Building a Home in Davao

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, RBM said:

Without going through all the posts, what did you decide on the joinery? Lamination, ply or what? curious.  Love the view just what the Doc ordered Tommy

Thanks for your comments, RBM.

We decided on OTR (On The Rock), a Korean outfit that has a few branches in the country. Their normal construction uses regular plywood. We specified "marine ply," which generally seems to be decent quality here. It is laminated inside and out and pre-treated with Solignum. Countertops will be granite composite.

We wanted to use the premium Santa Clara, but it was a bit too expensive and they said they would not work with that. I think they are afraid of making mistakes and losing money correcting them.

They offered term payments that gave lower totals with speedier and bigger payments. We said...fine...what'll you do for cash up front. They had to check with the owner and came back with a cost almost 50% of the original quote. So we took the chance and went with that. Yesterday they started installing.

The bad thing about their work is that we spoke with a sales girl at the beginning. Then with their designer. Then someone came out to the house, took measurements, asked many questions and said he would confirm the final specs with the fabricators and installers. So the installers showed up yesterday and they are a contracted 3rd party. Nice guys and very capable. However, with each step, we had to describe which way the refrigerator door opened (that makes a big difference for cabinet design), the size of the stove (which we don't yet have), the range exhaust fan, etc. This...even though there is a set of plans for the kitchen. The guy who came out for the "final" measurements was not part of the installation crew.

So we ended up going over everything at least three or four times with various people to get the design right. It was tiring. They are so compartmentalized that there was little to no continuity with the process. So much talk talk talk...repeat repeat repeat... Their product quality is very high and we think it looks great.

We have been finding a similar situation with EMCOR. They have an in-house sales staff and service staff, then an independent third party installation and service sub-contractor. Oh...and three different people counted the money when I brought it in for the pre-payment. They are certainly careful about money.

Edited by Tommy T.

RBM
Posted
Posted

We decided on OTR (On The Rock), a Korean outfit that has a few branches in the country. Their normal construction uses regular plywood. We specified "marine ply," which generally seems to be decent quality here. We wanted to use the premium Santa Clara, but it was a bit too expensive and they said they would not work with that. I think they are afraid of making mistakes and losing money correcting them.

When we built this was our most difficult choice. Finally we bit the bullet and went for lamination which looks excellent but sadly does not last. Within about 3 years it started warping and the lamination lifting, we did use one of the most popular and well known  companies in Cebu.

I once built a small pump boat with santa clara marine and was not impressed, still testing in salt water compared to a kitchen is unfair.

Personally would ensure the ply is well treated against termites before painting, appear paint does not deter these critters.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

We have been finding a similar situation with EMCOR. They have an in-house sales staff and service staff, then an independent third party installation and service sub-contractor. Oh...and three different people counted the money when I brought it in for the pre-payment. They are certainly careful about money.

Again this must be a local situation as where I am the everything is in-house with EMCOR - the installers and service guys are theirs - or at least were wearing EMCOR logo blue T-shirts.  This was in January so things may have changed but  I hope not.

jimeve
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Then they will paint with an epoxy primer.

If they use that make sure it's 2 part epoxy primer or they could use Red Oxide primer. Make sure the give it 2 coats and get a decent brand, Boysen or Davies. Then topcoat with a suitable metal paint.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Viking
Posted
Posted
On 8/22/2020 at 2:26 AM, Tommy T. said:

Here are photos and brief descriptions of the ongoing work:

20200820_091247_resized.jpg

Ah... the front steps... There were some leftover tiles from the interior flooring so we used them for the front steps.

Hello Tommy! It´s always with great joy I look at your pictures and read about the progress of your build.

Just my thought about the pic above, be careful with regular tiles on the front steps, they can be very slippery when wet or when stepped on with wet shoes. I would make sure they have some kind of anti-slippery surface before I would use them in a place that is exposed to water. Maybe you already thought of this, but it is hard to tell, from looking at the pictures.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Viking said:

Hello Tommy! It´s always with great joy I look at your pictures and read about the progress of your build.

Just my thought about the pic above, be careful with regular tiles on the front steps, they can be very slippery when wet or when stepped on with wet shoes. I would make sure they have some kind of anti-slippery surface before I would use them in a place that is exposed to water. Maybe you already thought of this, but it is hard to tell, from looking at the pictures.

Thanks for your comments, Viking.

We carefully considered the floor tiles to use in the kitchen and common areas. We chose a flat finish granite that has some texture to it. It feels a bit like old 60 or 80 grit sandpaper - not as rough as the sandpaper, but definitely a bit of texture. I don't like the shiny flooring because I do find it very slippery when wet and I also wanted to reduce glare from sunlight. L wanted more of a glossy finish because easier to clean. But I explained about wanting a bit of grip and, here in the apartment, slightly texture, mat finish tiles don't seem difficult to clean.

I guess my photo does not show it, but the front porch is under the pronounced overhang from the 2nd floor terrace. That should keep it dry in non-windy rains. But you make a good point and we will see what happens. I guess we can always find a way to texturize it more if it does not feel secure when wet...

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Thanks for your comments, Viking.

We carefully considered the floor tiles to use in the kitchen and common areas. We chose a flat finish granite that has some texture to it. It feels a bit like old 60 or 80 grit sandpaper - not as rough as the sandpaper, but definitely a bit of texture. I don't like the shiny flooring because I do find it very slippery when wet and I also wanted to reduce glare from sunlight. L wanted more of a glossy finish because easier to clean. But I explained about wanting a bit of grip and, here in the apartment, slightly texture, mat finish tiles don't seem difficult to clean.

I guess my photo does not show it, but the front porch is under the pronounced overhang from the 2nd floor terrace. That should keep it dry in non-windy rains. But you make a good point and we will see what happens. I guess we can always find a way to texturize it more if it does not feel secure when wet...

As it's a small area, if worst comes to worst you can simply replace with a fully non-slip tile or alternatively there are adhesive strips that can be added to existing tiles - i'm dubious as to how well they'd stand up to outdoor use though.

• Like 1

graham59
Posted
Posted

You could also just put sections of rubber mat down on the tiled steps, during rainy season.  :smile:

• Like 1