Building a Home in Davao

intrepid
Posted
Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Yeah... now we are totally off the topic, but I started it and I don't care!!! The rock groups from the 60's and 70's that had soul, meaning and creation. Maybe I am just a miserable old fart here - all that great music, the drugs, sex and all from those days. It all seemed to have a lot of meaning to me. Today's modern tunes seem to not have the soul or heart of "our" music. Am I just an old, drunken dinosaur or just a worn out old man? or???...... but the stuff I hear here is just boom, ba boom ba boom...onward and endless for a half hour or more... Even my girl, L, complains about it... The new "music" here just does not seem to have heart, in my opinion... Maybe we will need to have someone start a new topic if this takes off? 

you guys are reminding me of this;

Edited by intrepid
  • Like 1
  • Love it 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)

Never heard this before, Intrepid. Cannot say this would be a favourite... But it's cool - thanks for sharing it.

Yeah... I was a hippy from "68-72 or so... Long hair, bell bottomed jeans, cowboy boots - I even had a fringe leather jacket that my Mom actually bought for me!!! Made me look like Tommy Crocket!!

Love, sex, rock and roll, drugs, alcohol... all the rest... did I miss anything?

Nothing to be ashamed of and nothing to have missed...That's just what life was for some of us...

Maybe I shouldn't reveal or say these things here, but I just want to say the truth here. Maybe it will be good for some to read and see? I hope I am not chastised for my behaviour at those times...?

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

I hope I am not chastised for my behaviour at those times...?

Doesn't sound too different to what we got up to when younger!

We'd hop on the motorbikes on the weekend, throw a sleeping bag and a small tent on the back and gather at a country farm or camping area in big groups and listen to locally provided rock or blues music and drink beer or whiskey and get drunk (sleeping on Friday and Saturday nights).

Then ride home sunday morning with a hang over most of the times, there was always weed around too but I preferred Jim Beam and Coke to be honest.

• Like 3

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

I look to the older music for inspiration while living here all the time. The lyrics are sometimes most appropro.  I was zipping through some Youtube music the other night, and thought..... Hey these should be up for nominations for the mantra songs of guys struggling with building here, or getting anything done, for that matter....

When a problem comes along/ you must............/ When somthings goin' wrong/ you must......../Now....... into shap. Shape it up. Get it straight. Go forward. Move ahead. Try to detect it. Its not too late to.......  good.

Now, 'Name that Tune ! '

Sorry. No prize if you can name the group or song.... unless you want my old, semi-worn out slippers before I turn them over to the dogs for Xmas toys.... but you'll have to fight them for it.:t07045:

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
40 minutes ago, manofthecoldland said:

I look to the older music for inspiration while living here all the time. The lyrics are sometimes most appropro.  I was zipping through some Youtube music the other night, and thought..... Hey these should be up for nominations for the mantra songs of guys struggling with building here, or getting anything done, for that matter....

When a problem comes along/ you must............/ When somthings goin' wrong/ you must......../Now....... into shap. Shape it up. Get it straight. Go forward. Move ahead. Try to detect it. Its not too late to.......  good.

Now, 'Name that Tune ! '

Sorry. No prize if you can name the group or song.... unless you want my old, semi-worn out slippers before I turn them over to the dogs for Xmas toys.... but you'll have to fight them for it.:t07045:

Sorry, Manofcoldland... these were all lost on me... Maybe I am too old or not old enough?...or maybe not enough lyrics tfor recognition? Remember that we (at least I) are old farts with limited memories...

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

Sorry, Manofcoldland... these were all lost on me... Maybe I am too old or not old enough?...or maybe not enough lyrics tfor recognition? Remember that we (at least I) are old farts with limited memories...

Clue:      1980    DEVO    hit

Today while with 6 other expats, with my Aussie mate getting upset that his 'brewed coffee' was instant (turned out it was and the server didn't know the difference), and my 80 yr. old non-English speaking German friend being served the wrong beer after he had been ordering it religiously for 3 years every Sunday.... and the high winds getting the guys P.O.'d  because  the staff said they'd  put down the bamboo wind blinds and then forgot about it until they saw the TWO eighty year olds get up and start fumbling with the ropes because they were out patience......

I thought of the groups other hit..... a stuttering, stilted version of "I can't get no..... satisfaction"  :dreams:

• Like 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, manofthecoldland said:

Clue:      1980    DEVO    hit

Today while with 6 other expats, with my Aussie mate getting upset that his 'brewed coffee' was instant (turned out it was and the server didn't know the difference), and my 80 yr. old non-English speaking German friend being served the wrong beer after he had been ordering it religiously for 3 years every Sunday.... and the high winds getting the guys P.O.'d  because  the staff said they'd  put down the bamboo wind blinds and then forgot about it until they saw the TWO eighty year olds get up and start fumbling with the ropes because they were out patience......

I thought of the groups other hit..... a stuttering, stilted version of "I can't get no..... satisfaction"  :dreams:

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Shame on you HK... Our dog will be quiet as a church mouse - except when there is an invasion.

Maybe I will just have to break out the Jimi Hendrix, Doors or Led Zeppelin tunes on the new stereo? (But then the neighbours might love that and demand more???).

That may or may not work.  If you want 100% success hit them with classical followed by opera.  And yes I am serious.  The first time I heard "The Flower Duet" being sung by Kiri Te Kanawa I completely blown away.  I seldom leave Moalboal but if she ever comes to Manila I will definitely make the trip.

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, manofthecoldland said:

That sounds like an unfortunate and ugly day for you and your buddies...sorry you all had that experience...

I see now why I missed that - never heard it. I only remember them performing "We are Devo" on Saturday Night Live one time forever ago and I was very drunk that night too... I remember hearing "Whip it" a few times also...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, Mike J said:

That may or may not work.  If you want 100% success hit them with classical followed by opera.  And yes I am serious.  The first time I heard "The Flower Duet" being sung by Kiri Te Kanawa I completely blown away.  I seldom leave Moalboal but if she ever comes to Manila I will definitely make the trip.

Hmmm... Great idea, Mike. However I am not a fan of opera. I have heard and appreciate some, but never heard "The Flower Duet." Love classical and had season tickets for years to Seattle Symphony... But opera just doesn't do it for me. So maybe I can try something from Mahler that trails on for over an hour and, even for me, can become a bit boring? Most Mahler just puts me to sleep - it is wonderful music but so relaxing too...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • I'm Confused 1