Post up your favorite cars and car stories!

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, LUFCinMakati said:

My post stated production and assembly,

:whatever: My post was just a question

Edited by Jack Peterson
Sunday

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
On 7/26/2019 at 9:35 PM, graham59 said:

INTERESTING.... and a challenge.  :89:   Pic would be nice.  :smile:

Wish I had one. The meats on the back were always losing air cuz I had to buy used tires. I was in the USN and couldn't afford new ones. The gas cap in the back always leaked when I hit the peddle hard cuz it wasn't the right cap. Had to open the trunk with a long screw driver cuz the lock was missing. Added a quart of oil once in awhile and everything was good. Best car I ever owned regardless of her faults!:smile:

• Like 2

graham59
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Arizona Kid said:

Wish I had one. The meats on the back were always losing air cuz I had to buy used tires. I was in the USN and couldn't afford new ones. The gas cap in the back always leaked when I hit the peddle hard cuz it wasn't the right cap. Had to open the trunk with a long screw driver cuz the lock was missing. Added a quart of oil once in awhile and everything was good. Best car I ever owned regardless of her faults!:smile:

Mainly getting the paint right would be the challenge. Two tone . Actually, I forgot to look to see if I actually have one to work with anyway. doh ! 

I know I definitely have Chevelles.

I'll have a look. :thumbsup: 

How close would this be  ? (I can fit most brands and widths of wheels and tyres... and customise colours ). 

a6f29aae1676acaab1fb5acf5240a999--frost-limes.jpg

Edited by graham59
  • Like 1
  • Love it 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I thought I must have some pics of a few other cars I owned, but after skimming through a box of photos, I only found two pictures, of my '78 VW Scirocco.  Taken in '82, they are the oldest pictures I have that I took.  I guess I did not really start taking many film photos until the late 80's and most are travel photos.  Anybody remember film?  Rolls of 24 or 36, and Costco was the best place to get them developed in the 90's.

I owned the '78 VW Scirocco for 10 years.  It was my first brand new car and it was $7400 if my memory is working.  My parents loaned me half and I paid them back over a long time, but paid every cent.  It was a fun car to drive and had an almost full length sun roof made of soft vinyl.  Which was not good for security!

I was such a cool guy back then!  And skinny too!  The girl is a Japanese American girl I thought I was going to marry, but you know how those things work out sometimes!  I guess she won't mind me posting her picture here as I have not seen her for 30+ years!

S 1.jpg  Scan_20190728 (2).jpg

• Like 4
  • Love it 1

LUFCinMakati
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

I thought I must have some pics of a few other cars I owned, but after skimming through a box of photos, I only found two pictures, of my '78 VW Scirocco.  Taken in '82, they are the oldest pictures I have that I took.  I guess I did not really start taking many film photos until the late 80's and most are travel photos.  Anybody remember film?  Rolls of 24 or 36, and Costco was the best place to get them developed in the 90's.

I owned the '78 VW Scirocco for 10 years.  It was my first brand new car and it was $7400 if my memory is working.  My parents loaned me half and I paid them back over a long time, but paid every cent.  It was a fun car to drive and had an almost full length sun roof made of soft vinyl.  Which was not good for security!

I was such a cool guy back then!  And skinny too!  The girl is a Japanese American girl I thought I was going to marry, but you know how those things work out sometimes!  I guess she won't mind me posting her picture here as I have not seen her for 30+ years!

S 1.jpg  Scan_20190728 (2).jpg

Driven a few MK1 scirocco’s and they were great to drive and for me a better drive and better looking than the Mk2. 

I remember taking one in p/x in around 84 from rather attractive local salon owner, she bought a new MK2 from us. The valet guys were going through the car the next day and found a silver box, which being the honest guys there were brought it straight to me. I was in 2 minds just to call the lady or open the box, I chose the latter and found a rather large dildo!

I never made the call, perhaps I should of.......

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Came across these memories yesterday.

In my former life, I worked for an air express company, and we used to charter aircraft from Kalitta Int'l, owned by Connie Kalitta, the drag racer.  So, when his racing team was in town, he would invite some of our employees out on race day.  These pictures below were probably around 1990 or so.  Connie was no longer driving and his son Scott was driving that day.  On that particular day, they didn't do to well, but at that time, they held the world record top speed for the top fuel dragster category, 307 mph.  Scott was later killed in a crash.

kalitta 1.jpg  kalitta 2.jpg

This reminds me of another memory.  My buddy and I flew over to Hawaii on Kalitta's 747-200 cargo plane.  There were 4 business sized seats on the top deck behind the cabin and it was the best flight of my life.  We could sit in the cabin if we wanted, so we did that for takeoff and landing.  We landed in Honolulu at around 5:30 am and the sunrise was spectacular from the cabin, and I will never forget it!

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
59 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

On that particular day, they didn't do to well, but at that time, they held the world record top speed for the top fuel dragster category, 307 mph. 

I loved going to Union Grove, Wisconsin to watch the drag racers. The incredible sound - that shook your very soul - and smell of nitro-fuel and smoky burn-outs - all of it was a real thrill. Funny cars and rails were soooo awesome!

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, graham59 said:

Mainly getting the paint right would be the challenge. Two tone . Actually, I forgot to look to see if I actually have one to work with anyway. doh ! 

I know I definitely have Chevelles.

I'll have a look. :thumbsup: 

How close would this be  ? (I can fit most brands and widths of wheels and tyres... and customise colours ). 

a6f29aae1676acaab1fb5acf5240a999--frost-limes.jpg

Reverse the colors, darker green on the body. :SugarwareZ-034:Found this pic on images. much closer to what I had but the one in this pic looks nicer than the one I had.

003.jpg

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

I loved going to Union Grove, Wisconsin to watch the drag racers. The incredible sound - that shook your very soul - and smell of nitro-fuel and smoky burn-outs - all of it was a real thrill. Funny cars and rails were soooo awesome!

Those pictures are the one and only time I went to the drag races, and you are right, the sound was incredible, like thunder and an earthquake!  Luckily we worked at the airport and a few colleagues had brought some handfuls of the small foam earplugs.  I always wanted to go again but never got around to it.  I think those pictures were in Pomona, California.

• Love it 1