US President Donald Trum-p has become the first US president to set foot on North Korean soil

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
Just now, Jack Peterson said:

Like the Man, I try :hystery:

Salamat ka ayo!

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

So why put a thinking icon on, seems you think too much at times my friend

Maybe it's because I don't have so much to do lately until I get our new home built. Then I will spend lots of time growing veggies and flowers and not "thinking" about solving all the world's and mankind's problems? And also not spend so much time pecking at this keyboard!

• Haha 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Could be one sided though.

Not a comforting thought, Dave, but interesting.

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

I'm neither a rocket scientist nor a physicist, but it may have already been done (without the outside world seeing it being done) since 2017? 

Launching something into low orbit and having a missile with a reasonable CPE, Circular Probability of Error are two different things. As powerful as nukes are, they still have to be reasonably close to the target.

• Thanks 2

robert k
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

But why would NK have any trust in making a 'status quo' agreement with the US?  Afterall, the POTUS recently tore up an agreement with Iran, and now the Iranians are going full speed ahead again with advancing their nuke program.  The US has a bad track record with honoring these type of agreements.

Iran never held up to their end of the treaty, lied about what they had to begin with.

• Hmm thinking 2

robert k
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

I agree, but what we’re not talking about is the cultural differences between North Korea and the United States.

For example, instead of the US leader saying “you’re fired,” the NK Chairman executes you. 

How can we ever possibly get on the same page with these people? Is it really possible?

We don't have to be on the same page with them. We aren't on the same page with Saudi Arabia. It is what it is.

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted
44 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Bit of pot stirring here? If the US did leave Nato, you automatically assume there wouldn't be a mutual defense treaty between the US, Britain and the Commonwealth nations?

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, robert k said:

If the US did leave Nato, you automatically assume there wouldn't be a mutual defense treaty between the US, Britain and the Commonwealth nations?

But . . . that is what NATO is.  So yes, I assume that leaving NATO is leaving the mutual defense treaty.

In fairness, the USA does not need the "mutual" defense treaty.  They can protect their own asses and it would be logical that the US would protect their allies in certain situations, but there is a nice secure feeling when we all have a say in it, as in NATO.

• Like 3

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

But . . . that is what NATO is.  So yes, I assume that leaving NATO is leaving the mutual defense treaty.

There are other Commonwealth nations and other 'mutual defense treaties' that the USA is a signatory to, for example the ANZUS treaty so whilst the USA leaving NATO would stop mutual defense obligations between NATO members and the USA it wouldn't stop other treaties effecting Commonwealth nations.

And the USA have bilateral defense treaties with Japan, the Philippines and possibly other countries that I'm not aware of.

I would think that a bilateral treaty between Great Britain and the USA (or possibly an extended treaty among the 5 eyes nations?) would be something that would be worked on as a matter of urgency in that situation.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 3
  • Hmm thinking 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

In fairness, the USA does not need the "mutual" defense treaty.  They can protect their own asses and it would be logical that the US would protect their allies in certain situations, but there is a nice secure feeling when we all have a say in it, as in NATO.

That was last year, President  stated that was a meaningless statement. Putin would just love US to leave NATO. Won't happen.

Edited by jimeve
  • Like 1