Maid to order? We have a dilemma!

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Ours works like a split shift that suits all, say 5.30 to 1 then rest, then again from 4.30 to 8 sometimes, It really is all about give and take, as I say everyone is happy ( Well as happy as we can be) 

That is about what we wanted, but she rarely takes much of a break in the middle of the day.

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, nor cal mike said:

Well I think we’re putting this one to sleep.

I have enjoyed reading yours and others opinions and am not surprised by the variety of opinions. I think Jack is right in saying “to each his own.”  We are all in different parts of the country and local customs vary greatly. I am very fortunate in that I have not had the difficulties others have had. My wife and I have successfully operated our farm year around for 10 years and we employ 3 full time employees and 2 part time. They have been with us for a number of years and we feel extremely fortunate to have them. So I guess I shouldn’t even be interested in this topic as I have never had the need to use covert means to check on anyone.

thanks for sharing your opinion.

Mike

Well I for one being the recipient of this honey trap kind of thing I say no to doing it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

nor cal mike
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, intrepid said:

Okay, I've been following this from the start taking it all in.  I had no good advise to offer but this has been good reading for my future reference.  I really enjoy all the different opinions and strategies.  All that said I did want to respond the the above quote because when there are many negative examples I like to give see some balance in positive example.  At the time we have no house helper but out last one who was with us for about two years was in my opinion close to exceptional.  My wife had her opinion but no one can cook or clean as well as her,…so she says.  Now I must say I am forgetful and lazy at times with my belongings.  I am of the idea if I cannot leave some small things laying around then we don’t need someone around we cannot trust.  I did not use cameras, entrapment, bait, or anything the like.  More than once when our helper was washing clothes, she would come to me with cash in hand, (20s, 50, or even 100s) saying ,”Kuya, found this in you pockets.”  I would thank her and never give it a thought.  Sometimes she would also find some small amounts in our daughters school uniform I suppose leftover for lunches.  Now this helper was a very motivated 24 year old from a farm in the province and if her father didn’t want her home to help with other babies, she would hopefully still be with us.  For the money she would find in my pockets, I would tell my wife and noted if she would have kept it, I would have never known or would not have missed.  Call me careless I know but it happens.  Most of that money she found I put in a jar.  Before she returned to the province, and after paying her and also a small bonus, I got the jar out and explained what it was and gave it to her for being kind and honest with us.  She wasn't the best helper of all time but I would be the first to stand with her if ever her honesty was questioned.:tiphat:  There are some good honest ones around. 

Your experience is very similar to mine. A lot of good, honest,hard working folks available. 

• Like 3

Clermont
Posted
Posted

This has turned into a very interesting topic, have you all noticed, there have been more positives than negatives about helpers. Of coarse there are dishonest helpers, no different than helpers back home. As posts have said, it is not worth their trouble to be branded a thief, but if they take a snack without asking, are they a thief then. I think not, or do they have to ask if they have an out of meal something that you might have had your eye on for yourself. In my books, if a housemaid is being treated as part of the family and the ground rules have been set about stealing and what  else constitutes the rules so be it. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

Guys I'm an honest guy ,I dont steal and I live as best as I can to a moral life

I worked in many banks as a BMS enginer when you are in the vaults they always lock the money away and out of sight ,one night I was working in HSBC main London bank ,I was surrounded by conveyor belts full of packages, I had a look,they were cheques ,if it had been cash I'd have filled up as many bags as I could and done a runner

Placing temptation in people's way is not the answe imho ,we all have a point where we can steal

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

nor cal mike
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, bastonjock said:

Guys I'm an honest guy ,I dont steal and I live as best as I can to a moral life

I worked in many banks as a BMS enginer when you are in the vaults they always lock the money away and out of sight ,one night I was working in HSBC main London bank ,I was surrounded by conveyor belts full of packages, I had a look,they were cheques ,if it had been cash I'd have filled up as many bags as I could and done a runner

Placing temptation in people's way is not the answe imho ,we all have a point where we can steal

Edited by nor cal mike
On reflection I Did not like post

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I don't know if it's entrapment but I believe leaving my possessions laying around behind my closed doors is normal. I'd be tempted to start from day one and explain to the maid that if she sees anything laying around it's there for a reason. What is inside my house belongs to me not to others. If I'm hiding things away from my maid or locking them up the trust is already gone.  

I do believe however in locking things away from people intent on robbing so if I'm not using my passport etc then rightly so it'll be secured away. 

One thing that gave me a serious wake up call happened in a previous job I had. Hopefully it's not too off subject. 

I was a locksmith after I left the forces and was called to change a front door lock. I was met by a middle aged lady who as I was changing the lock was chatting away to me. She offered me a coffee then realised she was out of milk. There was a small shop 2 doors down and she said " she'll just be a minute " and went for milk. She returned and made me a coffee then asked if I'd seen her purse. I could feel a chill going down my spine. I told her I'd just been changing her lock and why was she asking? She said it was on her table before she left and now it's not there. She then said " she's not accusing me of taking it." I pointed out she must be as I was at the front door all the time and no one had gone past me. It was a two way conversation between me saying she is accusing me and her saying she's not. I asked her if she took it to the shop and she was adamant that she hadn't, she'd only taken spare change. I insisted she went to the shop and look but she was still adamant. Eventually she gave in and went to the shop. 30 seconds later she walks back, purse in hand.  I was fuming but also relieved. It taught me a big lesson in putting myself in a position of trust. 

• Like 4

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Snowy79 said:

I don't know if it's entrapment but I believe leaving my possessions laying around behind my closed doors is normal. I'd be tempted to start from day one and explain to the maid that if she sees anything laying around it's there for a reason. What is inside my house belongs to me not to others. If I'm hiding things away from my maid or locking them up the trust is already gone.  

I do believe however in locking things away from people intent on robbing so if I'm not using my passport etc then rightly so it'll be secured away. 

One thing that gave me a serious wake up call happened in a previous job I had. Hopefully it's not too off subject. 

I was a locksmith after I left the forces and was called to change a front door lock. I was met by a middle aged lady who as I was changing the lock was chatting away to me. She offered me a coffee then realised she was out of milk. There was a small shop 2 doors down and she said " she'll just be a minute " and went for milk. She returned and made me a coffee then asked if I'd seen her purse. I could feel a chill going down my spine. I told her I'd just been changing her lock and why was she asking? She said it was on her table before she left and now it's not there. She then said " she's not accusing me of taking it." I pointed out she must be as I was at the front door all the time and no one had gone past me. It was a two way conversation between me saying she is accusing me and her saying she's not. I asked her if she took it to the shop and she was adamant that she hadn't, she'd only taken spare change. I insisted she went to the shop and look but she was still adamant. Eventually she gave in and went to the shop. 30 seconds later she walks back, purse in hand.  I was fuming but also relieved. It taught me a big lesson in putting myself in a position of trust. 

I had a similar experience when working on somebody`s house.Luckily the time frame it was supposed to happen I was 10+ miles away and could prove it.But it did not stop me being arrested in the first place.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

It taught me a big lesson in putting myself in a position of trust. 

You were a locksmith!  You can go anywhere!  :hystery:  I assume that you have to have a special license to be a locksmith and the lady was a bit confused in order to think you took a purse.

RubberChicken
Posted
Posted
On 1/24/2019 at 8:45 PM, OnMyWay said:

You never know.  Anything is possible.

A relative had painters at the house so moved a small desk out of the way. Painters left the house and a numismatic coin went missing from desk. Standard triple check before police called. A detective background checked the painters. One had prior arrest for theft from a residence. Deal was he was going to violate his probation if he did not return the coin. Relative slid the desk back in its original place that same day and noticed the coin wedged in the baseboard where it slid thru an opening in the back of the desk from originally moving it.

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1