Right to bear arms.

bigpearl
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Reboot said:

Statistical significance is the result of a multitude of data points Dave. Mass shootings were rare in Australia even prior to the ban. What you show is a dearth of data, from which no statistically significant conclusions can be drawn, especially since there are many confounding factors involved in a phenomenon like this.

Here is homicide data from the UK:

Screen+Shot+2012-12-22+at++Saturday,+Dec

Where are your facts for Australia? Get on the same page.

Cheers, Steve.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
30 minutes ago, bigpearl said:

It happened yet again and smacks of inadequate education and archaic laws not only in the U.S. but many countries.

I'm not following you here.  Inadequate education of who?

35 minutes ago, bigpearl said:

10 injured and no deaths? bad shooter, a massacre still,

I'm not sure which post you got that stat from.  Maybe JGF's "injured" mass shooting list.  That kind of stat (10 injured, no death) leads me to suspect it is part of the terrible gang and drug violence problem that exists in some U.S. inner cities.  Small caliber weapons fired willy nilly at opposing groups, like a typical drive by shooting.  This type of shooting is the bulk of the U.S. gun problem.

Kuya M
Posted
Posted

Capture.JPG

• Like 1

bigpearl
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I'm not following you here.  Inadequate education of who?

I'm not sure which post you got that stat from.  Maybe JGF's "injured" mass shooting list.  That kind of stat (10 injured, no death) leads me to suspect it is part of the terrible gang and drug violence problem that exists in some U.S. inner cities.  Small caliber weapons fired willy nilly at opposing groups, like a typical drive by shooting.  This type of shooting is the bulk of the U.S. gun problem.

Regardless whether you follow or not read what I said and what others say, my post in this instance was rhetoric and merely my personal view on the sad state of this, our world as I see it and my personal observations of what's going down. Naught other as I have learnt to shut my mouth or be tactful within expat sites in fear of being booted for an honest tactless post.

A very interesting post with many conflicting views, all should be given credence whether right or wrong. Our opinions are for the benefit of other members and for me the members opinions and views are taken on board, disagree or agree our input is only personal observations and oft times misguided maligned information all around, all have the right to speak.

Cheers, Steve.

• Like 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Lou49 said:

An assault rifle is selective fire and can go semi auto which is one shot per trigger pull, or it can go full auto which will empty the magazine with one trigger pull. Some assault rifles will also do 3 shot bursts. Assault rifles have hi capacity mags. “Sporting rifles” are semi automatic, one shot per trigger pull.

Unfortunately that is not the definition used in 99.99% of the discussions and laws banning assault rifles. And the assault rifle you describe is already restricted from general ownership since the 1930's. Those who want to further restrict gun ownership consider an assault rifle to be one that is semi auto but looks like a military rifle. You can have two rifles side by side which have the same basic function. One is banned the other is not solely on how it looks, not how it works.

• Like 2

MikeB
Posted
Posted

This is a video from the company that makes the "butt stock", the device Paddock used to murder 58. It's a (currently) legal device that converts a legal semi-automatic into an illegal weapon. I think the patriotic references, imagery, and music is a little over the top, jmo. 

“Jefferson and Paine, Adams, Madison, Mason and Franklin. I think they're looking down right now at us. I think they understand what we're trying to do.”

Uh yea, make as much money as we can before the spineless politicians finally capitulate and close the loophole on this "finely crafted device" that never should have been allowed in the first place. Senate bill has been introduced to ban it. I imagine they're doing a brisk business.

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Opinion's are like bum hole's it seems, we all have a opinion and we all have a bum hole, it's when other people think our opinion is coming from our bum hole that upsets them and also upsets the person trying to get there point across.

There has been lots of charts and talk about what country kills the most and even it seems the difference between Europe and there killing trucks and the USA with there killing guns.

End of the day I would like to think we all agree what happened in the last few days was wrong and evil, and we must try to stick together to try to stop this happening again.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Reboot
Posted
Posted
56 minutes ago, stevewool said:

Opinion's are like bum hole's it seems, we all have a opinion and we all have a bum hole, it's when other people think our opinion is coming from our bum hole that upsets them and also upsets the person trying to get there point across.

There has been lots of charts and talk about what country kills the most and even it seems the difference between Europe and there killing trucks and the USA with there killing guns.

End of the day I would like to think we all agree what happened in the last few days was wrong and evil, and we must try to stick together to try to stop this happening again.

Steve, I think that people of good will do agree on ends, its when it comes to the means for those ends where things get "interesting."

• Like 1

Lou49
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, earthdome said:

Unfortunately that is not the definition used in 99.99% of the discussions and laws banning assault rifles. And the assault rifle you describe is already restricted from general ownership since the 1930's. Those who want to further restrict gun ownership consider an assault rifle to be one that is semi auto but looks like a military rifle. You can have two rifles side by side which have the same basic function. One is banned the other is not solely on how it looks, not how it works.

My definition is correct. People who know nothing about guns got it wrong.

• Like 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Lou49 said:
5 hours ago, earthdome said:

My definition is correct. People who know nothing about guns got it wrong.

I agree with your definition, unfortunately we are both dealing with the 99.99% who don't know the correct definition. Therefor it is best to clarify that point for those who don't know.

• Like 1

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic