Building a Home in Davao

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

The comments about the stairs are intersting, in Australia my house is single level but the house in CDO is three levels.  I don't go up to the third floor that often but I'm up and down the stair multiple times per day when I'm there and honestly I really notice it when I first arrive from Aussie.  But after a couple of weeks it just becomes part of my routine.  It honestly does become part of my daily excercise.

Tommy I'm really impressed with your house (and your patience) and I'd like to second the comments about 'thanks for sharing it' :) 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

It's okay, JGF... I understand your comment and sentiments. Yeah... there may very well be a chair lift some day. Part of my thinking and plan is that L, who is younger than me, will inherit this place and be able to enjoy it too, long after I am gone. So it's not just for me, but for us.

It's no problem, I have a 3 story house. If I can''t get up the stairs when I get older I will sleep down stairs next to the beer. :56da64a8e0a60_13_4_101:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, jimeve said:

It's no problem, I have a 3 story house. If I can''t get up the stairs when I get older I will sleep down stairs next to the beer. :56da64a8e0a60_13_4_101:

Hahaha... so log as you don't run out! Same with me with the Tanduay!

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, jimeve said:

I've alreay done that on a Friday night after drinking Tanduay with SWMBO's papa... practice for when I'm too old I say. :hystery:

SWMBO says "you're too drunk to go up the stairs it's not safe" (with a face that doesn't know whether to frown or grin) so I slept on a fold out foam in the sala.

Now she comes down stairs when she thinks we've had enough (and her mama comes for her papa) - you should not drink too much, it's bad for your BP (she's right though).

• Like 2

Gas
Posted
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

I may not have stated it properly... There is a septic tank with two chambers, then the black water will run off to the river... The sewer line runs along a public right-of-way to the river. Believe me, I am not happy about this... it runs against all of my beliefs, training and experience...

Not acceptable to me in USA, but that is the way here... In the future, I will really try to install a drain field in the property since there is a lot of area available...

So you do not have pipes for the gray water and everything goes into the septic tank, so it may overflow at some point. We have a two chamber system for our toilets and after 22 years its still not full! 

Edited by Gas

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Gas said:

So you do not have pipes for the gray water and everything goes into the septic tank, so it may overflow at some point. We have a two chamber system for our toilets and after 22 years its still not full! 

So far as I understand, the grey water (runoff from roof and so on) will run separately into it's own "septic tank" before running freely to join the sewer water outflow. Only the house drainage - toilets, sinks, etc. - will flow into the septic tank.

It is a very different method to what I am accustomed to in USA. But this is their system and so I just follow it...

jimeve
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

Hahaha... so log as you don't run out! Same with me with the Tanduay!

Guess what, I pulled a bottle out of the fridge for a drink of water, and pored some Tanduay in by mistake, it was only a bit so out come the pepsi and made myself a nice afternoon drink.

Normally I don't drink in the afternoon but not going to waste it. Sorry going off topic.

Edited by jimeve
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)

I made an unannounced trip to the home site this morning. Usually we tell the foreman we are headed that way so we can meet with him and discuss various things. Today, L is busy with school work (and also trying to get a driver's license - heaven help me!!!) so I traveled solo.

The foreman was apparently off procuring materials but the remaining workers were mostly quite busy. More progress to report with photos:

20200729_091237_resized.jpg

Yeah, I know, the same old photo... But wait... They already raised the fence portion above the tiled part of the fence. Now I can just barely touch a sharp point at the highest spot. Much better in appearance and perhaps a tad more secure?

20200729_091435_resized.jpg

Inside the downstairs common areas, they have already laid about half the tiles and I was heartened to see that it was the journeyman mason doing the work. The white tiles really open up and brighten the space.

20200729_091605_resized.jpg

The downstairs windows are installed but still need the handle/lock assemblies to be complete.

20200729_092247_resized.jpg

Outside view of windows with "canopies," or awnings. I like that they are rather small and not imposing. I think that style goes well with the  rather simple and modern overall design. But I might be wrong too... Any opinions?

20200729_092802_resized.jpg

A guy was working on installing the big sliding door in the master bedroom. It's a cool design allowing the doors to open from either direction. This should be ideal for selecting the best configuration on any given day - or night - to direct cooling breezes.

By the way, I spoke with the glass company engineer last Saturday about the windows. He said they are all 1/4" thick, "annealed," whatever that means. I remember that in USA, most windows tended to be 1/8" thick or so. The thicker glass will help reduce heat transmission from outside and the dark tint will also help reduce glare and heat.

They are quite strong. He told me that, if some miscreant came along to break in, it would take a fair amount of force (and make a huge noise) to do it. He also said that the glass would leave big sections and super-sharp shards and likely impede a would be burglar...or at least slow him down a lot.

I forget if I mentioned this before, so I apologize if this is repeat information. But I find the inside of the home is rather cool, even when there are not many breezes. This bodes well for maybe not needing to use the air/cons much.

20200729_093430_resized.jpg

L is always shocked at my eye for detail... Today I noticed that the roof deck railing and steel work has already been painted with primer and also the analok final coat. I tend to not go up the stairs much now since they don't have railings installed. Soon though!

20200729_094358_resized.jpg

Another view showing open windows and the canopies. I am not convinced I like the pattern to the painting. The top of the canopies is dark, as is the vertical part of the "boxed" part immediately underneath. Then the painter left the underneath of the canopy overhang white (the small section above the vertical box but below the actual cover). My preference is to have all of that dark with just the broad, flat underneath of the canopy remaining white. The "stripe" effect doesn't do it for me. I will discuss it with L tonight when she has some free time.

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 5

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

It's really coming together now Tommy :)

• Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Looking great. :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1