London terror attack

mogo51
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

A lot of people are saying to deport terrorists and their families.The do gooders say but their life might be in danger.Tell that to the victims I say.If you cannot behave in a civilized way in society then you have to go back where you came from along with your family.They should also close the borders.If they were born in the country but their parents were not they should still be sent back.

With you there Kev.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

In Philippines, we call ourselves expats instead of immigrants.  I have heard some say that the difference is immigrants want to get all the benefits of the system and take the good jobs, while expats come here with their own money and don't use the social welfare system.

I see that some of us expats are married here and working in Philippines.  I see some of us complaining about not being able to get PhilHealth for local prices or not being able to get a senior's card or not being able to own cheap housing in our own name so it seems to me that expats are not all that different from immigrants.

So now I have your attention, if a few expats decided to terrorize some locals, how long would it take before we were booted out of this country.  Not too long, I expect. Duterte would start racial profiling in a heartbeat.  If a few white protestant terrorists were on the loose in Manila he would kick out all white foreigners, or such is my belief.

I don't believe in blaming all immigrants for the problems of a few but I see the appeal of racial/ethnic profiling.  If a certain group (and we know I mean Muslim immigrants) are causing 99% of the terrorist problems then profile the whole group and send them back where they came from because they are obviously square pegs trying to fit in round holes.

(I don't seriously believe this would work any better than trying to send blacks back to Africa during periods of racial tension in the US in the 1900s but it makes me feel better to spout off) :56da64aa52228_23_9_101:

• Like 4

jpbago
Posted
Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I see the appeal of racial/ethnic profiling

I was at the airport the other day sitting near the security. If a Filipino came thru, they were just waved on but when a foreigner, whether it be young pretty Chinese girls or middle age Muslims, or Americans, they were asked to remove their shoes, take their belts off, let their hair down, and were hand frisked.

Edited by jpbago
  • Like 3

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I don't believe in blaming all immigrants for the problems of a few but I see the appeal of racial/ethnic profiling.  If a certain group (and we know I mean Muslim immigrants) are causing 99% of the terrorist problems then profile the whole group and send them back where they came from because they are obviously square pegs trying to fit in round holes.

It is certainly silly to blame all immigrants for the problems of a few.

I think it is also certainly reasonable that when there is a group of people causing problems a profile should be done to find the lowest common denominator. Using that information, those fitting the profile should be subject to a higher level of security scrutiny (background check etc) to determine a risk level. 

All those matching the general profile should not be denied because of 1 out of 100, but if 10 or 15 are denied to lower the risk by 90% isn't that a fair tradeoff? The government would be doing its job protecting its citizens and 85-90 of 100 are gaining entry. Don't know actual numbers, just made these up to demonstrate the theory. 

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, AlwaysRt said:

All those matching the general profile should not be denied

Being denied entry is one thing, but kicking out the immigrants already there is the hard part.  You can close the barn door tight as you want but if the horse is already out . . . . . . 

• Like 3

mogo51
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, jpbago said:

I was at the airport the other day sitting near the security. If a Filipino came thru, they were just waved on but when a foreigner, whether it be young pretty Chinese girls or middle age Muslims, or Americans, they were asked to remove their shoes, take their belts off, let their hair down, and were hand frisked.

Oh Good, I hope I get a good sort!!!

• Like 2

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, AlwaysRt said:

t is certainly silly to blame all immigrants for the problems of a few.

Yes, I agree. 

History shows that in US history many immigrants were allowed entry to the US.  Among them were, Italians, Jews and ( some nationality )  who started up organised crime. I've heard from old timers say that there were signs on lawns that read, "Dogs and Italians keep off the grass" Some would substitute ( some nationality ) for Italians. Jews have been hated in America for a long time but I still do not know why.  There are Chinese crime syndicates, as well a Mexican. More recently, Russian Mafia and some from eastern Europe. 

That was then and this is now. The question is, should the USA continue to welcome foreign immigrants with open arms without checking their background. If no background available, no entry to USA. 

I can trace my roots back a long way. We are proud of our history and the contribution our ancestors.

Edited by Gratefuled
correction
  • Like 3

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Being denied entry is one thing, but kicking out the immigrants already there is the hard part.  You can close the barn door tight as you want but if the horse is already out . . . . . . 

Yup I agree, I compared it to gangrene in a post somewhere this week. Don't let them in, even if you turn away a few you didn't have to = thoroughly wash an infected wound even if you 'clean out' some healthy cells too and you will be fine. Don't turn them away, let them in and figure it out later = cleaning will no longer help, it is either lose a limb or lose the patient. 

No idea how to 'lose a limb' as applied to an immigration issue. That solution does not have a direct comparison.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, jpbago said:

If a Filipino came thru, they were just waved on

:89: Now you see, That is where it starts. I would suspect many if not all the insurgents in the Mindanao issue are Home grown, Now to me, if I was the head of Security they would be the ones to watch, Not as if a Foreigner is going to carry problem Items in after all the preceding Checks EH? Now if they are on the Way out, are they escaping and let through? Whatever, I think it is BAD bad I say, to Forego Security at a time like this, Anywhere in the World.  But what do I know?:571c66d400c8c_1(103): I am just a Retired (Or is that just Tired) Guy that can see many Leaks in Security in just about every Story that comes to light recently :huh: Negative, Damn No! very Positive :thumbsup:Scratching Head.jpg

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, AlwaysRt said:

It is certainly silly to blame all immigrants for the problems of a few.

I think that Trump's intent by making it difficult for Muslims of the 7 countries to enter the USA, he is asking them to take care of the bad ones in those countries yourself first, then you will be allowed to carry on lap tops and travel freely like before. That is what he was asking in Saudi last month.