Building a Home in Davao

hk blues
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Viking said:

Do you plan to use only that window for letting out the heat/smoke/smell from the stove or will you also have a range hood? 

That's a very good question.

I decided not to install a hood because we have a window right at the cooker AND the exhaust would have been venting into our neighbours area - I felt this was selfish.  However, seeing how selfish most people here are I shouldn't have worried! 

• Like 2

Viking
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, hk blues said:

That's a very good question.

I decided not to install a hood because we have a window right at the cooker AND the exhaust would have been venting into our neighbours area - I felt this was selfish.  However, seeing how selfish most people here are I shouldn't have worried! 

Do you feel that the window do the job, as good as a hood would do it?

Don´t you have problems with the smoke and smell, sometimes go into the room instead of going out?

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
On 1/18/2020 at 8:17 PM, Viking said:

Do you plan to use only that window for letting out the heat/smoke/smell from the stove or will you also have a range hood? 

No... There will be an exhaust range hood venting outside above the window. The window is there so we can look out when we cook and also to get a bit of ventilation when cooking or not cooking. The entire house has windows around so we should be able to catch any cross breezes...

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
On 1/18/2020 at 4:50 PM, stevewool said:

Looking good, so how long before you will be in do you think.

Thanks for the good words!

Not sure, exactly, but late March to mid April seems to be about right. We are not rushing things and prefer to see quality rather than quantity in the build...

• Like 3

gery0x
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, hk blues said:

However, seeing how selfish most people here are I shouldn't have worried!

You can still burn your trash in front of the house for the sake of integration... :laugh:

10 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Not sure, exactly, but late March to mid April seems to be about right. We are not rushing things and prefer to see quality rather than quantity

Referring to your photos, March/April seems a little bit... sporty.

You are very right, don't rush things! If they do it wrong, insist on doing it one more time and this time right. It will pay you off 1000-fold when you're actually living there!!

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, gery0x said:

Referring to your photos, March/April seems a little bit... sporty.

You are very right, don't rush things! If they do it wrong, insist on doing it one more time and this time right. It will pay you off 1000-fold when you're actually living there!!

You may be right about the calendar... I hate to pay any more rent here than necessary these days, but that's the way it goes... We try to keep ahead of the work with buying some of the things that we are taking care of before they might contact us and say, oh...we need that this afternoon!

And we have made a few changes and requested re-work in just a few cases and there are ongoing small changes and adjustments. We know they are accustomed to building more "standard" structures, but they also listen to us and do what we ask. We think we have impressed them with our eyes for details. L thinks they may utilize perhaps 50% of our suggestions in future builds and likely forget the rest. But they are learning and always seem eager to please.

• Like 1

gery0x
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

but they also listen to us and do what we ask.

That's the least you can expect and - very sadly to say - you are very lucky to have staff who do that!

I've had workers around my house who gave me gray hair all along... I could tell stories that'd cause horrible flashbacks to me... :ohmy::laugh:

8 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

L thinks they may utilize perhaps 50% of our suggestions in future builds and likely forget the rest.

That's very likely the case - but not your problem in the end... :smile:

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, Viking said:

Do you feel that the window do the job, as good as a hood would do it?

Don´t you have problems with the smoke and smell, sometimes go into the room instead of going out?

The hood would do a better job but the window is just a few inches from the cooker so it's sufficient - just about.  As for smoke and smells - not really a big issue due to the proximity of the window.  

• Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

A new development... L was pissed because the ground floor CR door was just opposite of the ground floor guest bedroom.. She wanted nothing of it! So now the ground floor CR will be an extension rather than part of the interior of the ground floor. She somehow negotiated with the contractor to give us a really good deal to make this change at very little extra cost... I love this girl more and more every day! I would never want to be on the opposite side trying to negotiate with her!

So the ground floor will be much more open than before with the living room area being rather huge by Filipino standards. I am fine with this. The wood slab stairs will now be the centerpiece of the ground floor, rather than an adjunct. L will be able to watch me cook while she is messing with her FaceBook in the living room... no hiding in the kitchen to drink!

• Like 1
  • Love it 1
  • Haha 1