Pain Relief

jimeve
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, KurtVD said:

2. Ibuprofen is used a lot for back and joint pain, but it’s very “aggressive” to your stomach , stomach bleedings occur frequently (watch for dark-black stool, other sign is a ‘growling’ stomach). If you wanna take it regularly, ask your doctor (or pharmacist) for something that protects your stomach, you’ll be taking this (second) pill whenever you take an Ibuprofen - it’s worth it, believe me. 

You should eat before taking Ibuprofen. even the ibuprofen that you rub on the skin affects the stomach.   

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

KurtVD
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, jimeve said:

You should eat before taking Ibuprofen. even the ibuprofen that you rub on the skin affects the stomach.   

Interesting, I didn’t know that you can get Ibuprofen as a skin cream. However, my endocrinologist once told me, that as a general principle, if a drug/substance has a particular side effect, one will get that side effect no matter how the substance gets into your body, so what you’re saying is certainly true. 

Re:eating before taking the pill: I think that’s also recommended in the patient information, but for some people, especially if taken regularly, that’s not enough and when in doubt, better take something to protect your stomach. 

• Like 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, jimeve said:

I only take it with meals now after finding out how bad it screws with your stomach. Figured it out after the first time I took it. (ibuprofen):tongue:

• Like 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted

Agree whole heartedly about the effects on the stomach when taking Ibuprofen, it should never be taken orally without eating first.

It will effect the lining of the stomach if abused.:tiphat:

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Unfortunately, this thread is timely for me.

I'm in Dauis on holiday with my family and my left knee has so much pain I can barely walk.  The pain had been growing for a few days but today after our travels, it suddenly became unbearable.

You may remember that I posted about hip pain and recommended hip surgery.  Due to that I bought some Celebrex before the trip, but it does not seem to immediately relieve the knee pain.  I had taken one at about 8 am Thursday as a preventative for our day out and the acute pain came at about 5 pm.  I'm going to take another now at 0230 and see if it helps by morning.

If it is not a lot better in the morning I am going to look for some crutches and ace bandages to get me through the trip.  I don't think I want to see a doc here in Bohol.

Any advice on trying another fast acting pain reliever?  

• Like 1

Lou49
Posted
Posted

I use 800mg ibuprofen + 500mg tylenol + ice affected area. I take it with a glass of milk and a few soda crackers. Recommented to me by a doctor in Canada. It works. i have prescription novomorphone for severe pain.

KurtVD
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Unfortunately, this thread is timely for me.

I'm in Dauis on holiday with my family and my left knee has so much pain I can barely walk.  The pain had been growing for a few days but today after our travels, it suddenly became unbearable.

You may remember that I posted about hip pain and recommended hip surgery.  Due to that I bought some Celebrex before the trip, but it does not seem to immediately relieve the knee pain.  I had taken one at about 8 am Thursday as a preventative for our day out and the acute pain came at about 5 pm.  I'm going to take another now at 0230 and see if it helps by morning.

If it is not a lot better in the morning I am going to look for some crutches and ace bandages to get me through the trip.  I don't think I want to see a doc here in Bohol.

Any advice on trying another fast acting pain reliever?  

Someone I knew used to get this type of pain in his knees, and he usually got some type of injection directly near the affected area. I think it was Cortisol and not just a painkiller, because after one of these shots he was much better for weeks at a time. But if you don’t wanna see a doctor and you’re limited to OTC drugs, it’s going to be difficult....

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, KurtVD said:

Someone I knew used to get this type of pain in his knees, and he usually got some type of injection directly near the affected area. I think it was Cortisol and not just a painkiller, because after one of these shots he was much better for weeks at a time. But if you don’t wanna see a doctor and you’re limited to OTC drugs, it’s going to be difficult....

Thanks Kurt.  I might go for an injection if needed.  I'm able to walk better this morning.  I bought an ace bandage and some Alaxin to try.  The celebrex only helped a bit.

This knee had torn minicus in 95 and I had arthroscopic surgery to repair it.  Might be the same issue or ligaments.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

This knee had torn minicus in 95 and I had arthroscopic surgery to repair it.  Might be the same issue or ligaments.

@Eddie1 Is the one to talk to as he has had a lot of problems over the Years with knees having now had Both replaced ( I believe) maybe when he feels ready to write again here on PEF he can give some insight to the problems. 

Jack:wink:

Morning All:photo-109:

KurtVD
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Thanks Kurt.  I might go for an injection if needed.  I'm able to walk better this morning.  I bought an ace bandage and some Alaxin to try.  The celebrex only helped a bit.

Probably a stupid suggestion, but have you tried a simple patch? Like in Thailand, you can get Tiger balm patches, they can help a little in some cases. Or is that what you mean by Ace bandage?