Building a Home in Davao

Gary D
Posted
Posted

Although we own the water company our pressure goes from nothing in the morning to good enough to use the electric shower after 8.30pm. So we are putting a 350 litre Bestank in the roof and a 1hp automatic booster pump feeding the house side.

• Like 2

Viking
Posted
Posted
On 11/21/2019 at 12:41 AM, Tommy T. said:

I first asked for mirror finish when inquiring about the glass. The vendor said they would do it if I wished but recommended against it. He said we would not like it on a residence (make it look like the office block, as you said) and that, at night, people could easily see inside when lights were on. Well, like you, we will have curtains or blinds on all windows, but the appearance and cost made the difference. We will be ordering windows in the next few days - sliding doors too.

Is it not easy with most kind of windows, to see inside at night, when the lights are on??

Will it not be good to have some kind of reflection on the glass, to minimize the heat from the sun to get in?

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Viking said:

Is it not easy with most kind of windows, to see inside at night, when the lights are on??

Will it not be good to have some kind of reflection on the glass, to minimize the heat from the sun to get in?

I think both your points are valid, Viking. But I was just quoting what I was told. The window contractor could have pushed me to go ahead and buy the reflective tinted glass - at a higher price - but went against that. I will see that guy again and ask him the questions in different ways just to hear a more complete explanation of his reasoning.

I think my feeling after I looked around at various buildings and homes here goes toward just the dark tint. That is mainly for aesthetics because I don't think the reflective would look good on this home. Also, there really isn't too much reason to use reflective anyway since east facing windows are shaded by trees until maybe 10 am, then the awnings and roof and deck overhangs provide shade until mid to late afternoon. Then the west facing windows are shaded by more trees. I think it should work out.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, Viking said:

Just to illustrate about shading the windows, here's a photo I took today from a different angle I have not used before and it shows the balcony overhang. There will also be an awning above the balcony. There will be an awning that will continue from the balcony proper all the way to the corner - front left.

20191125_073847_resized.jpg

• Like 3

Viking
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Just to illustrate about shading the windows, here's a photo I took today from a different angle I have not used before and it shows the balcony overhang. There will also be an awning above the balcony. There will be an awning that will continue from the balcony proper all the way to the corner - front left.

20191125_073847_resized.jpg

I wish our house had as much free space around it as your place has :thumbsup: 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Viking said:

If the house we had built for the father had trees and more space I would call it home .:thumbsup:

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

I think the reason the mirror tint is not popular is simply the price. Most locals are on a shoestring. I've been told several times that the ppr piping I'm using is too expensive.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Viking said:

Thanks!

Sadly, Viking, this photo is a bit deceiving. There is another home - the closest neighbour - maybe only 12-15 meters away behind and to the left of this home but hidden because of this picture angle. It is a small, dumpy place that we will mostly hide with a 2.5 meter tall fence - mostly hollow block. He built his home less than 1 meter from the property line, so he is not so happy that our house is there. And he will be upset, I think, when the fence goes up and blocks any view or fresh air from almost half his house. Not my problem...

The home site is actually six lots altogether forming an L shape with the home located right at the corner of the L. The area to the right of the house on one whole lot will be a garden area for veggies and flowers. The back yard is fairly long and will be planted with different trees (right now mostly durian and they have to go). So lime (called lemon here) trees, Maybe avocado, pink lady papayas, bamboo along the fence toward the neighbour's home (to further block sight and sound of his place), some decorative small trees or bushes to cover the fence too - all these to plant after we move in. We will plant some bougainvillea and other spiky, decorative things inside the fence on the other sides to help discourage climbing miscreants. But plans are fluid and always open to change and suggestion. We are still learning but we love to plant and grow things. I think it is Graham's back yard that he showed proud photos of all his veggies? We want that! 

The entire area is platted out as a new subdivision, but the owner/developer is very slow to complete the process. Already, several of L's co-teachers own adjacent lots but it will be a while before any can afford to build anything. So it will develop but who knows how long before that happens? Meanwhile, we intend to enjoy the relative peace and openness before more homes are constructed. I think it should be a few years yet. Even after more development, it will still be a decent sanctuary with more space than affordable closer in to the city.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Gary D said:

I think the reason the mirror tint is not popular is simply the price. Most locals are on a shoestring. I've been told several times that the ppr piping I'm using is too expensive.

I'm sure you are right, Gary.

But they don't see beyond the immediate cost. So often, many Filipinos don't look beyond today. Sure, today what they buy might be bargain basement price...but wait until a few years or less down the road from age or earthquake? When it comes to replacement or repair time - like some of the horror stories shared in this forum already, it will be a huge hassle and bigger expense. Or they just revert back to buckets from an outside water tap? Their "savings" end up wasted...

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

I'm sure you are right, Gary.

But they don't see beyond the immediate cost. So often, many Filipinos don't look beyond today. Sure, today what they buy might be bargain basement price...but wait until a few years or less down the road from age or earthquake? When it comes to replacement or repair time - like some of the horror stories shared in this forum already, it will be a huge hassle and bigger expense. Or they just revert back to buckets from an outside water tap? Their "savings" end up wasted...

Too true.

• Like 1