I'm learning

RBM
Posted
Posted

I think the OP just requires some time to cool down and reflect on his situation.

Many here have been in similar situations and understand full well his dilemma, he will be answering his own questions for now.

Personally I admire his intentions and honesty and like many wish him well. If he is reading this as I believe he is, please come back to us as we all enjoy discussing and commenting.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

graham59
Posted
Posted

If I could just give one piece of advice to 'newcomers' to the Philippines, it would be: 

Don't try to beat them at their own game. :smile:

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Just now, graham59 said:

:thumbsup: They are just like the Spanish at times, they will do you, while trying hard not to get done themselves :rolleyes:

• Like 2

RBM
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, graham59 said:

If I could just give one piece of advice to 'newcomers' to the Philippines, it would be: 

As another poster said, the only thing that comes before money is PRIDE so so true

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, RBM said:

As another poster said, the only thing that comes before money is PRIDE so so true

Not really wishing to kick BJ while he is down Bruce, but his reactions tell me although he has only 2 visits under his belt he has learnt the pride bit, Strange for a Brit as we are normally made of tougher Moral Fibre, you know "Chin up Move on" but to me, he is definitely doing the wrong Moving on.   :wink:

• Like 1

Guy F.
Posted
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, graham59 said:

Some of the best, most succinct, distilled down to the essence advice I have ever seen.

For a good read, get Playing With Water: Passion and Solitude on a Philippine Island. One subplot involves the author's efforts to get a water project accomplished to improve life for a Filipino village. It turns out to be an... ummmm... educational experience for the author.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=playing+with+water&i=stripbooks-intl-ship&ref=nb_sb_noss

Edited by Guy F.
Plug the book.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Balisidar
Posted
Posted
On 4/4/2019 at 4:55 PM, bastonjock said:

I had one person tell me , not two , my gfs familly are not trying to overcharge me , i think her papa does not want the job .

The demand of rent was turned down by my gf , it was greedy farmers who asked for it .

Maybe im making a mistake,  but wtf ,ive had enough of the negativity that keeps getting thrown at me 

Byebye forum 

Wow.  So you've had some people give you advice based on long personal experience that you feel negative and are now leaving the forum?  I've read through this whole thread and the main theme has been "watch your back" which is always good advice for a foreigner living in another country.  Any country.

I hope you stick around Bastonjock.  I think what set you off was the remark about trusting your gf and her family.  Put down the mating plumage and think. :wink::thumbsup:

• Like 1

fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted (edited)

To be fair it didn't really need people to keep commenting his girlfriends Dad was trying to rip him off after he already said he'd get more quotes first if he ends up paying for a well.
From what he's said his girlfriends family are middle/upper class, still possible but not as likely they'd try to rip him off as the family of the 25 year old maids/barangay girls a lot of you are after:whistling:.

Not a chance my Wifes relatives would rip me off, they don't want chismis at their rotary club meetings or doctor christmas parties that they ripped off a foreigner lol.

Edited by fillipino_wannabe
  • Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I agree with you Wannabe.

Boston stated his father in law was hesitant to drill then quoted a price many here thought excessive. Filipinos don’t always say what they mean and you must sometimes listen to what they don’t say. It’s possible he was trying to steer Boston away from continuing the project. Or?

• Like 2