Building a Home in Davao

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

A really quick update to the home-build today.

I took my supervisor along, L, of course! She and the foreman must have talked for 2 hours. Now and then I was invited to join in for my opinion of various parts of the build. There are now a lot of much smaller details to figure out...but we are getting there! Don't get me wrong... I know about all of the design and work, but I don't need nor want to be involved in the endless discussions along the way. L is always incredibly careful to make sure that my say is final (with her approvals:laugh:). Yeah... there are times when I make a "decision," only to have pleading eyes or a bit of opposition. That's okay with me.... it is "our" home, not mine or hers...

We could not walk inside since the tiles have been set on the ground floor and I have made clear that I don't want foot traffic on them for at least 7 days.

20200801_093744_resized.jpg

The foreman is fitting a handrail to the stairs. We found really nice ready-made handrails made of NZ pine (at Citi Hardware) and they come in one complete piece - not glued or fixed together. They have a nice shape with cool indents for the hand grips on the sides.

20200801_094637_resized.jpg

The windows are not yet completed - still need latches and handles - but they look so nice. They are dark enough to totally block views from outside when there is no inside light and they add character to the structure.

But....oooopppss! The electrician placed one of the front door lights in the wrong place. The one on the right of the door frame should be to the right of the slim, vertical window.

The front walkway design by L has been described (maybe for an hour today???) and the front steps are in place.

We also discussed the pattern in which to lay the wood tiles in the three rooms that will have them. We need to maximize appearance and use of materials with as little waste as possible.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
48 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

We could not walk inside since the tiles have been set on the ground floor and I have made clear that I don't want foot traffic on them for at least 7 days.

Yeah? they tell you that so that you don't go inside to See what they are up to. 36 Hours max for Tile settlement and  Adhesive curing. :wink:

• Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
35 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Yeah? they tell you that so that you don't go inside to See what they are up to. 36 Hours max for Tile settlement and  Adhesive curing. :wink:

Ah okay... thanks... I am not expert about this - still learning.

• Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)

So the construction continues...

Yesterday we paid a visit and discussed a few things with the foreman, painter and air/con installer... Yes, air/con installer! Finally, he is installing the compressor units outside the home.

Most discussions are about smaller and more intricate details than before - colour of paint for this or that, how about the location of this light? And how to arrange the tiles for the kitchen backsplash or the wet bar alcove?

20200807_084419_resized.jpg

Ah.... they installed the real wood flooring in the guest bedroom. It looks wonderful!

20200807_085741_resized.jpg

They have installed some of the handrails for the stairs and beefed up the steel supports. They are super solid now - I am pleased!

20200807_102958_resized.jpg

The hand rails are really beautiful NZ pine with nice grain. We instructed the foreman to perhaps use a varnish with tint, but mainly to allow the lovely grain to show.

20200807_090206_resized.jpg

Three of the four compressor units for the air/cons...still boxed up.

20200807_102059_resized.jpg

And one of the bigger compressor units out and ready to install. By the way, the air/con installer is an independent contractor for Emcor but worked for them as an employee before that. He is very sharp and pointed out that the circuit breaker for one of the units was too high a value and would not trip in the event of a short circuit... nice that he is so thorough. He will be the one we will contract to do cleanings and any service. He also agreed that Panasonic does make quality air/con units.... Good to hear from the guy who services them.

20200807_102813_resized.jpg

I was pleased to note that the units were made in Malaysia and NOT in China!

20200807_092913_resized.jpg

The tiles on the master bedroom terrace are beautiful and should last a long time.

20200807_092920_resized.jpg

Ah... my supervisor and the foreman and air/con guy working out a solution for a glitch in the construction. The "cove" lighting system is restricting the air/con unit in the master bedroom so some adjustments must be made. She'll be right, Mate!

20200807_110243_resized.jpg

The journeyman mason extends the post to match the raised steel bars by the main car entrance.

20200807_110832_resized.jpg

L and the foreman and another guy talked for almost an hour about the layout for the walkway from the "human" gate to the front door. We want a nice, curved way that will also be workable with wheelchairs - if needed - in the future. I trust L completely with design issues. The walkway will have green on both sides and the car park area is centered where I am standing.

20200807_092808_resized.jpg

This is the master bedroom CR... not much to look at now in this photo, but I was checking it out and I like that it is larger than the "standard" size CR/shower in most homes here. I like to have a big CR - just a personal preference...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 4
  • Love it 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

I know I've said it before but thanks for all of the update photos Tommy T :)

And it looks like you're finally down to the last parts now (which much be a relief).

• Thanks 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted

The aircons can sometimes be an issue.  Good for you on your choice and the installer.  Sounds like a good tech.  Stick with him for service like you mentioned and any future issues should be minimal.  What is your hope for moving in, about a month from now?

• Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
21 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

And it looks like you're finally down to the last parts now (which much be a relief).

Thanks for your supporting comments, Geoff. I really do appreciate them!

But there is still a ways to go before completion. I am thinking at least another month before move-in time...:sad:

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, intrepid said:

The aircons can sometimes be an issue.  Good for you on your choice and the installer.  Sounds like a good tech.  Stick with him for service like you mentioned and any future issues should be minimal.  What is your hope for moving in, about a month from now?

Yeah... hoping for one more month only. But then....

L and I are pleased with the air/con installer... he is sharp and smart. And we really preferred to have the installer also be the maintenance and service guy. This way, there won't be any finger pointing in the (I believe to be unlikely) event of any problems. I haven't compared prices or anything else... I just want the same guy who installs to be the guy to service. This guy knows his products, has years of experience (so is not a "cowboy"), so any problems and he is "the man!"

Another "by the way," comment. Every time we visit the home site, we find it is not as hot as in the city proper. So we are already thinking that just the ceiling fans and maybe a floor fan may keep the temperatures bearable most of the time. Perhaps we won't use the air/con units very much... It really is quite pleasant there during our daytime visits...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)

So, here we are almost a year from the beginning. We can now see the end is approaching!

IMG-20200812-WA0002.jpg

The wet bar on second floor. Here we see the  bit of tiling for the wall and the locating of the sink. L gets pissed when I tell her it looks like a toilet bowl... But it was her choice so I smile and say - "just kidding."

20200812_090834_resized_1.jpg

IMG-20200811-WA0000.jpg

Here is the driveway, underway. For some reason, they could not figure out the pattern using the form we gave them, but this pattern works fine...

IMG-20200811-WA0001.jpg

They made the cement walkway and it turned out okay too. It has a funny glitch in the curve near the far end, but they already made some sketches to guide them to simply cut it right with their saw. They made the sidewalk with a rough surface using dry cement powder so it won't be slippery. These guys are very careful and do as we ask or suggest.

20200812_091414_resized_1.jpg

IMG-20200812-WA0006.jpg

The roof deck looks really nice with the tiles installed. To the left is the location for the water tank, should we decide to install one - water in and out and power for a pump...

IMG-20200812-WA0007.jpg

Stair entrance to the roof deck and CR entrance.

IMG-20200812-WA0003.jpg

Master bedroom terrace, now with all tiles installed - I preferred something light coloured but not shiny so there would not be much glare.

IMG-20200812-WA0004.jpg

Master bedroom about half tiled with the bamboo flooring. We love the look of the flooring. It is also thicker than we remembered when shopping for it - close to about 1/2". It adds a warm feel to the rooms, yet does not seem too dark.

20200812_093932_resized_1.jpg

IMG-20200812-WA0023.jpg

The sliding door for the master bedroom, the nice wood flooring and the view...

20200812_091847_resized_1.jpg

The stairs... Goodness, but we and the foreman have spent hours and days working them out to be what we liked and what they could create. And look at the mess of cables and other stuff as the project continues!

IMG-20200812-WA0008.jpg

Always have to include the standard photo of the home as it nears completion. It looks better every visit!!! We are really getting stoked for moving in!!

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 5

Viking
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Master bedroom about half tiled with the bamboo flooring. We love the look of the flooring. It is also thicker than we remembered when shopping for it - close to about 1/2". It adds a warm feel to the rooms, yet does not seem too dark.

20200812_093932_resized_1.jpg

Your house looks really great Tommy and I understand you are looking forward to move in :thumbsup:

But the picture above made me think, it looks like the  short side joints in the flooring are all in line, from left side toward the terrace. If that is the case I am not sure thats a good idea? Usually joints are offset to minimize problems.  Sometimes  a joint like that is done in big floors so that the floor can move a little bit, but then it is necessary to leave a gap, that is covered with a strip.

I wish our house was like yours :tiphat:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1