US President Donald Trum-p has become the first US president to set foot on North Korean soil

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, scott h said:

one that essentially enshrines the status quo

2 hours ago, scott h said:

Perfect example, the US would be fine with that, as long as they don't develop or at least refine their long range strategic missile systems

But why would NK have any trust in making a 'status quo' agreement with the US?  Afterall, the POTUS recently tore up an agreement with Iran, and now the Iranians are going full speed ahead again with advancing their nuke program.  The US has a bad track record with honoring these type of agreements.

jimeve
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

It's a sad sad world where everyone is just out for themeselves.  What ever happened to the alliances that were formed after WWII? 

Our NATO pals came to our aid when 9-11 occurred.  I still remember German Air Force planes patroling the skies over New York City and Washington, DC. 

I guess that if things continue in this 'my country first' direction, we (the USA) might be left out in the cold if we ever need allies again.  Just my 2 piso opinon.

Britain will never leave USA on it's own. Our biggest  Allies. 

• Like 3
  • Love it 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

The US has a bad track record with honoring these type of agreements.

As the old saying goes "you pays your money and take your chances" 

Kim will have to decide what is best for HIM and his ruling ELITE, give up the long range weapons for sanction relief, or keep going it alone.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, scott h said:

Kim will have to decide what is best for HIM and his ruling ELITE, give up the long range weapons for sanction relief, or keep going it alone.

I agree with your thinking, but I wonder if Kim would actually do the logical thing as we see it? So far, Western logic does not appear to be part of his thinking? There is the mix of China and Russia there too...

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Western logic does not appear to be part of his thinking?

But more than in the past,,,,,,,,,,that is what President is banking on IMHO.

If we look back, His Grandpa who founded the dynasty was a guerrilla fighter against the Japanese in WW2 (and boy did the Japanese just plain rape the country) he got support from the Russians, but the country was just bone poor. His Dad was born and raised in the tail end of ww2 and was a youngster during the Korean war which devastated the north.

Now the kid in charge  got some education in Switzerland and sinse he has taken over has really started to provide some western amenities to the country (again primarily to the elite) amusement parks, skating rinks, a ski resort.

There are some really good utube documentaries but don't watch the one by news organizations, they have an agenda. The best one I saw was by a group of New Zealand motorcycle riders who rode and videoed their trip from china through NK to SK. These trips are tightly controlled as can be expected but give an idea of how things are...…………..for the elite anyway.

• Hmm thinking 1

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, scott h said:

His Grandpa who founded the dynasty was a guerrilla fighter against the Japanese in WW2

Reminds me of how Ho Chi Minh was an American allie during the Japanese invasion of Vietnam.  I could say more, but enough said.

• Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

Ho Chi Minh was an American allie

So was Stalin, and Mao Tse Tung, heck we even gave guns to the guy who ended up running Yugoslavia for years, but that was a different less compilated time

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, scott h said:

So was Stalin, and Mao Tse Tung, heck we even gave guns to the guy who ended up running Yugoslavia for years, but that was a different less compilated time

Need I mention Osama Bin Laden here too?

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, scott h said:

But more than in the past,,,,,,,,,,that is what President is banking on IMHO.

You make good and valid points, Scott.

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

You make good and valid points, Scott.

I agree, but what we’re not talking about is the cultural differences between North Korea and the United States.

For example, instead of the US leader saying “you’re fired,” the NK Chairman executes you. 

How can we ever possibly get on the same page with these people? Is it really possible?

• Hmm thinking 1