Building a Home in Davao

Gary D
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Just a caution for you, Gary...

We decided to buy from EMCO for two reasons. First, they had the best prices - much cheaper than the SM appliance store here.

The other is that they service what they sell. SM gave me handouts detailing the service centers to go to for the various machines they sell. They service nothing, so once you leave the store with appliance in hand, they are done with you.

Abensons also services what they sell, but their prices were a fair bit higher. I will still consider them when buying other appliances like refrigerator and oven/stove unit...

I really like the idea of buying things from a company that services what they sell - just so much easier since they have the history with me and the paper trail... no finger pointing...

S&R only front the product for a/their service centre who do the servicing/installation. You don't put it in your trolley and into the back of your car.

• Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Gary D said:

S&R only front the product for a/their service centre who do the servicing/installation. You don't put it in your trolley and into the back of your car.

Really? I had no idea they had a service center. Will they do after selling service too, like cleaning, maintenance and repair? If so, that does not sound bad at all...

Edited by Tommy T.

Gary D
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

Really? I had no idea they had a service center. Will they do after selling service too, like cleaning, maintenance and repair? If so, that does not sound bad at all...

The wife quizzed the rep at the time who maintained they did the whole 9 yards. Oh and appart from cheaper they offered free installation.. YMMV.

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
On 1/23/2020 at 7:45 AM, stevewool said:

10 years ago a nice plot on Bohol was great but Ems had other plans , now really a place to call our home is out of the question with the prices as they are, yes compared to other parts of the world you can get a great lot and house for your money , but I am getting older and who wants to look after such a large house and garden at that age.

Not really Steve, if one does their home work there are still nice places to live that are not out of reach.

We have been spending more time in our condo recently, its sure correct what you say, lovely to have a break from looking after a big house and gardens.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

We decided to buy from EMCO for two reasons. First, they had the best prices - much cheaper than the SM appliance store here.

The other is that they service what they sell. SM gave me handouts detailing the service centers to go to for the various machines they sell. They service nothing, so once you leave the store with appliance in hand, they are done with you.

I looked at S & R too, but they simply sell and forget. I was also a bit wary because I know they get special deals on various things they sell that are one-off... maybe it is something that has a bad rep, or items that are outdated. Perhaps I am too cautious?

[Ah... so I see I was incorrect about this comment. I will leave it here, but make this note that it is not true. Apparently S & R does have a service center...]

Abensons also services what they sell, but their prices were a fair bit higher. I will still consider them when buying other appliances like refrigerator and oven/stove unit...

I really like the idea of buying things from a company that services what they sell - just so much easier since they have the history with me and the paper trail... no finger pointing...

I used EMCOR pretty much for the reasons you stated,Tom.  All in price (none of this cheap unit price and high installation fee and by the way you must use our installers or warranty is void) and the fact they themselves do the servicing and maintenance, no sub-contracting out.  We've had ours cleaned/serviced for a few cycles now and all is well. 

• Like 3

Viking
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

We decided to buy from EMCOR for two reasons. First, they had the best prices - much cheaper than the SM appliance store here.

4 hours ago, hk blues said:

I used EMCOR pretty much for the reasons you stated,Tom.  All in price (none of this cheap unit price and high installation fee and by the way you must use our installers or warranty is void) and the fact they themselves do the servicing and maintenance, no sub-contracting out.  We've had ours cleaned/serviced for a few cycles now and all is well. 

What kind of store is this? I never heared of it before. Do they have stores all over Philippines? Sounds like a good thing to buy from someone who also takes care of installation and maintenance.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Viking said:

What kind of store is this? I never heared of it before. Do they have stores all over Philippines? Sounds like a good thing to buy from someone who also takes care of installation and maintenance.

I Googled it just now and it looks like it is in Mindanao only. I may be wrong about that, but that's what it seems to show. It started as a part of International Harvester to service the logging industry back in the 50's.

Here in Davao, it sells appliances, furniture and motorcycles, among some other things.

As I mentioned earlier, there is also a similar sort of company here called Abensons that sells appliances and stereo equipment and some other things. This company has branches in Manila and elsewhere besides here in Davao and they also told me they service what they sell. Their prices were about 5-10% higher than EMCOR.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

I Googled it just now and it looks like it is in Mindanao only. I may be wrong about that, but that's what it seems to show. It started as a part of International Harvester to service the logging industry back in the 50's.

JFI  

https://emcor.com.ph/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Thanks for the correction, Jack.:tiphat: I was at a different website than the one you referenced and all it showed was Mindanao.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Just now, Tommy T. said:

Thanks for the correction, Jack.:tiphat: I was at a different website than the one you referenced and all it showed was Mindanao.

That did not surprise me as many sometimes don't Look in the right place But the HQ is in Davao so you need to skirt around to find these things out :wink:

• Like 1