Building a Home in Davao

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Glad to hear your home build is getting back on track. When do you expect to move in?

• Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, earthdome said:

Glad to hear your home build is getting back on track. When do you expect to move in?

Wish you hadn't asked that question...

The short answer (guess) - I am sure it will be at least another month, probably two. Windows need to be installed, Floor tiles were not ordered before the lockdown because there was no stock or not enough. They could not order because the entire system was shut down. It will take three to four weeks - or more - just for those. The fence needs to be completed, gates to be fabricated and installed, roofing and awnings need to be finished, sewer lines installed, utility lines installed, electrical fixtures picked out and installed, appliances to be picked out and installed. Then we will need furniture because we do not like to eat or sleep on the floor.:smile:

We were supposed to meet the contractor two days ago. When she returned to Davao from outside, she was stopped at the incoming checkpoint. She had a slight fever so they let her just rest before re-checking. She also was tested, but no results immediately available. Then an hour later, they let her pass and told her to self-quarantine. Then she contacted us again that she had sore throat and high fever - not sounding good... So a few things will be delayed because of that. We have not heard back from her since then.

But it WILL happen...I am still optimistic. At least the cement work has had plenty of time to set before laying tiles!!!

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

They have constructed "vaults" for access to the rainwater/sewage drainage system to permit easy access for clean-outs. This one is located where the sewer line passes beneath the fence and then along the right-ofway.

We had our guys fabricate steel frames with handles and then fill them with cement. Something you might want to think about.

lidded.jpg

lids.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted

From what I've seen here so far, the standard is to thin cover the perimeter and have a rebar handle inserted - works and a practicality zero cost option - to Western standards no but...

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

The boys are continuing to install the steel bars along the top of the fence and have worked on completing the sewer/drainage pipe run out to the nearby wet/dry creek. It amazes me that raw sewage is - by mandate - simply "stewed" in the two-tank septic tank, then drained off into the creek about 100 meters away from the house . If in USA, we would have installed a drain field. I researched the regulations about sewage disposal and there is an entire section devoted to constructing and using drain fields. However, when I initially inquired to the contractor and foreman about installing one, all I received was 1,000 yard (meter) blank looks. Oh well... I wanted to do the environmentally correct thing but when in Phils......

Here they do not use leach fields either, at least none that I am aware of.  The popular method seems to be to leave the bottom of the pit open.  That is dig the pit, then cement block the side, and a slab for the top with access, but the bottom is left open.   The penalty for not following the code is only 1000 peso.  I wonder if that, plus lax enforcement, is the reason the code is not being followed? :89:

• Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, JDDavao said:

We had our guys fabricate steel frames with handles and then fill them with cement. Something you might want to think about.

lidded.jpg

lids.jpg

Thanks, JD... going to maybe return to the property tomorrow. I will ask them about this and show them your picks. Seems like a good idea to me.

15 hours ago, hk blues said:

From what I've seen here so far, the standard is to thin cover the perimeter and have a rebar handle inserted - works and a practicality zero cost option - to Western standards no but...

Yeah, that's what I see everywhere. The do seem to work okay because I don't ever smell sewer when near one. I have even seen the covers actually cemented with a thin veneer along the edges of the lids - I guess that is either a precautionary step or perhaps to fix a bit of leaking smell after the fact?

I guess that all the open ditches that carry sewage do remind me a bit of Paris?

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

Love the idea of the step lights Tommy!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

Love the idea of the step lights Tommy!

I refer to them - to myself only - as the romance  lights...

I reckon that, if I fix a special meal for L, with some red wine, then soft music and low lights, then turn on the step lights???? Well... you know...:whistling: Hahaha... I hate the song, but "The Stairway to Heaven," does come to mind...:smile:

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Haha 2