How does the Ya-ya (live in maid) system work?

Viking
Posted
Posted

Just a question out of curiosity from my side. Why do someone who dont have small children, is not working, is not handicapped or sick in any other way need a helper in their household? Dont get me wrong on this, I just think that as a retiree we have lots of time to do what we want to do, after we done what we have to do. Is it because it is so cheap to hire someone else to do it? Is it not easy to get lazy when we dont need to do any of those things?

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Viking said:

Just a question out of curiosity from my side. Why do someone who dont have small children, is not working, is not handicapped or sick in any other way need a helper in their household? Dont get me wrong on this, I just think that as a retiree we have lots of time to do what we want to do, after we done what we have to do. Is it because it is so cheap to hire someone else to do it? Is it not easy to get lazy when we dont need to do any of those things?

For some it may be a case of we can so we will i.e. if they can afford it why not?  

It's not for me, I simply don't want all the baggage that can come with helpers

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Viking said:

Many Philippine households do not have the appliances found in western homes.  Instead of a washer/dryer and paying the high cost for electricity, you hire a lavandera (washing lady).  Another reason is high unemployment among the less educated population with few marketable skills.  It's a way to provide employment.  The pay is very small, but helpers also receive food and lodging.  Medicine and medical treatment were likewise provided.  

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

boyee
Posted
Posted
  1. 3 hours ago, Viking said:

That's a good point, I am concerned about getting lazy. Well lazyer. haha.    For us it is a necessity during the times we are not at home.  Will need someone to watch over the farm and farm animals.

Viking
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

For some it may be a case of we can so we will i.e. if they can afford it why not?  

It's not for me, I simply don't want all the baggage that can come with helpers

I have nothing against those who choose to hire a helper but I think like you, I dont want the trouble it CAN bring.

Actually I dont think i would feel comfortable with a helper, but maybe I could get used to it :laugh:

18 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

Many Philippine households do not have the appliances found in western homes.  Instead of a washer/dryer and paying the high cost for electricity, you hire a lavandera (washing lady).  Another reason is high unemployment among the less educated population with few marketable skills.  It's a way to provide employment.  The pay is very small, but helpers also receive food and lodging.  Medicine and medical treatment were likewise provided.  

I think most households  have access to a washingmachine these days, atleast in the area where my gf is from. Even if they did not, washing and cleaning the house is not something that is done every day so I dont see the need for keeping a person to live with you for that reason.

If doing it for being nice and give that person a small income and feed them, thats fine :thumbsup:

15 minutes ago, boyee said:
  1. That's a good point, I am concerned about getting lazy. Well lazyer. haha.    For us it is a necessity during the times we are not at home.  Will need someone to watch over the farm and farm animals.

I understand, we all have different needs.

• Like 1

Viking
Posted
Posted

I have another question regarding this topic. Those of you who have a helper at home, have you noticed that your wife/gf have a "bad" attitude towards them?

The reason I ask is because I have been talking to many domestic helpers and Always when they had something to complain about, it was the wife/gf in the house.

There were never any problem with the man. Maybe its because the woman feel competition from them??

What is your experience from this?

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

My experience is that my partner knows what she is dealing with, pure and simple, and has explained it to me like this:-

Once you show kindness to them they think you are weak and will take advantage of the situation, and it has happened here in our household.

Next door we have a factory where we employ about 40 people, fifty fifty mix of male and female, where we make a certain type of food, we provide accommodation, meals and of course some pay for their endeavours, but it also has become a love nest, or a lonely hearts club, anyway I digress.

When a female worker cannot do the job, or does not want to do the job we give them another chance by coming over to the house and earn their keep here, no problems easy enough not like slave labour, in the deal they get their own room, with shower and loo, small television set and bar fridge, they eat either from the kitchen here, or go to the factory and have what is on offer there.

To date each one that has come here has no idea of how to clean, and I mean basic stuff, like how to sweep and mop a floor, how to wash dishes and just everyday cleaning, don't even know what a plug in the sink is for just keep that water running down the drain,while the pump outside is beating itself to death trying to keep up with the supply.

So with each one it has been a teaching process and the mind boggles with some of the shite they do, not knowing what a door stopper is for so threw it out, not knowing what dish washing liquid is for so throw the whole bottle in, I am not joking.

But they have to start somewhere so I have been tolerant with them, while my partner tells me that I am going to regret this kindness, and true enough when things started to go missing and I had been looking everywhere for that brand new pair of scissors, than Stanley knife I used only once, teaspoons that all of a sudden disappeared, the list goes on, and that is apart from the food that grew legs and walked out of the pantry.

The crunch was when we came home from doing the shopping and there was no one there to open the front gates was the straw, as I went around to the back of the house, knocked on the door and yes she came out rubbing the sleep from her eyes, that is when my partner said "I told you so".

My partner gave her a dressing down and reminded her what she was there for, no problem the maid said "wont happen again" she said.

The next morning she came to us saying that her mother was sick and that she needed to go home.

Never to be seen or heard from again.

The maids room is locked and will remain so.

The people at the factory are another woeful tale of the work ethic on the young generation here where we are, they just don't have a work ethic, they expect to just stand around, do as little as possible and get paid for it.

Oh yes, we were talking about helpers in the house weren't we I must have gotten off track.

But my partner was right when she said "When they are telling you something they are lying, and when you are nice to them they see you as being weak".

So ends this at 5:30 am. where the catholic church half a mile way has cranked up with their hymns, I wonder if Cardinell Pell and his tales of offending with little boys has had publicity here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Viking said:

I have another question regarding this topic. Those of you who have a helper at home, have you noticed that your wife/gf have a "bad" attitude towards them?

The reason I ask is because I have been talking to many domestic helpers and Always when they had something to complain about, it was the wife/gf in the house.

There were never any problem with the man. Maybe its because the woman feel competition from them??

What is your experience from this?

Who hands the salary to the helpers?  If it is you, try giving it to your wife and let her pay them.  It is important to establish the line of authority.  I would probably also inform the helpers, "My wife makes all decisions as to who gets hired and fired.  If you have a complaint, discuss it with her."  

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
28 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

"My wife makes all decisions as to who gets hired and fired.  If you have a complaint, discuss it with her."  

:89: So what if you are Single? I for one, have many Friends who Live alone and enjoy this Situation, Then I have Friends who  change the G/F every now and then so no consistency :whistling:

hk blues
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Onemore52 said:

But my partner was right when she said "When they are telling you something they are lying, and when you are nice to them they see you as being weak".

That seems such a sad perspective to have on people - maybe too much of a generalisation? 

• Like 1