Is the Philippines a Dangerous Place?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Larry45 said:

Nearly every expat I know here has been a victim of crime at some point, whereas very few of my friends in the US are ever affected.

Ditto for me.  But each expat I know who has been a victim of crime here, (self included) has brushed it off with the feeling that they survived and whatever doesn't kill you makes you smarter.  'Tis why we try to share knowledge with newcomers, knowing full well they will have to find out the hard way.  At least we try.

• Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Problem is that The Philippines changes daily, Here in Dumaguete, Barangay Balugo was just about the safest Barangay in the City Now some 4+ years after we moved to Junob It seems every Shooting has someone connected to the area, what was once an up market Local business owners area, it has gone down Hill but...... Every Country has this issue on what used to be Good Areas.:Yes:?

• Like 1

Larry45
Posted
Posted (edited)

One of the funniest posts I ever read in any forum was an expat telling the story a few years ago about how one of his neighbors got shot and bled out on his front lawn.  He related several other violent incidences and extortions in his neighborhood, yet concluded the post by stating "but that can happen anywhere...I've never felt safer than I do here."  No that doesn't happen anywhere, and that's the nonsensical delusion to which I'm referring.   Sweet, young, nubile Filipinas tend to have that effect on us, you know.   I like to think I'm a voice of reason, and six years ago I wish I had someone telling me the reality of the Philippines instead of the typical rose-colored types blowing smoke up my ass. (not directed at anyone here, that was long ago)   :smile:      

Edited by Larry45
  • Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, Larry45 said:

six years ago I wish I had someone telling me the reality of the Philippines instead of the typical rose-colored types blowing smoke up my ass.

But would you have listened?  I have yet to find someone that listens, hears, understands, and does anything different from what he would have done anyway.  So if people are gonna do it anyway, and they are just looking for people to say what they want to hear, why not tell them what they want to hear?

• Like 4

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Some of these creatures have been known to eat men alive in the Philippines. 

bargirls.jpg

And their just the lady boys :hystery:.....I joke before anybody takes it to seriously.

Fortunefavorsthebold, As this is your first posting suggest you browse the forum lots of information to be read.

• Like 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

But would you have listened?  I have yet to find someone that listens, hears, understands, and does anything different from what he would have done anyway.  So if people are gonna do it anyway, and they are just looking for people to say what they want to hear, why not tell them what they want to hear?

:89: Errr OK Dave

• Like 1

FortuneFavorsTheBold
Posted
Posted

Very good points Larry45!

FortuneFavorsTheBold
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Larry45 said:

Sorry guys, but I just cannot understand how anyone would think it's safer in the Philippines than the US.   Nearly every expat I know here has been a victim of crime at some point, whereas very few of my friends in the US are ever affected.  That's anecdotal, but the crime rate comparison speaks for itself, even if you don't consider the gross under reporting here in the Phils.  Seems like many expats here are having the times of their lives, drinking the koolaid, floating on a cloud, and living in a delusional world.  Kind of like Disneyland for adults.....a whole lot of fun, but rarely based in reality.  :smile:

PS: school shooting are horrible, but they are not statistically significant.  A kid has a much greater chance being struck by lightning.

http://www.psychlawjournal.com/2012/12/school-shootings-what-are-odds.html          

10 hours ago, Larry45 said:

One of the funniest posts I ever read in any forum was an expat telling the story a few years ago about how one of his neighbors got shot and bled out on his front lawn.  He related several other violent incidences and extortions in his neighborhood, yet concluded the post by stating "but that can happen anywhere...I've never felt safer than I do here."  No that doesn't happen anywhere, and that's the nonsensical delusion to which I'm referring.   Sweet, young, nubile Filipinas tend to have that effect on us, you know.   I like to think I'm a voice of reason, and six years ago I wish I had someone telling me the reality of the Philippines instead of the typical rose-colored types blowing smoke up my ass. (not directed at anyone here, that was long ago)   :smile:      

Yes, the Department of Tourism postcard type comments are not helpful to newbies in a very dangerous Country.

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic