Building a Home in Davao

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
28 minutes ago, jimeve said:

And Dumaguete.

The islands would be rich in copper if they could reclaim all those abandoned lines.  :whistling:

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Yeah, Mike, that's how I see it too. I am no expert either, but I have some experience and I at least know some things to look for. When I studied engineering, one of the first things I was taught was that if something looks bad it probably is bad.

At least the wiring doesn't look like a rat's nest.... like this in Saigon:

Power Pole Saigon.jpg:Caught:

You don't need to go to Vietnam to see such things - pop along to the end of pretty much any road in many subdivisions here and you'll see similar, or worse.  

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

The staircase will be open in the middle of the home. If I can afford it, I will install some string lights under the treads for sexy nighttime mood lighting.

Lights would also make it a bit safer if you use the stairs after dark without overhead lights.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Mike J said:

Lights would also make it a bit safer if you use the stairs after dark without overhead lights.

That was actually the main idea, Mike. I wanted to be able to light the stairs without having overheard lights on.

I do have great night vision, but L does not and easily gets spooked after dark if she cannot see well...

The mood lighting is sort of an afterthought that I reckoned might look really cool if other lights are off and just those are showing safe, but not too strong illumination.

• Like 1

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
On 2/25/2020 at 10:55 AM, Tommy T. said:

We wanted to own rather than rent since rents are rising and so are property values.

Ah, I wish I would have publicized our decision to sell sooner, Tommy. We would at least have had a shot at selling to someone familiar. 

The house you're building looks very nice, though. I'm sure it will be perfect for you.

• Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
29 minutes ago, JDDavao said:

Ah, I wish I would have publicized our decision to sell sooner, Tommy. We would at least have had a shot at selling to someone familiar. 

The house you're building looks very nice, though. I'm sure it will be perfect for you.

Yeah I hear you. From what I have seen of your house, you should have no problems selling it to a discerning buyer. Please keep me informed how it goes? I am curious in case - in a very unlikely situation - I may some day need or want to sell... You never know what may happen.

I describe our home as a Philippino home with strong Western influences. It may not appeal to Filipinos due to the open spaces, but a foreigner might be attracted to it.

I am also interested to learn where you may go once you unload your nice home.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)

Yesterday we took another ride to the property...

It is coming along quite quickly. I counted about 14 guys working there - it's hard to tell because they are always moving around. They seem to me mostly rather industrious and a lot of the work now is very meticulous - I love that!

Some were working on doing a second coat of primer paint on the home walls. Some were finishing off laying hollow blocks below where the roof will be. Others were doing more plastering on inside walls upstairs. Still others were plastering the "fence" (I call it a wall) and finishing off the top of it. Yet more guys were riveting the Hardiflex panels to the aluminum framing.

At times it is a bit overwhelming because now we need to make decisions and choices for the configuration of ceiling panels and cove lighting. There are a few last-minute alterations for plumbing and electrical outlets.

Yesterday L and I went to a store downtown and bought a really nice Makita circular saw (I call all of them Skill Saws from old habit). It was NOT cheap, but is made in Japan and carries a lifetime warranty. Hmmm... The Chinese Filipino who owns the shop is 82... So I asked him for who's lifetime that warranty would be valid? He laughed and said mine - I am much younger... My God! It is very heavy. This will be used by cabinet makers for wardrobes and other cabinets we will want. Of course, I will also use it for some cabinet projects of my own after completion of the build.

We were somewhat shocked when we first arrived at the home site. About 75 meters away, all the big old mango trees had been cut down and cleared out! What???! I was hoping it did not mean several new homes were about to be constructed. It turns out that the owner of the land just removed the old mango trees - sold the wood for firewood - and will replant with new fruit orchard trees, like lancones and others. I guess we will see what really happens. We know all about rumours and "facts" here...

20200307_092731_resized.jpg

A second coat of primer has been applied to much of the outside. Note the new hollow blocks on top for the eventual roof.

20200307_092907_resized.jpg

This shows the south side fence after plastering. There will still be steel angle bars installed atop this.

20200307_093107_resized.jpg

A view into the "dirty kitchen" and laundry area. It is small, but there are only two of us.

20200307_093414_resized.jpg

Ceiling Hardiflex installation. I never saw something like that done before with a pop-rivet gun.

20200307_093436_resized.jpg

Ceiling installation continued.

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 4

RBM
Posted
Posted

Does look nice and neat Tommy, well done and by the sound of it with minimal stress. Its always a pleasure to read your posts after having also done a construction, with maximum stress.....

• Thanks 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted (edited)

Our ceiling are largely screwed in place, personally I think pop rivets do a better job because it was very difficult to pull the screw heads flush without stripping the thin steel hanger behind. I'm intrigued about your roof, ours went on before any of the second fix.

Edited by Gary D
  • Like 1