Pain Relief

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
On 5/31/2019 at 2:33 AM, OnMyWay said:

Unfortunately, this thread is timely for me.

I'm in Dauis on holiday with my family and my left knee has so much pain I can barely walk.  The pain had been growing for a few days but today after our travels, it suddenly became unbearable.

You may remember that I posted about hip pain and recommended hip surgery.  Due to that I bought some Celebrex before the trip, but it does not seem to immediately relieve the knee pain.  I had taken one at about 8 am Thursday as a preventative for our day out and the acute pain came at about 5 pm.  I'm going to take another now at 0230 and see if it helps by morning.

If it is not a lot better in the morning I am going to look for some crutches and ace bandages to get me through the trip.  I don't think I want to see a doc here in Bohol.

Any advice on trying another fast acting pain reliever?  

When I was in Wilcon about a year ago I bought a cane for just in case because I started noticing some hip pain on my right hip. Now I'm starting to actually use it in the mornings. I hate getting older.:sad:

• Sad 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Arizona Kid said:

When I was in Wilcon about a year ago I bought a cane for just in case because I started noticing some hip pain on my right hip. Now I'm starting to actually use it in the mornings. I hate getting older.:sad:

Sucks when you have to use one but it's better than crutches or a walking frame I guess, I don't use one all the time but I like to have one for when my hip/knee is acting up.  I guess cane is common usage in the US?  We'd generally say walking stick in aussie.

Here a cane was something that kids got whacked with before it was against the law to whack them with things (although my principal had a big fat leather belt not a cane).

Edited by GeoffH
  • Sad 1

Guy F.
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 6/1/2019 at 7:53 AM, OnMyWay said:

Several mentioned tramadol so I looked into it.  I don't think I want to try it for the first time while away from home and driving my family all over.

Is that the bright white building I spotted from the Dauis side?  I probably drove by but I didn't notice it was a hospital.

https://www.facebook.com/acebohol/

It's very prominent from the Dauis side. It's not visible from the main route between the 2 bridges on the Tag side. It's 1 (I think) street uphill. Turn at the same corner you'd take on the back way to ICM.

Let me know what you think. I was there for a consult and and in very short order was talking with a doctor. Paid the same as I paid for similar service at Cebu Doctors Hospital 10 years ago. Also, was on the Expats' Tour of it a few weeks go. It exceeded my expectations.

Edited by Guy F.
  • Like 1

Yeochief
Posted
Posted

Elevate and ice your knee for about 30 minutes and then heat for about 30 minutes.  Make sure you stretch the muscles around your joints before a long day of walking.  Build your muscles around your joints.  

• Like 2
  • I'm Confused 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Yeochief said:

Build your muscles around your joints.  

Very important to keep the muscles around the knee strong, lots of youtube videos to show you. walking up stairs is one way, if fit enough.

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

Be wary of tramadol , its addictive , the doc gave me a prescription over here and along with the tramadol and the cocodamol , i started to like it 

I stopped taking it during day time and occasionally only took it at night ,that was for my back which went into spasm after a sneeze 

KurtVD
Posted
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, bastonjock said:

Be wary of tramadol , its addictive , the doc gave me a prescription over here and along with the tramadol and the cocodamol , i started to like it 

I stopped taking it during day time and occasionally only took it at night ,that was for my back which went into spasm after a sneeze 

Yes, it can be addictive, however it’s not such a big deal to wean off of it, if you don’t need it anymore and have the determination to stop taking it. But it’s true, it’s a (synthetic) opioid, if you use it regularly and after a certain time, you will get the full blown symptoms of opioid withdrawal, and that’s no joke. 

Edited by KurtVD
  • Like 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
39 minutes ago, bastonjock said:

First time I used that when I was in the UK, the doctor instructed me be careful take only One instead of the prescribed two. Anyhow I took two, I thought I was floating round the room. Soon I took them back and told her I would rather have the pain.  

• Like 1

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, jimeve said:

First time I used that when I was in the UK, the doctor instructed me be careful take only One instead of the prescribed two. Anyhow I took two, I thought I was floating round the room. Soon I took them back and told her I would rather have the pain.  

I took two 7.5mg one day and got on my motorcycle,  when i got to the bike meeetup ,my friends took the keys off me , i was unintentionally wasted ,it was very stupid thing to do  that was the last time i took them

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Guy F.
Posted
Posted

Wow. I must be a freak of nature. Never could see the point of using painkillers or downs for recreational purposes. Never had a problem with quitting tramadol. I was taking 6 per day for more than 3 years. One day I decided the constipation wasn't worth it and cut back to 2 per day and had no withdrawal symptoms. Three months later a VA pain pharmacist introduced me to Gabapentin and Voltaren gel and I quit tramadol easily and without withdrawal.

• Like 1