Right to bear arms.

mogo51
Posted
Posted
On 10/3/2017 at 3:46 PM, scott h said:

Preface: I have never owned a gun in my life, had lots issued to me, but having said that.

Steve its an American thing. To really understand it you need to get to know folks that are not from the big  cities, places like Wyoming, or Texas, or west Virginia. It is as part of their culture as saying yes by raising the eyebrows is to a Filipino. 

Not if its kept polite and civil Dave

Not in my mind, when 59 people are killed by a lunatic firing into crowds of people trying to enjoy a concert, then it is very relevant.

As Scott says it is a culture in US, but that culture needs to change/  I wonder what is the figure for killings for it to become unacceptable and above the point of 'right to bear arms'?

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, MikeB said:

This is a video from the company that makes the "butt stock", the device Paddock used to murder 58. It's a (currently) legal device that converts a legal semi-automatic into an illegal weapon. I think the patriotic references, imagery, and music is a little over the top, jmo. 

“Jefferson and Paine, Adams, Madison, Mason and Franklin. I think they're looking down right now at us. I think they understand what we're trying to do.”

Uh yea, make as much money as we can before the spineless politicians finally capitulate and close the loophole on this "finely crafted device" that never should have been allowed in the first place. Senate bill has been introduced to ban it. I imagine they're doing a brisk business.

I would agree that these should not be allowed, but I have read that there are many ways to modify the semi-automatics to almost fully automatic, so it may not solve that issue.  Apparently the law that allows these was enacted during the Obama years.  Why, I don't know.  

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

Ron, it's not in our culture to massacre large number of concert goers. I know that's not how you intended what you said but please lets all speak with care and respect.

FWIW Ron I think you and I feel exactly the same.:mellow:

Edited by Old55
  • Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

In this news article it say the shooter bought 30 guns in October 2016.

I saw the ATF comment that federal law does not require this kind of flagging for long guns but there is something for hand guns!  I agree that if an individual is buying a lot of guns it should flag up some extra scrutiny for mental illness, etc.

Jake
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Reboot said:

"City codes" over personal ammo storage? Now I know you're from some place like what I mentioned earlier.

Personal ammo?  I believe that's enough for at least a company of grunts (3-6 platoons).  My question about having a fire suppression system or city code was rhetorical in nature (sarcasm).  I'm sure he would be arrested for having that amount due to the potential danger to the community of having his whole inventory "cook off" during a garage fire.  

Personal ammo.JPG

His only concern that he maintains the image of the neighborhood Rambo because he's got the latest and greatest shoot 'em, bang-bang toys and you don't want to piss him off.

I would still drop a dime on him if I was living next door.  

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
Just now, OnMyWay said:

I saw the ATF comment that federal law does not require this kind of flagging for long guns but there is something for hand guns!  I agree that if an individual is buying a lot of guns it should flag up some extra scrutiny for mental illness, etc.

I would agree a very reasonable thing in fact this is not asking too much and could prevent a number of problems.

I know of several people who own over 20 guns. One is an avid hunter the others are collectors and shooters. Shooters as in very active in local gun clubs that hold events and competitions. The large company I work for has an active gun club.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Jake, do you know of any legal ordinances (pun) preventing large quantities of go bang toys?

Honestly I don't think there are in the area I live in. I could own and store large quality's of ammunition. It's not too unusual for the fire department to suspend home fire suppression due to ammo cooking off in a house fire. 

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Old55 said:

Jake, do you know of any legal ordinances (pun) preventing large quantities of go bang toys?

Honestly I don't think there are in the area I live in. I could own and store large quality's of ammunition. It's not too unusual for the fire department to suspend home fire suppression due to ammo cooking off in a house fire. 

No Dan, I'm not aware of any laws pertaining to storage of large quantities of ammo.  But if I did have the money to own guns and ammo of that amount, I would at least install a burglar and fire alarm for my garage.  I would also hide it from public view.  Nor will I advertise on social media.

Edited by Jake
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, MikeB said:

This is a video from the company that makes the "butt stock", the device Paddock used to murder 58. It's a (currently) legal device that converts a legal semi-automatic into an illegal weapon. I think the patriotic references, imagery, and music is a little over the top, jmo. 

“Jefferson and Paine, Adams, Madison, Mason and Franklin. I think they're looking down right now at us. I think they understand what we're trying to do.”

Uh yea, make as much money as we can before the spineless politicians finally capitulate and close the loophole on this "finely crafted device" that never should have been allowed in the first place. Senate bill has been introduced to ban it. I imagine they're doing a brisk business.

I learned to shoot and handle a rifle responsibly at 6 years old, am a former US Marine, lifetime member of the NRA, Gun Owners of America, 50 Caliber Shooter's Association, US Practical Shooting Association, and the International Practical Shooting Confederation. I have owned, carried, and used many different firearms for different reasons, none of which were ever illegal. 

It is with that background/perspective that I say... I find this advertisement video stupid, consider the modification stupid, and have no idea why it was approved for sale - and totally dumbfounded that it was approved under the Obama administration.

• Like 3

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic