Dental Implants

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Heeb said:

Do you have any dentist recommendations around SBMA? My wife has a problem tooth and it needs to be addressed before it gets really bad. From my experience a tooth can go from mild pain to extreme agony overnight and usually happens late Friday before a long weekend. 

Yes, you can try Dr. Kim who works with a German dentist Gert most of the time.  I don't know if Gert will be around this week as he and 4 other dentists will be on a dental mission this week, giving free dental care to poor people and even the jails.  My family all goes there now.  They are not the cheapest but she does not take walk-ins, only referrals.  You will find other good dentists are hard to get appointments with.  Gert is a German and Philippine certified semi-retired oral surgeon with 40 years experience in implants.  Dr. Kim's number is 0920 967 4985.  Tell her Don referred you.

Dr. Ong at Smile Concepts is very good but it is so hard to get an appointment!

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
45 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Glad to hear that you got the first step completed. You didn't mention so I am guessing he didn't inject any bone into the socket for bone graft to built up thickness?

Be aware that the surgeon may have left one or more tiny bits of tooth or bone at the extraction site. It happened to me - not that big a deal, but I experienced some soreness there and, after several days or a few weeks (I forget now), I felt a couple bits of something come out of the socket area. After that, all was fine.

I don't think I need any grafts.  Bone seems to be fine.

Funny you mentioned the bone/tooth at the extraction site.  I think he got all the little bits out.  He was talking about something after the surgery that I did not really follow.  He said that he left the septum and that it was a good thing that he was able to save it and not damage it a lot.  Apparently it becomes useful for the implant.

So late last night I got my first good look at the hole, and there is a small "toothy" looking ridge there.  I texted the dentist this morning and she said that is the septum.  It is the bone that was in between the roots of the tooth.

• Like 1

Heeb
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Yes, you can try Dr. Kim who works with a German dentist Gert most of the time.  I don't know if Gert will be around this week as he and 4 other dentists will be on a dental mission this week, giving free dental care to poor people and even the jails.  My family all goes there now.  They are not the cheapest but she does not take walk-ins, only referrals.  You will find other good dentists are hard to get appointments with.  Gert is a German and Philippine certified semi-retired oral surgeon with 40 years experience in implants.  Dr. Kim's number is 0920 967 4985.  Tell her Don referred you.

Dr. Ong at Smile Concepts is very good but it is so hard to get an appointment!

Thank you very much.

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted

This morning I went for my 5th adjustment on my partial denture. She just can't seem to get it right. Mon. I will go back and give it another try. Pain on the gums.:sad:

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

I would love to have a dental implant , I might just go and talk to a dentist in davao , I could not afford it here in the UK,  but I need a full set of implants 

• Like 1

Hobbit112
Posted
Posted (edited)

I am one of the few people that had an implant fail.  I got an infection in the bone around the post and had to have it drilled out and bone graft inserted to fill the hole.  Must have been a big hole as the oral surgeon had to use 2 batches of bone graft material to fill it.  All good now but I don't think I will give it another try.  Removal was free as the oral surgeon was the one who installed it.  It failed after about 5 years.  Removed about 2 years ago.  

Edited by Hobbit112
  • Sad 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, bastonjock said:

I would love to have a dental implant , I might just go and talk to a dentist in davao , I could not afford it here in the UK,  but I need a full set of implants 

If you are interested, let me know and I can tell you who NOT to go to and one I recommend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted

For those of you near Iloilo, I can highly recommend Metro Dental at Festive Walk.  Doc Judy, A++ work.  

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

My German dentist with the mayor of Olongapo.  Yes, the mayor of Olongapo is a kid.  The real mayor is probably his father, the last mayor.

• 8 months later...
OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 11/9/2019 at 12:09 AM, OnMyWay said:

I finally had my tooth extracted today, and like yours, it was a tough one!  Both dentists told me beforehand that because it was a root canal tooth it was probably going to crack.  And crack it did!  Here are the big chunks!  Gross!

20191108_235426 a.jpg

If you recall, I was ready to have it extracted by the Filipina dentist when the aspirin issue came up.  After that, I got the flu and a cough that would not go away for a month.  The German dentist got back a few weeks ago, so he was the one who extracted it today.  I'm so glad it worked out that way because it was a very difficult extraction.  One hour to get it all out, with him drilling and using all kinds of tools, while she acted as assistant.  Then he put some sutures in and she cauterized it with a laser.  I suspect it would have more difficult for just her and her assistant.

I knew that I had some kind of infection at the bottom of the front root and there had been a spot on my x-rays for years.  He said that it was actually like a small cyst and he spent some time cleaning out the whole area.  It all looks good now for an implant next year.

Finally, a follow-up.  I had forgotten about this topic amid all the COVID stuff.

Nov. '19 I had the tooth extracted, and I was prepared to wait a 3-4 months. to start the implant process.  Then the Covid came and we went into lockdowns.

The dentist finally reopened in April.  The German dentist has been stuck in Germany due to Covid..  She opened her office after complying with all the COVID requirements.  We decided she would do my implant.

So on April 27th I got the drilling down and implant post installed.  When I arrived, she introduced me to another dentist who was visiting from Manila, and she said would assist.  I don't recall his name, but she said he has done many implants on famous people in Manila.  I was surprised when they started, and he did all the main things to drill and install the implant.  I thought he was going to assist.  In any case, it all went well.

I went back in a few weeks and it was healing well.  After that was more wait time, but I ended up dragging it out for longer than needed.  I finally went back on July 6th to start the next steps.  After cutting open the gum around the top of the implant, she found that my bone had grown so much that it partially covered the top of the implant, so she had to grind that away.  Then she installed the "healing abutment" and sutured it all up to heal.  After ~10 days, I went back and she installed the final post that the crown would be attached to, and took molds for the new crown.  The molds were sent off to the lab in Manila.

About a week ago I went back to have the crown installed.  She said you are in luck, the lab made your crown out of Zirconia, which normally costs p7000 more.  OK, fine.  Zirconia crowns are pure Zirconia without any metal.  The normal ones are porcelain on top of metal.   

It didn't fit right at all!  The lab returns the molds and the upper they returned was not mine!  So it was obvious the lab screwed up.  She said they have made some mistakes lately because they have added additional sterilization steps into their process, due to covid.  So, she made new molds and sent them off again.

Yesterday, the crown arrived and she installed it.  So far, it seems to be fitting fine and my bite is good.  She can make small adjustments if it is too high, etc.

Unless there is a problem down the road, I am done.  I paid her the balance due of the p50,000.

• Like 3