US President Donald Trum-p has become the first US president to set foot on North Korean soil

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

Our NATO pals came to our aid when 9-11 occurred.  I still remember German Air Force planes patroling the skies over New York City and Washington, DC. 

I was working across the street from the Pentagon when it was hit by a terrorist atttack (a hikacked airplane that was used as a missle), and my building shook up and down, filled up with black smoke and metal shards, and was immediately evacuated.

It was a great feeling to have NATO aiplanes (from Germany) appear in the skies over Washington, DC to lend a helping hand immediately after a savage attack of Americans on American soil.

Whether you agree with NATO or not, I felt a lot better to have America belong to NATO during those trying times.

• Like 4

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, jimeve said:

That was last year, President President stated that was a meaningless statement. Putin would just love US to leave NATO. Won't happen.

Are you sure?  Can you really be sure about anything during these unpredictable times on this planet?

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

Are you sure?  Can you really be sure about anything during these unpredictable times on this planet?

From Dave's link... This story was meaningless when it was written six months ago and even more so now," she said. "The President has made clear our Allies must fulfill their commitments and share the burden for a strong defense."

• Hmm thinking 1

robert k
Posted
Posted
45 minutes ago, jimeve said:

That was last year, President  stated that was a meaningless statement. Putin would just love US to leave NATO. Won't happen.

I wish we would for about a day. After the heart attacks, recalls and firings, maybe we could work something out with their successors.

• Haha 4

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Great link Dave!  Jim Acosta and CNN!  That is about as unfair and unbalanced a team that you could find!  :hystery:  Actually I didn't find anything really wrong with the facts stated in this article but it is what is emphasized and headlined.

I could take the same facts and write a pro-President article about how he threatens to leave NATO if the member countries involved don't step up and spend the agreed 2% on defense.  That agreement was back in Obama days.  If the shit ever hits the fan again, member countries need to have adequate defense/offense in place.  It takes years to build that back up and most members are dragging their feet.

• Like 4

Ram1957
Posted
Posted

Nato hasn't been living up to the treaty they signed when becoming a part of Nato. Some pay more , some pay less. The US pays the most.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/6745786/nato-contributions-country-who-pay-most-least-2-percent-gdp-target-President/

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, GeoffH said:

the USA have bilateral defense treaties with Japan, the Philippines and possibly other countries that I'm not aware of.

Yeah that's what I am afraid of.  I like to think that NATO is a stronger bond.  For example, if China built a military island in waters belonging to a NATO country I like to think all of NATO, including the US of A would kick their asses out of their quite quickly.  A bilateral defense treaty is much more wishy washy, in my view.

Having seen NAFTA thrown out the window and renegotiated it would not surprise me in the slightest to see America pull out of NATO in an attempt to negotiate a better deal.  Coming from a Union vs Management background I tend to think negotiation should take place before throwing out the old contract.

But lets hope its all just mor Twit Tweets and NAFTA is left alone.  Note that this is not a criticism of the actions of the current POTUS.  It is a criticism of his unfiltered comments.  He seems to say whatever pops into his head, regardless of the consequences.  Thus we really have no clue if he would seriously pull out of NATO or was just "in a mood" the times he said it.

• Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Ram1957 said:

Nato hasn't been living up to the treaty they signed when becoming a part of Nato.

I can see your point and that needs to be dealt with.  I have no solution to offer,  just a hope that pulling out of NATO is not the solution you are looking for.

• Like 1

Ram1957
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I can see your point and that needs to be dealt with.  I have no solution to offer,  just a hope that pulling out of NATO is not the solution you are looking for.

The solution is living up to the commitments that these Countries made when they joined NATO. Other Countries should not have to take up the slack just because someone doesn't want to pay their share. I really don't care what they do, but the American Taxpayers do have a voice in this situation. 

• Like 4

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted (edited)

Maybe this is a bit off-topic, but I've always noticed a German military base at Dulles International Airport (near Washington, DC) when I worked and lived nearby.  

germans.JPG

German Armed Forces Command plays a critical role I. Joint training with Canada and US for Nation’s safety. What is even more incredible is how the members of the command - both military and civilian- as well as spouses and children, have embraced the community in which they are stationed and making a difference and giving back.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/German-Armed-Forces-Command/146268372082773

Edited by Mark Berkowitz
added some
  • Like 1