town, city or country there are areas the locals consider to be dangerous. Switzerland has a well deserved reputation as a safe, tranquil country. Yet we were warned not to enter certain parks in Zurich because heroin addicts frequent the area to shoot. There are pimps, prostitutes, pickpockets, etc. in these park. 

There are many area in the Philippines that are dangerous. Use common sense, ask the locals, and stay away. I think this topic should be comparative as in, "Is the Philippines more dangerous than Thailand?"

• Like 1

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic