Building a Home in Davao

Gary D
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Thanks RBM. Actually, there are some stresses ongoing, but I do not share them (only a few really). We are certain the home is well constructed and we also believe that our continued attention and comments keeps everyone on their toes. But I am getting tired of it all and am really looking forward to sleeping in my easy chair, beer in hand, L next to me, movie on the TV being ignored...air/con quietly keeping us comfortable...:smile:

I don't know if our second remodelling will ever happen, I just can't take the asawa get so stressed over the smallest thing.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Gary D said:

I don't know if our second remodelling will ever happen, I just can't take the asawa get so stressed over the smallest thing.

L and I have many "argumentative discussions," about the build. We always resolve them amicably, but they can be stressful. I really don't have strong feelings about much of the design but she does. I let her have her way most of the time because she will likely live in this home much longer than me. Fortunately, she is very western in her thinking, despite never having visited any western nation. And most of her ideas seem okay and not weird or expensive...so why not? She sometimes gets irritated when I don't express a strong opinion about something, so I make a decision and we move on. It's all working out, but I do not want to build another home. Two in my lifetime are quite enough.:hungover_40_anim_gif:

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Gary D said:

I'm intrigued about your roof, ours went on before any of the second fix.

Beats the hell out of me, Gary... I have no idea about how the roof will be done... It's another one of those things where I am simply a paying observer and "assume" they know what they are doing. They have built many homes...

I would appreciate any thoughts, suggestions or inputs you might wish to offer. I know USA roofing, but am totally at sea about how things are done here...

So I will tell you after it's over what they did.:89:

Edited by Tommy T.

Gary D
Posted
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Beats the hell out of me, Gary... I have no idea about how the roof will be done... It's another one of those things where I am simply a paying observer and "assume" they know what they are doing. They have built many homes...

I would appreciate any thoughts, suggestions or inputs you might wish to offer. I know USA roofing, but am totally at sea about how things are done here...

The order ours went was pretty much what I'd expect in the UK. Footings then oversite, walls, roof, finishing, windows and ceilings, screed or tiles. Paint inside and out.

Edited by Gary D
  • Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Gary D said:

The order ours went was pretty much what I'd expect in the UK. Footings then oversite, walls, roof, finishing, windows and ceilings, screed or tiles. Paint inside and out.

Yeh same, thought reason was get roof on for shade...

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, RBM said:

Yeh same, thought reason was get roof on for shade...

Well yes but you want the structure weather tight, sun or rain, before anything more delicate goes in. Saying that you should see the scrapes in our kitchen where they put the granite counter tops in, mind you they were a four man lift. Any painting will be a mess by tbe time the roof is on, just from the welding alone.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

If it were me, i'd ask the question Tom.  Every house I've seen built here in the Philippines, and around me there are countless, has had the roof installed before any internal work to make the unit weather tight.  Just for example, you mentioned that the A/C units were already in - just imagine what a few days downpours  (we are coming into rainy season soon) would do to them. 

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, hk blues said:

If it were me, i'd ask the question Tom.  Every house I've seen built here in the Philippines, and around me there are countless, has had the roof installed before any internal work to make the unit weather tight.  Just for example, you mentioned that the A/C units were already in - just imagine what a few days downpours  (we are coming into rainy season soon) would do to them. 

You make a valid point, HK. Fortunately, all the sensitive things - such as air/con inside units - are positioned inside rooms that have concrete floors above, so they are protected from weather. That was my  main concern when they (air/con outfit ) wanted to install everything  all at once.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

You make a valid point, HK. Fortunately, all the sensitive things - such as air/con inside units - are positioned inside rooms that have concrete floors above, so they are protected from weather. That was my  main concern when they (air/con outfit ) wanted to install everything  all at once.

Understood.  It does seem unconventional not to do the roof now but, as you say they are experienced and professional builders so they should know what they are doing.  They may be factoring in the fact we are still in dry season.  

• Like 1